If it's true that Showalter wasn't AM's pick...

ChaosLex

How does the Showalter hire make you feel, if indeed he wasn't AM's pick?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. How does the Showalter hire make you feel, if indeed he wasn't AM's pick?

• Good. AM deserved to be overruled. Showalter is clearly the appropriate solution
    • Meh
    • Mad. AM should have full authority of the team period.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You aren't getting the real issue though...its not that AM wanted Wedge more...its WHY he wanted him more.

For once I think it's you connecting a few dots that aren't connected here.

You claim I don't know why AM wanted Wedge more and I don't...but honestly you don't either.

A source told Orioles Hangout that Showalter wanted a lot more control than any other manager in Major League Baseball. The source also said that Showalter wanted “TOTAL control of the organization, from player personnel to player development, to scouting, both Pro and Amateur.”

It’s doubtful that the Orioles were going to give him that much control, but that sounds a lot more like a general manager than field manager. The source also claims that Showalter was Peter Angelos’ choice and not Andy MacPhail’s. According to the source, MacPhail wanted Eric Wedge to be manager.

The source first says he wanted more control. First off you don't actually know he got it or how much he got if any at all. I'm guessing he didn't get EVERYTHING he wanted. But neither of us know. Read the next line bolded. The article even casts doubt that it even happened.

Then the source in an oddly connected paragraph, which should probably be separated follows with saying that it wasn't AM's choice. It doesn't say why it was AM's choice. Or by how much. You want to paint a bleak picture about why and how go right ahead. But honestly that's now how I read that article.

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of those being the possible reasons as being superiorly bad for the team.

But maybe AM just really liked Wedge. And maybe it's the things you say. I voted Meh in this poll because you just don't know. And honestly I've been in 1 vs. 1a situations. Some seemed to be based on jealousy and power struggles and others genuine precedents.

You are more than just in your desire to be skeptical of this team but the right man, in most if not all of our opinions, has been hired. If you want to find the bad in a good situation go right ahead. But I'm thinking 1a is still much better than DT or Juan Samuel for the long term prospects of this club.

How on earth am i doing that?

My only concern is the GM/manager as one person thing.

It says a lot to me about AM, but nothing that I didn't already know. It just shows that he preferred a guy like Eric Wedge who he could control and who wouldn't voice opinions about personnel or development.

AM is clearly out of touch and I am not surprised that Angelos had to step in. This is just another indication of how far we have to go as an organization.

MSK

Where are the facts that this is true?

For which part?

The fact that there were reports that AM preferred Wedge and now we have Showalter.

The fact that Showalter wants to have greater say and AM prefers to keep things tightly under his own control (per Tony's expose).

Just look at what's going on and read between the lines.

MSK

Here:

You aren't getting the real issue though...its not that AM wanted Wedge more...its WHY he wanted him more.

If its true that PA wanted him more than AM, then he likely doesn't want to lose power(not that i blame him)...However, that also tells me he is looking out for himself more than the good of the team and I have a huge problem with that.

asparagus

Really? So, what are you trying to say about Tony?

Tony reported what his source said. You and others are running with that as if it was video tape. What if the source is wrong? What about the fact that Cal Ripken said that Macphail is the main reason that he is interested in working with the Orioles. What are you saying about Cal?

For which part?

The fact that there were reports that AM preferred Wedge and now we have Showalter.

The fact that Showalter wants to have greater say and AM prefers to keep things tightly under his own control (per Tony's expose).

Just look at what's going on and read between the lines.

MSK

Yes, just make assumptions that support our negative feelings about AM :rolleyes:

Wow....Did you know it also illegal to pass on the right when you are driving? Do you never do that? LOL

Wow, you are really dense. Right.over.your.head. Both times, nonetheless.

God, it's the rough equivalent of saying something like this:

Gambling is wrong, I don't want to do it. Please don't contact me about it.

Tony reported what his source said. You and others are running with that as if it was video tape. What if the source is wrong? What about the fact that Cal Ripken said that Macphail is the main reason that he is interested in working with the Orioles. What are you saying about Cal?

But Tony obviously trusts his source and had it collabarated. We also heard it from other national guys.

But the article rightly points out that it's very likely the O's did this.

And I'm not inclined to think that's happened either. Where did you get any inclination that it has happened other than Buck saying he wanted it.

Machado probably said he wanted 12 mill. Doesn't mean it has any chance of actually happening. Indirect sources and quotes out of context can lead you to believe something that isn't true. In this case I don't think Buck is getting to be the all being power in the O's. But I'm sure he was promised some kind of influence.

Just seems that you're quick to point out a flaw that the article casts immediate doubts on, and one that has an inside source. If he was given that kind of control wouldn't the source be outing that kind of information too?

Wow, you are really dense. Right.over.your.head. Both times, nonetheless.

God, it's the rough equivalent of saying something like this:

Gambling is wrong, I don't want to do it. Please don't contact me about it.

LOL..No I got it...Just thought it was really really lame. That's why I was laughing.

You bring it up and then say, its wrong and I won't do it.

Archived