Wynn Pelzer

section36

First, we clearly DID eat some contract, if there's money being exchanged. What money would the Pads give us towards Pelzer's MiLB contract?

Second, how much do you think 2 months of a guy who has put up a .680 OPS and a WAR of .1 over 100 games is worth?

So Pelzer regressed this year. That's what you get in these trades. It's a solid haul. A C+/B- at a minimum, in my book. BA has his FB and SL as the best in organization and Sickels has him at No. 5 in the Pads system.

No, you're right, a "D" is appropriate, based on Tejada's "reputation."

I agree Tejada has struggled. I was just hoping they could get something better. Maybe a position player. I doubt we ever see Pelzer in an Orioles uniform. I was hoping for an infielder.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree Tejada has struggled. I was just hoping they could get something better. Maybe a position player. I doubt we ever see Pelzer in an Orioles uniform. I was hoping for an infielder.

Elaborate??? I am guessing we see him next year.

To confirm...#5 in the Padres system.

And #16 in 2009.

I've just got the BA Prospect Handbook for 2009, but I see "bulldog mentality" and "isn't afraid to pitch inside" and also "tremendous presence" listed for him.

Sounds like a nice bullpen arm prospect, so we might have got something good back.

Anything for Tejada is a plus I agree.

Elaborate??? I am guessing we see him next year.

Maybe. He could turn the page and be a great reliever for all I know. I just was hoping the Orioles would get a bat of any kind since their minor league system is extremely weak with position players. Hopefully Bell steps up and crushes bombs in Camden now that nobody is "blocking" him.

Pelzer has 41 hit batsmen in 364 innings in the minors. That's an impressive number. Heck, Daniel Cabrera only has 19 hit batsmen in about about the same number of innings in the minors.

I say we call Pelzer up in September when we play the Yankees this year. :D

Pelzer has 41 hit batsmen in 364 innings in the minors. That's an impressive number. Heck, Daniel Cabrera only has 19 hit batsmen in about about the same number of innings in the minors.

I say we call Pelzer up in September when we play the Yankees this year. :D

I repeat - the second coming of Alan Mills.

Fail trades for Win. My brain is completely blown.

Regardless, this is a pretty good haul for a player past his prime to the point where he probably shouldn't still be wearing a major league uniform. Like everyone has been saying, a guy with a .670 OPS shouldn't have had ANY trade value at all, so that we got a young pitcher with a good arm is something we should all be relatively pleased with. I don't realistically see how we could have gotten more for Tejada.

Also it's important to remember that we are probably trading for Wynn Pelzer the RELIEVER rather than Wynn Pelzer the STARTER. By the looks of it, there's going to be a big difference there. His performance in Double-A shows that he doesn't have the command to be a starter, but it looks like he genuinely has the arm strength and ability to miss bats to be a reliever. Might be a total waste of time, but I don't feel bad seeing them trade a useless, aging veteran for someone that, at worst, could be described as interesting.

And nobody can tell me that these career minor league stats scream CLOSER MATERIAL more than these stats.

So was this guy on the pads 40 man roster? If not are we going to have to add him in the offseason to avoid the rule 5 draft?

nah, don't worry about it. this is just his third pro season. we won't need to add him to the 40 until 2012.

So was this guy on the pads 40 man roster? If not are we going to have to add him in the offseason to avoid the rule 5 draft?

He is in his 3rd year in the minors, so he shouldn't be on the 40-man, but I think he has to be added this offseason. However, I don't know that another team is likely to claim the guy.

Pelzer's current stats...he'll no doubt get much better when he lands in the O's minor leagues player development.

2010 SeasonTeam	League	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVGSA	TEX	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.277Minors	 	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.277

Nah, I'm thinking this trade is more of this......

Pelzer's current stats...he'll no doubt get much better when he lands in the O's minor leagues player development.
2010 SeasonTeam	League	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVGSA	TEX	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.277Minors	 	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.277

Nah, I'm thinking this trade is more of this......

That youtube post was already used. It isn't funny anymore.

He is going to be converted into a reliever and pitching is not something we have a problem developing in the minors.

Archived