Wynn Pelzer

section36

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, IF the Padres end up netting a pick or 2 for Miggy..good for them.

But that doesn't change anything from the Orioles perspective here.

First of all, a lot of the reason that would happen is if he gets to the point where he was playing well and doesn't accept arbitration...and if that happens, who knows if it would have if he wasn't in the heat of a pennant race.

The orioles got a player that may be close to the equivalent of a comp pick anyway, so no biggie there.

Wow, this is a pretty bad trade if you ask me. Wynn Pelzer has some garbage minor league stats and he is another pitcher. We have plenty of those in the minors. For a starting thirdbasemen with Tejada's rep I would think you could have gotten more.

I rate this trade a D. And yeah, I know it opens the door for Bell but I would have hoped the Orioles would have gotten a better prospect than Pelzer.

You also thought the Escobar trade was bad for Toronto so............................

It just amuses the hell out of me when folks who don't have a clue what they're talking about go on the offensive trying to show other folks up. Tell us again how awful this trade is, big guy. We're all listening with baited breath. I sincerely appreciate the amusement. Maybe next you'll adopt the JTrea tactic and tell us how "we already have too much pitching". lol

I've written it before, but I'll write it again. Thank God some of you don't run this team. This trade is a really good one. I applaud Andy for getting someone with this much upside for 2 months of a 3B with a 680 OPS. I'm amazed the Pads did it to be honest.

Once again you choose to embarrass yourself with your inflated unwarranted sense of self worth. No clue, eh? No clue about what pray tell? You've been applauding/defending this this franchise's management blindly all the way to the worst record in baseball. Only a true genius like yourself could justify such a long and consistent record of futility.

Just keep it up with the personal attacks. We all know how that's a significant part of your modus operandi here when you can't seriously contribute to a thread. Always remember, however, some people are better at it than you. ;)

L'audace, l'audace,toujours l'audace!

I didn't pick on you until you decided to screw with AO who is both a more knowledgable poster than you AND a guy who never gives anyone crap. I wish I could just ignore stuff like you're posts, but I can't when they do this sort of stuff. AO rises above it. Good for him.

Anyway, you're the man. Tell us again how bad the trade is. Your analysis was riveting.

Hey you were the one raving about Pelzer's "upside". I've already posted his stats for this year that have you so enthralled.

Can I at least guess and say it was his WHIP that jumped out at you and made you such a big fan of his and MacPhails in this transaction?

Hey you were the one raving about Pelzer's "upside". I've already posted his stats for this year that have you so enthralled.

Can I at least guess and say it was his WHIP that jumped out at you and made you such a big fan of his and MacPhails in this transaction?

I think maybe the point is that just copying stats off the internet doesn't mean anything. You need to understand what's significant about them. You also need to know what the stats don't tell you. Anybody who is making a big deal about a subset of his 1-year stats doesn't understand what to do with the numbers. It's not as simple as some folks seem to think it is...

Question was limited to the O's system. McCrory, based on physicality and stuff, was the closest I could think of off the top of my head. If you have a better comp, I'm happy to listen and agree.

Ok, I see your reasoning then...but what does that say about the state of our farm system on the pitching side? I feel like the starting pitching prospects we tend to develop are potential Brian Burres or Mark Hendrickson types rather than guys we can immediately add as power arms to the bullpen. We need more David Hernandez types in the organization and I'm not sure I see many...Brandon Erbe maybe, or somebody else I'm forgetting?

Yup, his 2010 WHIP is the basically the whole story. Way to cover the bases. The 8 K/9. The great GB/FB ratio. The rating as having the best fastball and slider in the Padres org. The rating as being their #5 prospect before this season and #17 prospect before last season. The results from the previous season. Those things just scream "organizational filler" as you wrote in the other thread. Thanks again for educating me with that 2010 WHIP stat. AM doesn't know what he is doing in this trade, but you've got thing nailed. Preach on brother...

Oh, and I then presume that I could also hazard a guess that you would be willing to bet your impeccable (I really wanted to use another word, but...) reputation by saying that Pelzer would have a solid MLB (middle reliever) career based on your self proclaimed expert analysis of his "upside".

Would you put him on par with a Scot Shields or a Fernando Rodney type? With "upside" wouldn't those guys be his comparables?

I think maybe the point is that just copying stats off the internet doesn't mean anything. You need to understand what's significant about them. You also need to know what the stats don't tell you. Anybody who is making a big deal about a subset of his 1-year stats doesn't understand what to do with the numbers. It's not as simple as some folks seem to think it is...

Here they all are....

2005-Present:Year	Team	League	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG2008	FW	MID	9	6	3.19	29	23	0	0	0	118.1	114	64	42	9	32	100	1.76	.2482008	LE	CAL	0	0	27.00	1	0	0	0	0	1.0	3	4	3	0	1	0	2.00	.5002008	Minors	 	9	6	3.39	30	23	0	0	0	119.1	117	68	45	9	33	100	1.76	.2512009	LE	CAL	11	8	3.94	27	27	0	0	0	150.2	134	76	66	6	59	147	2.00	.2442009	Minors	 	11	8	3.94	27	27	0	0	0	150.2	134	76	66	6	59	147	2.00	.2442010	SA	TEX	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.2772010	Minors	 	6	9	4.20	22	18	0	0	0	94.1	102	57	44	9	56	83	1.25	.277

I hope you're not suggesting we're somehow not seeing the "intangibles" thing? Like the ones Jordan was touting with Hobgood last year? I hope.

Oh, and I then presume that I could also hazard a guess that you would be willing to bet your impeccable (I really wanted to use another word, but...) reputation by saying that Pelzer would have a solid MLB (middle reliever) career based on your self proclaimed expert analysis of his "upside".

Would you put him on par with a Scot Shields or a Fernando Rodney type? With "upside" wouldn't those guys be his comparables?

The reality is we don't know what the guy's upside is as a reliever. He has a very good slider and a very good fastball from reports on him. He has just recently been put in a reliever role. We don't know how he will handle it. I like the idea of a guy with two plus pitches and he was slated by BA to be the Pads closer by year 2013. There is some potential in his arm and to get that type of upside for Tejada is good.

It is not an Earth shattering move, but at least there was a purpose behind it. Get a player with high upside for a guy who has no use on the club next year and open up a spot for a prospect to evaluate him for the rest of the season.

I am not sure why you have to be so against this move. So you don't like the guy's potential. So what? We still opened up a spot for Bell for the rest of the season.

Archived