What to do with Matusz???

webbrick2010

No reason???

How about a >14 ERA over his last 4 starts???

I get it this board is somehow emotionally invested in Brian Matusz being a competent major league starter.... so exactly how bad does he have to pitch before anyone on OH thinks a change in course is warranted???

First full season in the bigs dude and no way in hell he should have been pulled by Samuel. SG is right, you are trolling.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to let these young guys pitch and take their lumps. Matusz cruised through the first 3 innings and then got into a jam. Maybe he would relax a little bit if he knew he wasn't going to get pulled as soon as he got into trouble. Let him pitch his way out of it. If he gives up 10 runs, who cares? He might just cruise through another 3 innings. Same goes for the other young guys as well. They have nothing to prove at AAA. They need to learn how to pitch to major league hitters.

No reason???

I get it this board is somehow emotionally invested in Brian Matusz being a competent major league starter.... so exactly how bad does he have to pitch before anyone on OH thinks a change in course is warranted???

What good does putting our best pitching prospect in the bullpen. This isn't Jason Berken we're talking about who everyone was skeptical could even stick in the big leagues as a starter? No, this is Brian Matusz. Putting him the bullpen because he's struggling accomplishes nothing. Looking at four starts while ignoring the fact that prior to that he'd been solid in the majority of his other starts is unbelievably short sighted and missing the point. How are we supposed to know if this guy can pitch in the big leagues if he comes in to face one batter at a time, which is essentially what you're suggesting. We don't, and you know what it will mean? It will mean the Orioles are even more incompetent and an abomination than anyone thought we already are.

Putting Brian Matusz in the bullpen to be a situational guy accomplishes NOTHING.

I'm no expert, but from what I'm seeing, his problems are all mechanical. His stride isn't consistent from pitch to pitch and his arm angle drops from time to time. It's as if once he gets all off-kilter mechanically, he can't get himself righted. I'm sure Kranny told Samuel to go get him last night because he's noticed the same thing. There's no sense in leaving him out there (during last night's game) if once he loses his delivery he can't find it again. To me it seems like the classic case of trying too hard. As noted previously in this thread, he needs a vote of confidence that he will be taking the ball every 5 days and work himself out of it. Hopefully as he regains his confidence, he will loosen up and just pitch.

He'll be fine.

No reason???

I'd rather have him LEARN how to pitch at the ML level as a starter in a lost and meaningless year than have him do that in year that means something. The best thing for him is to go out their every 5 days...

Can't believe there isn't any discussion of Matusz after yet another dreadful start. I don't see how they can keep him in the rotation. I believe he needs to spend the rest of the year at AAA with Tillman. I was shouted down in May for posting that I though he would be nothing more than a situational lefty out of the bullpen, but do any of you guys still believe he should remain in the ML rotation???

He will be here for years regardless of how he pitches. You need someone to throw the ball to the catcher. Even if it never gets that far

Just to clarify...

You want to move the organization's prized SP prospect to a "Will Ohman role" because he's had 4 bad starts in a row?

No to clarify. I am on record as stating that I believe he will eventually end up as a situational lefty somewhere in the majors. I do not believe that anyone should give up on him now.

What I am proposing for right now is that he spend the rest of the season at AAA as a starter. If he looks great at AAA we could give him a start or two in September to hopefully build his confidence.

I do not see him working things out in the big league rotation.

What good does putting our best pitching prospect in the bullpen. This isn't Jason Berken we're talking about who everyone was skeptical could even stick in the big leagues as a starter? No, this is Brian Matusz. Putting him the bullpen because he's struggling accomplishes nothing. Looking at four starts while ignoring the fact that prior to that he'd been solid in the majority of his other starts is unbelievably short sighted and missing the point. How are we supposed to know if this guy can pitch in the big leagues if he comes in to face one batter at a time, which is essentially what you're suggesting. We don't, and you know what it will mean? It will mean the Orioles are even more incompetent and an abomination than anyone thought we already are.

Putting Brian Matusz in the bullpen to be a situational guy accomplishes NOTHING.

I never suggested putting him in the bullpen. I suggested sending him to AAA for the remainder of the season.

I do believe he will eventually end up a bullpen pitcher but he should be afforded every opportunity over the next year to porve he is a starter. I just think AAA is the place for him to right the ship.

I never suggested putting him in the bullpen. I suggested sending him to AAA for the remainder of the season.

I do believe he will eventually end up a bullpen pitcher but he should be afforded every opportunity over the next year to porve he is a starter. I just think AAA is the place for him to right the ship.

You never suggested putting him in the bullpen but yet you started your OP with....

I was shouted down in May for posting that I though he would be nothing more than a situational lefty out of the bullpen...

Archived