Alfredo Simon stinks

MZ HAMMER

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was actually surprised to see Buck go to Simon again. I thought he would be bold/original enough in this case to go direct to Gonzalez. Oh, well, next time...

The stats they gave in the booth for Simon over the last few appearances (I forget how many) were shockingly bad: 7+ ERA, .390+ OBP, etc.

Obviously, he hasn't been pitching well and Showalter doesn't have much confidence in him. It's why Gonzalez was up so quick and ultimately replaced him in the 9th. That said, he was also 2 for 2 under Buck heading into tonight. I think that counted for something even though Buck marches to his own tune and said a few days ago he didn't have a set closer. Simon was going to get most of the chances until he failed. I think Buck will continue to mix and match but ultimately Gonzalez will get the majority of the save opps the rest of the year.

I think that counted for something even though Buck marches to his own tune and said a few days ago he didn't have a set closer.
When did he say this? I know after the first game he said something like he "knows the save rule and doesn't really care for it", but I hadn't heard him saying he doesn't have a set closer. I think he does have a set closer, or at least did until Simon has coughed up a gopher ball in each of his last two opportunities. I just think Buck might be the type of manager that doesn't automatically go to his set closer to start the 9th inning every single time it is a save situation, or if he does, doesn't give him as much rope every time out as some other guys get.

Simon is our 3rd or 4th best bullpen arm at best. He's done decently as our closer, but I think its apparent that guys like Hernandez, Koji, Gonzalez, and maybe even Berken and Johnson are more effective than him. I do think he can be a guy that we're happy to have around in the pen, but I don't think he's going to be a major impact guy in the bullpen. He's like a slightly better Jorge Julio, which isn't a bad thing, but its not a great thing either.

Archived