Is Ozzie Right? Or is he missing the point?

Dr. FLK

Do you agree with Ozzie?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Ozzie?

"I say, why do we have Japanese interpreters and we don't have a Spanish one. I always say that. Why do they have that privilege and we don't?" Guillen said Sunday. "Don't take this wrong, but they take advantage of us. We bring a Japanese player and they are very good and they bring all these privileges to them. We bring a Dominican kid ... go to the minor leagues, good luck. Good luck. And it's always going to be like that. It's never going to change. But that's the way it is."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/08/ozzie_guillen_weighs_in_on_dis.html

At first listen, I thought I agreed with him. But, when I thought about it more, I think he's way off base. For one thing, players who speak Spanish can much more readily find someone - most likely within the clubhouse - with whom to communicate. And, secondly, the Japaneese players who come over here are ML-ready. The 'young latino players' as Ozzie calls them, usually come over and have to work their way up. Does he expect MLB to line up translators for every Dominican player who signs a minor league contract?

Do you agree or disagree? Explain...

I don't think they need individual translators, but should probably have one assigned per minor league team. That shouldn't be too hard to implement. Also, if there isn't a person whose job it is to get the Dominicans and South Americans a support group or life coach or whatever to get them acclimated to living in the US, I think that should be something they do right away.

I sort of lump Ozzie in with Jose Canseco, in the sense that while the messanger is a moron there is some underlying truth to the message. On the specific issue of translators he is overstating his case. But I find this very believable...

Don't take this wrong, but they take advantage of us. We bring a Japanese player and they are very good and they bring all these privileges to them. We bring a Dominican kid ... go to the minor leagues, good luck. Good luck. And it's always going to be like that. It's never going to change. But that's the way it is

There is a simple reason to suspect this is true. Namely, 16 yr olds in the Dominican are facing a much different future if they stay on their island than a Japanese kid or a Korean kid. So it takes more to lure them away. And baseball is not likely to do more than it has to. So I tend to believe that baseball does less to accommodate a Dominican kid, and I suspect that will not change.

Of course it is not necessarily as bleak as Ozzie says either. There are a lot more Latino kids in the minors than there are Korean or Japanese. There are also more Latino coaches, even if there are not enough. So there is much more likely to be a support network in place to help kids deal with these supposed inequalities.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/08/ozzie_guillen_weighs_in_on_dis.html

At first listen, I thought I agreed with him. But, when I thought about it more, I think he's way off base. For one thing, players who speak Spanish can much more readily find someone - most likely within the clubhouse - with whom to communicate. And, secondly, the Japaneese players who come over here are ML-ready. The 'young latino players' as Ozzie calls them, usually come over and have to work their way up. Does he expect MLB to line up translators for every Dominican player who signs a minor league contract?

Do you agree or disagree? Explain...

You're spot on here. If they really need some help at low-level, out-of-the-way minor league affiliates where there may not be an interpreter or someone else to assist, then the club should try to get them a little help. Otherwise, it's really apples and oranges as you pointed out.

On top of the other reasons already cited, Japanese to English is so much harder to learn than Spanish to English, latin based languages. There are absolutely no similarities between Japanese and English. You may as well be speaking Martian when going from Japanese to English, or the other way around. Not to mention the differences in the written form characters and all.

Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world to English. It's not very hard to find a person to speak either in this country, especially in the game of baseball, and it's not very hard to learn. For people who speak Spanish or English it's pretty intuitive to learn the other. Comprende Ozzie?

This is the most maddening part, and sounds borderline racist, "they bring all these privileges". What are all these other privileges that you speak of??

On top of the other reasons already cited, Japanese to English is so much harder to learn than Spanish to English, latin based languages. There are absolutely no similarities between Japanese and English. You may as well be speaking Martian when going from Japanese to English, or the other way around. Not to mention the differences in the written form characters and all.

Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world to English. It's not very hard to find a person to speak either in this country, especially in the game of baseball, and it's not very hard to learn. For people who speak Spanish or English it's pretty intuitive to learn the other. Comprende Ozzie?

This is the most maddening part, and sounds borderline racist, "they bring all these privileges". What are all these other privileges that you speak of??

Well when you constantly look through the prism of race...it's not hard to understand why Ozzie feels the way he does.

Maybe it's easy to say that as a white guy, but it's not like the other latinos in baseball are backing Ozzie on this, are they? I haven't seen anyone supporting him here.

I am glad that Ozzie Guillen's time with the Oriole's was brief and that he did not try to stick around our organization.

Is there a bigger idiot in sport's today? The last person that I can think of that was this much of a moron was John Rocker.

I know that he won a World Series with the White Sox but that was mostly shrewd player management by their aggressive and bold GM. ( It would be nice to have one of those..)

Guillen is a Grade A moron and I hope that his team finishes far out of the playoff race.

I am just glad that he is associated with the White Sox and not the O's, we do not need any more negative vibes around here.

Ozzie is wrong:

About wages. Asian players are coming out of a professional league. Probably the highest quality professional league outside of MLB. These players deserve to be paid more, and in many cases are controlled by a parent Japanese club. Plus, many of these players don't have to come to MLB. They make enough over there so that coming to MLB must carry serious advantages or its just not worth it.

About interpreters. Of course a team is going to pay for an interpreter for a player they are paying large sums of money. Add to the fact that the Japanese language is completely foreign. Spanish and English are both Latin languages, they share roots, they share the same nuances. You can get by with a pidgin level of learning of English in the US. Not so with the Asian languages. Also most major league teams have multiple Latin players who can assist each other.

About minors/ majors. Again these players are for the most part are professionals moving from a professional level team to a professional level team. Latin players for the most part are coming from something akin to a minor league level team and going to a minor league level team. There are also plenty of examples to disprove Ozzie. He Sop Choi spent quite some time in the minors. There are plenty of Latin players who go straight to AAA or the majors. (Contreras, Alexi Ramirez)

Ozzie is right:

That I think in many cases Latin players are not given the support they need to succeed in the US in general. Not in relation to Asian players at all, but in general. The league is littered with stories of Latin players who were left to fend for themselves when they got to the league.

But if Ozzie has a problem with MLB teams not doing enough, then maybe he shouldn't complain and should start a support network of some kind. A MLB/ minors wide Latin ballplayers support network with structure would be a huge help.

Maybe Ozzie instead of running his mouth with such a goofy stance, shuold take some of his millions and donate it to the schools in the Domincan to specifically hold classes for kids to learn how to speak English? Afterall, they are the ones who wish to come to America to play baseball, the work should be their responsibility not major league baseball. Just more "entitlement" crap.

I agree with Ozzie on this particular issue. There is less of a chance of a Japanese player knowing English or some team employee knowing Japanese. Hence the need of the interpreter. However, with the Spanish speaking player we just assume there is someone in the club house who can translate. That may not be the case. Plus, these kids need to function outside of the baseball diamond as well. If the kid doesn't know English that may be hard in a place like Chattanooga or some other minor league city. At the very least the kid needs to be hooked up with a tutor. It is in the team's best interest to bridge the cultural gap for all of its players if they want them to be as successful as they can be.

English is German based, not latin.

And English is the 3rd most spoken language behind mandarin chinese and spanish.

Just felt the need to correct some stuff.

While English is Germanic in spoken nature, English, like Spanish,uses the Latin alphabet.

This is probably what they meant.

Archived