Ryan Adams is now insanely hot

Frobby

Last 10 games: .452/.521/.762, 10 doubles and a homer! His overall line is now .300/.363/.468, and he's been tremendous from June on: .964 OPS in June, .855 in July, 1.432 so far this month. So, well over .900 for 2+ months.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 weeks or so left in the season, so it will be interesting to see how Adams finishes. It's been a pretty interesting year at Bowie with some of the more highly touted guys from the OH top 30 being a little disappointing and some of the lower-ranked guys really coming on.

*The modern Eastern League was the NYPL from 1923-1937. In 1938, it became the Eastern League. From 1938-1962 there were two seasons in which a player hit 49 doubles in a season. Those were the only occasions a player has hit more than 45. The Eastern League became a Double-A league in 1963. Since 1963, the most doubles in a season in the league has been 45.

Ryan Adams has 39 doubles with 24 games left to play in the regular season.

*Stats provided to Baseball-Reference by SABR, but most seasons are not yet amongst SABR's list of completely proofed seasons.

Fontenot has turned out to be a decent hitter. I think Adams could have a little more power.

I don't know, Fontenot was hitting for doubles like Ryan is, but could put up double digit HR when he was in AA already. Ryan might have to grow into the doubles still, not much of a difference between a double and a HR, just a little wrist action.

I'm a big Fontenot fan though, so it was meant as a compliment :)

His bat seems to be better than Henson's for the simple reason that he doesn't strike out nearly as much. He also is still an infielder, if by name only. Adams' has played some 3B and he's cut his errors way down at 2B. Still, I get the impression that he's not very good at 2B. Komminsk had some comments about him at midseason that weren't damning but weren't flattering either. I guess if he hits enough, they'll find someplace for him to play. He's hit a ton of doubles this year. Although Adams still has a ways to go, this is just another reason why you have to wait so long to rate individual drafts. Adams is in his fifth year, and might just be turning into something.

If you watch him in the on deck circle he practices a short powerful stroke over and over again by tapping his left toe to trigger the swing. He also does this a few times just before stepping in the batters box. This exericise reminds him to keep his swing short and quick through the strike zone. When his swing gets long he gets in trouble. His fielding is atrocious and that may come from concentration. I hope our player development folks work with him more on this. I view Ryan as a 2nd baseman. He has the range, the hands and can turn the DP. It is all about lapses in concentration. Not sure where his mind is on some plays. Ryan also has a temper which gets the best of him. Sometimes you can see that last error or last strike out on his face an inning after it happens. I am not an expert. Just a guy sitting in the first row next to the on deck circle almost every Bowie home game and some on the road. I watch these young guys closely. We have some good talent brewing in the minors. Finding a way to teach them the Oriole way is the task.

If you watch him in the on deck circle he practices a short powerful stroke over and over again by tapping his left toe to trigger the swing. He also does this a few times just before stepping in the batters box. This exericise reminds him to keep his swing short and quick through the strike zone. When his swing gets long he gets in trouble. His fielding is atrocious and that may come from concentration. I hope our player development folks work with him more on this. I view Ryan as a 2nd baseman. He has the range, the hands and can turn the DP. It is all about lapses in concentration. Not sure where his mind is on some plays. Ryan also has a temper which gets the best of him. Sometimes you can see that last error or last strike out on his face an inning after it happens. I am not an expert. Just a guy sitting in the first row next to the on deck circle almost every Bowie home game and some on the road. I watch these young guys closely. We have some good talent brewing in the minors. Finding a way to teach them the Oriole way is the task.

I think the fielding and the temper issues are going to be big problems for him, far more so than any issues with his batting. Last year he got sent home early for disciplinary reasons, and I read somewhere that during his time in major league camp this spring, he turned off some of the players or staff (I forget which).

He's been in the system for 5 years now without any significant change in his fielding performance, I think a turnaround is highly improbable at this point regardless of the reasons for his lack of performance.

He's been in the system for 5 years now without any significant change in his fielding performance, I think a turnaround is highly improbable at this point regardless of the reasons for his lack of performance.

Depends what you mean by "significant change."

2008: 46 errors in 96 games

2009: 17 errors in 53 games

2010: 19 errors in 81 games (2B only; 2 in 13 at 3B)

He's moved significantly in the right direction, but he still has quite a ways to go.

Archived