state your case if we pick #2 in the 2011 draft

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I certainly don't consider myself anything close to an expert on the draft. Could you tell me more about Gray and Barnes?

Gray has always been a personal favorite of mine with a FB that sits 93-96 touching 97 and has a wipeout slider. Knocks against him are his size, he is listed at 6' which many people think is actually on the high side. He is also a max effort guy and has questions about a 3rd pitch...

His ceiling though is also that of a true ace, but many think he is destined for the pen....

Barnes is a newcomer to the group who is pushing into top 3 territory...Big FB but his secondaries were lagging behind. Fb touches 96, also has a slider and curve which project nicely. His changeup is much improved as well. What is nice about him is he has a great combo of "now" stuff and projection. He still has a good amount of physical projeciton which could lead to more MPH as he fills in. Projects to have 3-4 above average to plus pitches and is developing rapidly....

My top arms would be:

Cole

Purke

Jungmann

Barnes

Gray

Cole is clearcut top for me, Purke and Jungmann are interchangeable for me, Barnes is ahead of Gray due to his projectability and possibility for 4 pitches. Gray has a chance to end up in the pen which would suck if you took a chance on him with the others on the board still who all have a very good chance to be TOR pitchers....

Gray has always been a personal favorite of mine with a FB that sits 93-96 touching 97 and has a wipeout slider. Knocks against him are his size, he is listed at 6' which many people think is actually on the high side. He is also a max effort guy and has questions about a 3rd pitch...

I've stood next to Gray, and there's no way he was 6 foot. Seemed about 5'10''.

I think the one thing that would help Rendon fall to us is the fact that if the team most likely no.1, who IMO are the Pirates, they have big needs elsewhere, mainly the pitching staff. They have a good number of young bats ,but if you see their rotation you'll understand the lack of wins. I'd guess they'd jump on the oppurtunity of a top flight pitching prospect before an impact bat.

One of our local boys, Daniel Norris, just won BA's award for the top high school pitcher in the nation, and he won the Jackie Robinson award for top high school player. He is a rising senior, a tall power-throwing lefty who has been dominant against solid high school opponents and summer ball.

I'm not saying he should be at the top of the O's draft board, but some of you all should be aware of him. Early this year, BA had him as the top high school pitcher for the 2011 draft.

I think the one thing that would help Rendon fall to us is the fact that if the team most likely no.1, who IMO are the Pirates, they have big needs elsewhere, mainly the pitching staff. They have a good number of young bats ,but if you see their rotation you'll understand the lack of wins. I'd guess they'd jump on the oppurtunity of a top flight pitching prospect before an impact bat.

The Pirates' have lots of needs. If they think Rendon is #1 they're going to take him #1.

• 5 weeks later...

Well as of now we don't have to worry about picking first or second and a possibilty we won't even be in the top 5 in the draft. Even though we will be missing out on some great prospects i am happy with how they are playing. Buck Showalter is the right manager for the job. Other then the Boston series they have played solid against teams in the hunt.

According to a Post-Gazette article about the "state of the Pirates roster", Rendon was mentioned as the guy for them to draft to play third.

Alvarez is apparently proving what some people were saying before he was drafted - that he won't last long at third.

With the O's winning like they are, someone should start a thread about who they draft with the sixth pick.

According to a Post-Gazette article about the "state of the Pirates roster", Rendon was mentioned as the guy for them to draft to play third.

Alvarez is apparently proving what some people were saying before he was drafted - that he won't last long at third.

With the O's winning like they are, someone should start a thread about who they draft with the sixth pick.

Nah, at this point in all honesty, who really knows who is gonna be slotted there by June. Atleast with picks 1 and 2, you can pretty much expect Rendon, Cole or possibly Purke. After those 3, it could go either way. There will be some HS arms, college arms and a couple good college bats rounding out the top 10(on my list).

The Pirates' have lots of needs. If they think Rendon is #1 they're going to take him #1.

I see PIT going with one of the college pitchers. They've got some decent bats in the org. mostly in the majors now, but some of their pitching is looking bad and I think Taillon could get to the bigs about the same time (or a little behind) a college pitcher taken this year.

Archived