Third base in 2011, if Bell can't cut it.

Scrat1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes sense to resign Ty Wigginton with the idea that if Josh Bell doesn't impress in Spring Training or show that he can hit the first couple months of the season, that Wigginton will be our everyday third baseman. If Bell proves he can be an everyday player, and I am very pessimistic about that, then Wigginton can return to his super utility role and get three to four starts a week.

I think this is realistically what will probably happen and is much better than signing someone like Joe Crede (washed up) or Adrian Beltre (overpriced and inconsistent).

It makes sense to resign Ty Wigginton with the idea that if Josh Bell doesn't impress in Spring Training or show that he can hit the first couple months of the season, that Wigginton will be our everyday third baseman. If Bell proves he can be an everyday player, and I am very pessimistic about that, then Wigginton can return to his super utility role and get three to four starts a week.
Having to choose between Wigginton and Bell as our starters for 3B next season could only be the culmination of a disastrous series of decisions.

I'm not giving up on Bell, but under no circumstance can he be in an open competition for a roster spot in ST next year. I also am not opposed to bringing Wigginton back as a utility guy, but under no circumstance can he be someone you are expecting to hold down a starting spot. He's strictly a bench player and you'll live with him if he has to start for a month to six weeks while someone is on the DL.

Actively planning on going with one of these two guys as your everyday 3B is a very bad plan.

On the issue of how long a contract to offer Beltre, we shouldn't forget the last 3B we had who was pretty damned good at age 31-32 but headed pretty significantly downhill from there.

Now, I think Beltre is a better player than Melvin Mora and he's pretty likely to be an above average player for 3-4 years and maybe even 5. But, his value is likely to decline, so we have to be careful. Like I said, he's probably a .780-.820 OPS guy most of the time, with 25 HR or so and very good defense.

I'd leap at 4/$50mm. I'd stay away at 5/$85 mm. Somewhere in between, there's a place where I waiver.

This definitely cannot be as narrow as Bell/Wigginton v Beltre for $15 per.

Heck, I'd rather go out and try to obtain a guy like Sean Rodriguez from Tampa for a Hernandez/JJ type bullpen arm. If Bell does indeed perform better and merit regular 3B duty, you can slide Rodriguez to super UTI all over the diamond.

Boston, LAA's, Twinkies, St.Louis, Chisox, LAD's could all have an interest in Beltre. 4/60 will not get it done IMO.
• Adrian Beltre, meanwhile, will turn down the $5 million 2011 option he holds. Red Sox people say they wouldn't be surprised if Beltre tries to duplicate the $64 million, five-year contract he received with Seattle after his big year in Los Angeles in 2004 (but they also say that while they know he's due a raise from the $10 million he made this year, they won't offer close to that $64 million deal).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/09/14/wednesday.scoop/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0zdHcMDcE

So the Red Sox are out if it goes to 5/64. It sounds like 5/75 lands him for the Orioles given the likely competition.

That's a deal worth making...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/09/14/wednesday.scoop/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0zdHcMDcE

So the Red Sox are out if it goes to 5/64. It sounds like 5/75 lands him for the Orioles given the likely competition.

That's a deal worth making...

I would not offer him 5 years. 4 years at 15 mill would be a max and I doubt if it goes that high.

Well maybe for the O's the price will be that high but I would bet 4 years 13 mil a year will be the going rate.

You are funny. If the Red Sox "won't offer close" to 5/$64 mm, why would be be offering 5/$75 mm? I recognize we will need to outbid the Sox and probably other teams by a significant amount, but $11 mm+ is more than "significant."

You are funny. If the Red Sox "won't offer close" to 5/$64 mm, why would be be offering 5/$75 mm? I recognize we will need to outbid the Sox and probably other teams by a significant amount, but $11 mm+ is more than "significant."

Buck wouldn't have signed with the O's if he wasn't granted the power to stop by MacPhail's office at any time and demand (and get) any free agent offer doubled.

Archived