Third base in 2011, if Bell can't cut it.

Scrat1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting dilema that Buck is in right now. Our best lineup is the one he started last night. It has to be tough as a manager to fill out a lineup card not going with your best lineup, but knowing you've got to get a youngster in and get him some at-bats.

Here's an interesting name....wait for it....Miguel Tejada.

I would lean toward not re-signing him, however I would have great interest in watching Buck let into him the first time Miggy jogs down to first base. That right there is quality entertainment!

Beltre scares me. His offensive performance has varied greatly from one year to the next. I'd love to have him, but 5/$85 mm is extremely risky for a 32-year old whose performance has fluctuated so much. It might take that much to get him to have a look at Baltimore, when I'm sure the Red Sox will be trying to re-sign him.

Beltre is extremely streaky, as far as season to season. Always appears to have a good year in a contract year.

You're sort of misremembering.

Beltre wanted to take a big, 1-year contract with a contender in hopes of having a huge season and being able to command a much larger contract in a year, rather than take a multi-year deal for what his going rate was last offseason. It wasn't that he didn't want Baltimore no matter what, it's that he didn't want a multi-year deal in the $8-10M range no matter what. We didn't want him for just a 1-year commitment, and even if we did, he wanted that deal with a contender to have a much better chance of putting up a strong statistical season.

I remember differently than you. I remember it being he wants to sign with a contender because he wants to win. The commanding contract in a year might have been a bonus.

If the contract was the case, I'd say he picked the right place in Boston. Good hitters up and down and a pretty friendly ball park have helped him this year. I don't think you'd see the same numbers had he played for say, Minnesota.

I'm against Beltre. That being said, I'm not sure who I would stick there. Is Wiggy out of the question?

I know this would be tough, but I think we should try to get ARam and trade for someone like Mike Moustakas, especially if we think Bell's not gonna cut it.

Moustakas has kind of scuffled this year in Triple-A, so maybe we could send them Tillman, Zagone, Berry, and Berken for Moustakas and Ka'aihue.

I know this would be tough, but I think we should try to get ARam and trade for someone like Mike Moustakas, especially if we think Bell's not gonna cut it.

Moustakas has kind of scuffled this year in Triple-A, so maybe we could send them Tillman, Zagone, Berry, and Berken for Moustakas and Ka'aihue.

Moustakas has got to be about as untouchable as it gets. He's an absolute stud prospect. I'd pay a ton to get him (Tillman, Bell, Berry, +?).

Beware Adrian Beltre. He is only good in a contract year. This is a contract year. When he gets a multi year deal..he returns to mediocrity. Or worse. Ive seen it time and time again.Beware.
Beltre's career ave numbers are only mediocre in comparison to his contract seasons. I wouldn't call a GG 3B, who puts up on ave. 25 HR, 90 RBI, and a.790 OPS, mediocre. That's more like Brooks Robinson, IMO.

Beware Adrian Beltre. He is only good in a contract year. This is a contract year. When he gets a multi year deal..he returns to mediocrity. Or worse. Ive seen it time and time again.Beware.

Agree with this one, wholeheartedly.

I'd be fine with Wigginton coming back. He could platoon with Bell at 3B, play 1B or DH when needed. He's basically what everyone's been saying, a reliable super utility guy that can be plugged in for extended periods of time at one position. You're not going to get great defensive help, but he's not abysmal (i.e. Wigginton replaces BRob at 2B earlier this year).

Here's an interesting name....wait for it....Miguel Tejada.

I would lean toward not re-signing him, however I would have great interest in watching Buck let into him the first time Miggy jogs down to first base. That right there is quality entertainment!

Don't want him and his bad OBP,SLG and plate discipline. Let's keep his .220 AVG, 256OBP and .317 SLG in SD. The Tejada trade is looking better each day. Scott may hit 25 to 30 homers for a couple of years. Albers might be a servicable bullpen arm and if Patton can somehow become a long man.

Well he's only had one multi-year contract - with Seattle, where hitters' careers go to die.

Beltre is hitting better but you aren't just paying for that bat, rather that glove of his at the hot corner.

He's been worth 3.0+ WAR for 4 out of 5 years even with his hitting decline.

Right now he's a 5.2 WAR player on pace for a 6.0+ WAR season.

Now even if he's only worth 4.0 WAR per season, he'll be worth his contract.

Moustakas has got to be about as untouchable as it gets. He's an absolute stud prospect. I'd pay a ton to get him (Tillman, Bell, Berry, +?).

Prospects are not what we need. We need difference making MLB players that can help this team win.

Archived