Third base in 2011, if Bell can't cut it.

Scrat1

I was at the game tonight, and Bell allowed a ball to go down the line that wasn't hit very hard at all, and he barely got his feet moving before it was past him. 80% chance that Mora or Tejada make that play, IMO. I feel he has a very slow first step.

I thought that when I saw it but the replay showed otherwise. He was playing like 8 yards off the line. Maybe Brooks could have gotten that ball, but no O's 3rd baseman of recent vintage.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Buck could get maximum effort out of Ramirez plus he would be motivated by that final decent contract.

That being said, I would much rather have Adrian Beltre. Not that I think he will get out of Boston but I would be willing to pay him quite a bit of money to be our 3B for the next 4 years. I would probably go 4-50M. I would also throw some high dollars at Konerko for 2 years while trading for a blocked SS. This would be a lineup that could compete:

2B-Roberts

RF-Markakis

3B-Beltre

1B-Konerko

DH-Scott

CF-Jones

C-Wieters

LF-Pie

SS-Brignac

Trading for Brignac is a pipedream but then again, so is getting Beltre and Konerko :)

TB is not going to trade Brignac, unless they are overwhelmed. He is their SS of the future. They will look to trade Bartlett, but not Brignac IMO.

I like Beltre at 3B, if Bell can't cut it.

Just curious: what would it cost in $$ and players/prospects to bring in Fielder, Beltre and Crawford. Considering the deletions, what would our payroll look like??:)

Just shooting in the dark:

Beltre and Crawford would both cost around $15 mill per year plus draft picks. Beltre would probably ask for three years, Crawford probably for at least 4 and probably 5+. Also, it was reported before last year Beltre did not want to play here.

Fielder would take a haul of young players (Probably one of Arrieta/Matusz, another pitcher, a couple prospects and a top position player -probably Jones or Pie) then he would be a FA after one year, because Boras is his agent. Any extension would probably have to be in the 8-year, $180-$200 million range.

Just shooting in the dark:

Beltre and Crawford would both cost around $15 mill per year plus draft picks. Beltre would probably ask for three years, Crawford probably for at least 4 and probably 5+. Also, it was reported before last year Beltre did not want to play here.

Fielder would take a haul of young players (Probably one of Arrieta/Matusz, another pitcher, a couple prospects and a top position player -probably Jones or Pie) then he would be a FA after one year, because Boras is his agent. Any extension would probably have to be in the 8-year, $180-$200 million range.

Crawford would probably cost more, closer to the 18-20M range(remember, he is declining the MFY's for the O's) and Beltre would also require at least 4/15M. Fielder wouldn't cost as much in prospects IMO, say one of Matusz/Arrieta and one of Britton/ Berrgeson/Tillman, and maybe a lesser MiL prospect,say a Reimold, Angle etc., but he'll get 18M in arbitration and be gone in a year.

Crawford would probably cost more, closer to the 18-20M range(remember, he is declining the MFY's for the O's) and Beltre would also require at least 4/15M. Fielder wouldn't cost as much in prospects IMO, say one of Matusz/Arrieta and one of Britton/ Berrgeson/Tillman, and maybe a lesser MiL prospect,say a Reimold, Angle etc., but he'll get 18M in arbitration and be gone in a year.

I don't think the Brewers would take a 3-for-1 on Fielder unless it's two impact players and a top prospect. Maybe Matusz/Arrieta, Britton and Pie/Jones would get the deal done. But my guess is they would want a little more, maybe Reimold and Patton or some other configuration of minor leaguers who could be in the majors next year. Either way, the deal isn't worth it.

Beltre may get a four year deal. Good point on Crawford, he'll probably get the $18 offer from the Yanks, especially if they lose the east to the Rays.

I don't think the Brewers would take a 3-for-1 on Fielder unless it's two impact players and a top prospect. Maybe Matusz/Arrieta, Britton and Pie/Jones would get the deal done. But my guess is they would want a little more, maybe Reimold and Patton or some other configuration of minor leaguers who could be in the majors next year. Either way, the deal isn't worth it.

Beltre may get a four year deal. Good point on Crawford, he'll probably get the $18 offer from the Yanks, especially if they lose the east to the Rays.

The Brewers are not going to be getting that many offers for Fielder. He will cost too much in arbitration for most teams, and he will most certainly be a FA after the year. They will have to take what they can get or make do with the draft picks. The Giants and the White Sox would be the chief suiters IMO.

It is more about the quality of the prospects, even in 4 or 5 player packages you see one or two gems, a guy that could be something, and two guys who look more like filler then gems.

If the Orioles put Matusz, Britton, and Jones into a package a lot of teams would have a hard time doing much better IMO. You have three players who could help your club right away. I do not want the Orioles to trade for Fielder, go out and sign a guy who can play first and hit for power. Dunn would work well IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I will tell you, I have some reservations about Bell, numbers aside. At 3B, to me he isn't quick to react. His body is very heavy-legged and I really doubt he's going to have a lot of range.

I was at the game tonight, and Bell allowed a ball to go down the line that wasn't hit very hard at all, and he barely got his feet moving before it was past him. 80% chance that Mora or Tejada make that play, IMO. I feel he has a very slow first step.

Since I have been critical of Bell's reaction time on hard-hit balls hit to either side of him, I have to say that I feel the opposite regarding his reaction time and technique on choppers and slow rollers hit in front of him. He made two nice plays yesterday on balls like these, and I've seen him make several others. He's clearly better than Mora on handling those balls, IMO. And while Bell doesn't have Tejada's gun (who does?), he has a nice quick release on those snap throws across his body.

For the record, I am very much behind Bell and think he should be given the lion's share of playing time at third from here until the end of the season. We need to know what we have in him.

If, however, he shows no real improvement over the next month and a half, what would your plan be for third base?

MacPhail has said that he would be willing to take on contracts, and Aramis Ramirez, with his down year, is planning on exercising his $15 millon dollar option. The Cubs are always tight on money, and MacPhail has a good working relationship with Hendry. We'd probably have to give something of value up along with taking on salary (Angle?), but I think he's definitely worth inquiring about.

1. Brian Roberts

2. Nick Markakis

3. Aramis Ramirez

4. Luke Scott

5. Adam Jones

6. Felix Pie

7. Matt Wieters

8. Nolan Reimold

9. Cesar Izturis

That could be just a little bit nasty. Also, depending on just how serious Bell's hypothetical struggles are, I'd place a few calls to Seattle about Figgins.

Honestly, if youre giving Bell a fair shot to stick at 3B or 1B the audition needs to last longer than this season. If they're not happy with his D then move him to 1B. But he needs to play at the majors.

Honestly, if youre giving Bell a fair shot to stick at 3B or 1B the audition needs to last longer than this season. If they're not happy with his D then move him to 1B. But he needs to play at the majors.

Not if he isn't the best solution for winning games next season.

Next season is about winning games. If Bell isn't going to help you do that on a regular basis, he shouldn't be given the position.

If Bell doesn't go on a significant tear in September, he should not be counted on for 2011 and should be traded or sent back to Norfolk until he proves he's ready.

Bell didn't force his way onto this team and he hasn't really consistently impressed. I don't see why anybody would want to give him playing time by default given his performance if they were serious about wanting to win as many games as they could next season...

If he tears it up in September, then you give him a shot, but only then. Otherwise he should be a fallback option.

You have a premium option in Beltre on the FA market both offensively and defensively and somebody who will likely give you 4.0 WAR from the position per year at least for the next 3-4 years.

If there's any question about Bell, you can't afford to miss that opportunity to lock up a premium player at a position that is suddenly scarce for quality in baseball.

Not if he isn't the best solution for winning games next season.

Next season is about winning games. If Bell isn't going to help you do that on a regular basis, he shouldn't be given the position.

If Bell doesn't go on a significant tear in September, he should not be counted on for 2011 and should be traded or sent back to Norfolk until he proves he's ready.

Bell didn't force his way onto this team and he hasn't really consistently impressed. I don't see why anybody would want to give him playing time by default given his performance if they were serious about wanting to win as many games as they could next season...

If he tears it up in September, then you give him a shot, but only then. Otherwise he should be a fallback option.

You have a premium option in Beltre on the FA market both offensively and defensively and somebody who will likely give you 4.0 WAR from the position per year at least for the next 3-4 years.

If there's any question about Bell, you can't afford to miss that opportunity to lock up a premium player at a position that is suddenly scarce for quality in baseball.

Was Nick Markakis the O's best option for winning games in 2006?

Was Nick Markakis the O's best option for winning games in 2006?

Nick Markakis only stuck because of Jay Gibbons' injury IIRC. Gibbons was expected to be the full time RFer in 2006 but got hurt at the end of May.

Markakis was a fallback option and only got regular playing time when Gibbons was out.

Yes, get rid of that Wieters guy. He's way to inconsistent. I think he should be sent down or traded too. And that Matusz guy...man we should have gotten rid of him last month. Did you see how bad he was?

You're totally right Trea if a guy can't succeed in his first 106 at bats cast him to the curb! I think this attitude is a bit short sited and if followed by the rest of the league a good way to get guys like Ben Zobrist who isn't having a tremendous second half. Tampa's all about winning, why don't they just trade him away? His 251/357/352/709 isn't earth shattering but it doesn't mean you either demote or trade him.

Archived