Third base in 2011, if Bell can't cut it.

Scrat1

And this is what I would advocate. Sign Beltre and use Bell in a package to upgrade 1B.

If you can get a legit 1B that isn't going to be detrimental long term to the financial freedom of the team, that works for me. But why not just give Bell/Reimold a chance at 1B?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can get a legit 1B that isn't going to be detrimental long term to the financial freedom of the team, that works for me. But why not just give Bell/Reimold a chance at 1B?

Because we want to win games and need proven players to do so.

We've got enough question marks going into 2011 for the offense with Markakis, Wieters and Jones.

Adding Reimold or Bell to the mix has the potential of having another offensive disaster like 2010.

We've got enough question marks going into 2011 for the offense with Markakis, Wieters and Jones.

Adding Reimold or Bell to the mix has the potential of having another offensive disaster like 2010.

I think this line of thinking is off by a fair amount.

2B Roberts

3B Beltre (assuming your hypo signing)

RF Markakis

C Wieters

CF Jones

DH Scott

LF Pie

1B Reimold/Bell

SS ??

You are honestly telling me that the fate of the offense is the ML experience of the #8 hitter? I think you are shoehorning here.

I think this line of thinking is off by a fair amount.

2B Roberts

3B Beltre (assuming your hypo signing)

RF Markakis

C Wieters

CF Jones

DH Scott

LF Pie

1B Reimold/Bell

SS ??

You are honestly telling me that the fate of the offense is the ML experience of the #8 hitter? I think you are shoehorning here.

Well which lineup looks better? That one or this one:

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

3B Beltre

1B Fielder/Gonzalez

CF Jones

DH Scott

C Wieters

LF Pie/Reimold

SS ??

If you have to have Bell at 3B then you have to upgrade elsewhere say like LF with Jayson Werth

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

LF Werth

1B Fielder/Gonzalez

CF Jones

DH Scott

C Wieters

3B Bell

SS ??

We need to upgrade at least two offensive producing positions this offseason no matter how you look at it and the options are 1B, LF, 3B and SS. Wieters, Jones and Markakis are too much of a question mark not to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still thinking hard about this topic.

I often disagree with JTrea81 and his free-spending ideas. I'm not sure I disagree with this one. As I look around, Beltre is the highest-impact free agent on the market, from the Orioles' point of view. His defense is excellent, without a doubt. His offense is anywhere from spectacular to above average. He's not that old. And, I don't really agree with the idea that he only plays hard in a contract year. The truth is, he had 3 good years out of 5 in Seattle, and one of his bad years was his contract year. His other bad year was his first, and that may just have been the effect of switching leagues, ballparks, etc. If I sign Beltre I'm expecting .780-.820 offense with some pop, and GG caliber defense, with the possibility of better offense than that.

Then the question is, can we convince him to come to Baltimore, and at what price? Frankly, I'm not optimistic on this front. I do think that if it's possible at all, it takes a 5 year deal, and $75 mm plus. I might swallow hard and go that high, but I'd need to think about it some more.

The other options as I see it:

1. Trade for Aramis Ramirez and work out a long-term deal. I doubt the Cubs would want much for him. He has a no-trade so any pursuit probably requires an extension.

2. Sign Brandon Inge.

3. Re-sign Wigginton and let him and Bell duke it out for playing time.

I suppose a trade for a young 3B is also possible, but it's hard to discuss without some idea of what we'd have to give up.

Here's the problem with re-signing Wiggy... he's already established himself as a #3 hitter here.

Thanks to lackluster offense and absolutely NO ONE hitting for power during the first few months of the season, Ty Wigginton was forced to fulfill a role he's only done once in his career: carry a team by hitting in the #3-#4 slots. The only other time he did this was back in Tampa in 06-07 but he didn't hit there the whole season.

Wiggy isn't a #3 hitter. Yet, even as his hot streak has subsided (months ago) Orioles' Managers are still putting him #3 on a consistent basis. I'm worried that if we re-sign him there will be some sort of awkward obligation that we have to bat him in a strong part of the lineup.

Ty Wigginton is a solid #6-#7 hitter. Any contending team would love to have him there and - if all goes well with acquisitions and such - Wiggy could be hitting as deep as #8. I like that. But is that possible after this season?

I like the idea of signing Inge. He'd be a good stopgap while Bell got some more seasoning at Norfolk.

I prefer Inge as well, but he's likely to cost a lot (he's making $6.5 million per year now) for 3+ years. His home/away splits aren't too promising, but he does hit better against lefties which would be valuable in our lineup.

And I wouldn't touch Aramis Ramirez unless the Cubs were giving him away.

Well, that's demonstrably false.

I'm still thinking hard about this topic.

I often disagree with JTrea81 and his free-spending ideas. I'm not sure I disagree with this one. As I look around, Beltre is the highest-impact free agent on the market, from the Orioles' point of view. His defense is excellent, without a doubt. His offense is anywhere from spectacular to above average. He's not that old. And, I don't really agree with the idea that he only plays hard in a contract year. The truth is, he had 3 good years out of 5 in Seattle, and one of his bad years was his contract year. His other bad year was his first, and that may just have been the effect of switching leagues, ballparks, etc. If I sign Beltre I'm expecting .780-.820 offense with some pop, and GG caliber defense, with the possibility of better offense than that.

Then the question is, can we convince him to come to Baltimore, and at what price? Frankly, I'm not optimistic on this front. I do think that if it's possible at all, it takes a 5 year deal, and $75 mm plus. I might swallow hard and go that high, but I'd need to think about it some more.

The other options as I see it:

1. Trade for Aramis Ramirez and work out a long-term deal. I doubt the Cubs would want much for him. He has a no-trade so any pursuit probably requires an extension.

2. Sign Brandon Inge.

3. Re-sign Wigginton and let him and Bell duke it out for playing time.

I suppose a trade for a young 3B is also possible, but it's hard to discuss without some idea of what we'd have to give up.

I think a big reason that people focus in on free agents as the most likely or best solution to a hole is your last sentence. There are a finite number of free agents, making the discussion easy. You shell out money, you get a player.

There are a nearly infinite number of trade possibilities, so any one of them is highly unlikely. But I think it's probable that trades are going to fill more holes on the 2011 Orioles than high-dollar free agents.

I know I'd prefer a Bell/Wigginton solution to signing Beltre for five years, ages 32-36, coming off his 2nd-best major league season.

Here's the problem with re-signing Wiggy... he's already established himself as a #3 hitter here.

Thanks to lackluster offense and absolutely NO ONE hitting for power during the first few months of the season, Ty Wigginton was forced to fulfill a role he's only done once in his career: carry a team by hitting in the #3-#4 slots. The only other time he did this was back in Tampa in 06-07 but he didn't hit there the whole season.

Wiggy isn't a #3 hitter. Yet, even as his hot streak has subsided (months ago) Orioles' Managers are still putting him #3 on a consistent basis. I'm worried that if we re-sign him there will be some sort of awkward obligation that we have to bat him in a strong part of the lineup.

Ty Wigginton is a solid #6-#7 hitter. Any contending team would love to have him there and - if all goes well with acquisitions and such - Wiggy could be hitting as deep as #8. I like that. But is that possible after this season?

There will be no obligation to bat him in the middle of the lineup. I don't think Buck would hesitate for one second to bat Wigginton 9th if he thought that was best for the team.

I think a big reason that people focus in on free agents as the most likely or best solution to a hole is your last sentence. There are a finite number of free agents, making the discussion easy. You shell out money, you get a player.

There are a nearly infinite number of trade possibilities, so any one of them is highly unlikely. But I think it's probable that trades are going to fill more holes on the 2011 Orioles than high-dollar free agents.

I know I'd prefer a Bell/Wigginton solution to signing Beltre for five years, ages 32-36, coming off his 2nd-best major league season.

I think this is the winter where Andy really has to acquire some players who can help right away. I agree that he needs to explore trade avenues very aggressively, and not limit himself to free agents.

As to the Beltre option, like I said, I'm still mulling it over. Most likely, the market will dictate a price that won't make sense for us. Boston will have a gaping hole there if he leaves, and it wouldn't surprise me if re-signing Beltre is their top priority this winter, in which case you know that the price will go through the roof.

However, make no mistake, Beltre is a very good 3B and probably will be for several more years.

However, make no mistake, Beltre is a very good 3B and probably will be for several more years.

I understand that. But I also understand he's a soon-to-be 32-year-old guy with a .770-something career OPS going into free agency with a nearly 1.000 OPS season. So he's a good third baseman with some risk attached who's looking for a contract based on a MVP-ish season.

Adrian Beltre should be our #1 target as he contributes offensively and defensively.

Beltre is our best option and should be our #1 target in the offseason.

I think we've discovered JTrea's new offseason mantra. AM's being set up for the kill as we speak. Hang on for the ride fellas!

Archived