Third base in 2011, if Bell can't cut it.

Scrat1

What is that even supposed to mean. Are you his agent? Good grief, the guy has had a handful of season over 4 WAR and you think that at age 32 he's going to consistently be above 4 WAR, and go up to 6. I wonder why people take your opinions with a grain of salt.

Everybody's favorite player is a hard-working guy who'll age far better than the average player.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 4 year window with Nick Markakis under contract and 3 years with Brian Roberts. I intend to go for it in that time period. If it takes a 5 year deal to go for it within those 3-4 years, that's the deal I'm giving Beltre.

If I win the WS within, it will have been worth the risk of that extra year or two.

I agree about the window of success and going for it...But I am going to do it with better players..Make trades, be smarter about the future AND the present.

I agree about the window of success and going for it...But I am going to do it with better players..Make trades, be smarter about the future AND the present.

There aren't better players out there. You can talk about pipe dreams like landing Wright all you want but Beltre is at least available. In a land of limited supply, the demand will be high. If the Orioles aren't willing to spend for a sparse position there won't be anything left.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge Beltre fan but I think he makes the most sense for the Orioles at this point. 5/85 is costly but I think worth it in the end.

There aren't better players out there. You can talk about pipe dreams like landing Wright all you want but Beltre is at least available. In a land of limited supply, the demand will be high. If the Orioles aren't willing to spend for a sparse position there won't be anything left.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge Beltre fan but I think he makes the most sense for the Orioles at this point. 5/85 is costly but I think worth it in the end.

The better players don't all have to be landed in one offseason.

There aren't better players out there. You can talk about pipe dreams like landing Wright all you want but Figgins is at least available. In a land of limited supply, the demand will be high. If the Orioles aren't willing to spend for a sparse position there won't be anything left.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge Figgins fan but I think he makes the most sense for the Orioles at this point. 4/$40M is costly but I think worth it in the end.

The better players don't all have to be landed in one offseason.

No but look at next offseason's crop at 3B. It isn't pretty...

And 3B is weak throughout baseball. Beltre is your best 3B man that will be on the FA market until after 2013 when Wright will be available.

So if Bell isn't your guy, Beltre is your best option until you can develop an internal one.

No but look at next offseason's crop at 3B. It isn't pretty...

And 3B is weak throughout baseball. Beltre is your best 3B man that will be on the FA market until after 2013 when Wright will be available.

So if Bell isn't your guy, Beltre is your best option until you can develop an internal one.

So?

You are acting like we have to have an elite third baseman to contend.

And who is to say Bell still can't be that guy?

Who are you trading?

All Beltre costs is money and a 2nd round pick.

Guthrie and Scott aren't going to net you a premium ML ready 3B man.

We tried to see if Bell was the guy as he looked promising and he's not the guy, so you need to get another external option, and since you want to win now, you've got to get somebody proven.

Who are you trading?

All Beltre costs is money and a 2nd round pick.

Guthrie and Scott aren't going to net you a premium ML ready 3B man.

We tried to see if Bell was the guy as he looked promising and he's not the guy, so you need to get another external option, and since you want to win now, you've got to get somebody proven.

1) We don't need a premium third baseman to contend.

2) We don't know that bell isn't the guy.

3) We aren't winning anything next year.

This is an interesting debate.

I'm not convinced that the market is going to loosen up this offseason as much as some are predicting. Beltre was a FA last year and got a one year deal. Yeah, he's had a big year, but 5/85? I bet he doesn't get close.

A better question for me is whether I want another low OBP guy in this lineup. I like his defensive upside and power, but he's not the prototype, despite the over reliance on the very flawed (IMO) WAR on this board.

For 4 years and $40-60 million, I *might* be down.

One last thought: If the O's finish 2010 the way they've played since 8/3, I don't think we'll be seen the same way this offseason as we have been in the past. Some players will be willing to sign on.

So?

You are acting like we have to have an elite third baseman to contend.

And who is to say Bell still can't be that guy?

As I've said, the Orioles need to upgrade two of LF, SS, 3B and 1B with premium talent.

The other spots are already filled. And the players you put in those two spots have to be proven premium talent because the spots that are already filled either have declining, underachieving or unproven talent.

If you go with Bell at 3B, you'll have to upgrade elsewhere. And you could go with Fielder and Werth, but Beltre is likely to be a better signing than Werth. And Bell is not a lock for anything.

Archived