What If Tejada Is Traded?

JohnD

It's obvious he's being talked about. So what if he's dealt for a bunch of prospects who are anywhere from ML read to a year or two away? What does it signify to you as an Orioles fan? And would it make you more excited for the future, or would it bring more frustration as a fan?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be very excited. The O's best chance of competing in the near future is to trade Tejada for 3 young players, and than use the $12 or so million per year you save to obtain a comparable bat. With as many holes as the O's have, they can do this and essentially turn Tejada into 4 players. I'd be excited.

It's obvious he's being talked about. So what if he's dealt for a bunch of prospects who are anywhere from ML read to a year or two away? What does it signify to you as an Orioles fan? And would it make you more excited for the future, or would it bring more frustration as a fan?

I think it would depend on what he's traded for, in both quality and quantity of players.

If he's traded for several major prospects who can step in now or next year as major pieces, then I will be content with the deal. If he's traded for Luis Rivera and Jose Leon...well, I think we know the answer to that :)

I think I'd be really excited if the O's made a smart decision and got back quality players in return, that can help for a long time.

I think this team has alot of holes...and trading away your marquee name to fill those holes might give us the best opportunity to move up in the standings.

Alot of people (including Migs & Mora) are like "they just need some help"...well while this is true and valid, the FO hasn't done anything worthwhile to make that happen (they've tried but not been successful), so we as fans have to base our judgements that they won't happen in the future (very sad, but the truth).

I also feel that Tejada is not the same player we signed in winter of 03'. I feel his strengths that made him so valuable are not as overly present as before. That could stem from a multitude of reasons, which really is neither here nor there at this time. I feel that if you can get really good value for him now, and not get fleeced, you need to do it, or really make an over exhorbant effort this trading deadline/offseason to bring in quality pieces around him.

I think it would depend on what he's traded for, in both quality and quantity of players.

If he's traded for several major prospects who can step in now or next year as major pieces, then I will be content with the deal. If he's traded for Luis Rivera and Jose Leon...well, I think we know the answer to that :)

Yeah, depends on the trade. If we just get prospects, I will be very happy with that assuming they're top notch prospects.

I'm on the fence about trading Tejada still. I see it pretty much in 2 ways..:

1. They trade him and get multiple prospects to help the future.(i like)

2. If they do trade him, I think it is goin to hurt the organization in tryin to bring in good-wanna-win-be a contender type FA's. I mean they sold Tejada on Baltimore and look what happened to him..He signed, nothing changed, they didnt do much to improve the team and now he's traded in the middle of his contract.Who's goin to want to come here after this? I dont think many will and they already dont at that..Trading him helps the team (maybe, depending on if the prospects develop) yet also hurts it in the way i just stated..I think..anyone else?

Interesting question. I'll tell you one thing, the haters will have a field day until some of the guys we get back do something. I'm sure we would have to get at least 1 ML ready guy to keep a torch bearing mob (led by Sapper) from marching down Eutaw Street to the warehouse. Whoever that is will be under a lot of pressure. In reality, I don't think that trading one player, even Miggy, will make any difference in attendence, or cause anybody to change their mind about how the organization is run, be it positive or negative. The haters wil predict we traded him for a bunch of Jason Grimsleys and Glenn Davis', and we deluded loyalists will say, "Wait and see how these guys develop". If this were to be done, it would underscore the neccesity for us to have a huge Winter in free agency, lest tumbleweeds be the only things in the stands come April. After 9 straight losing seasons, I can't imagine that management doesn't think they will lose most of their few remaining fans if they can't show a clear direction for where this team is going by next OD.

But right back to you,John, how much confidence do you have in the FO to make a trade involving Miggy that works out well for us? I would have a hard time arguing with the skeptics.

If we're talking prospects, which is all we're getting for Tejada -- no team is going to part with a equal level MLB player for Tejada in the middle of a contending season -- then they better be the best prospects available.

I think trading Tejada signifies that this team is willing to get better no matter what the cost. And that is a good thing.

I think trading Mig is a must. Looking at Bowie's batting averages is pathetic. Ottawa is a bit better, but the best averages are coming from Calzado, and Terrereo and Rogers and Reed. Not sure these guys are going to be a big impact (maybe Terrero will surprise as Fahey has done). Reimold holds potential but god knows how he'll move up the chain. On the contrary we do have some good young arms.

I'd like to see the AAA and AA built up with some hitters, and if we can fill some holes like LF and 1B, and our young pitching develops we have a chance of plugging multiple holes.

If Tejada gets us Wood and Kendrick and Saunders, you have to do that. if we can get Shealy and Baker you've got to take that chance with guys like Hawkins and Rlo. We've become worse with Mig. Certainly, not his fault as he's great, but the standings show we're worse in the win/loss columns, and is one superstar worth filling three other holes, and helping shore up the future a bit. If we cannot get Wood, then Aybar, but then it's got to be more from the Angels.

I've been debating whether I prefer the Angels or Stros, and if we could get Shealy I think I'd prefer the Stros "if" we can get Hirsch, Pence, Patton and throw in somebody expendable and maybe we can get Ensberg as well. As to Everett, take him if we have to.

Watching Markakis develop, Brob and CPat playing decently shows that younger players can move in and fill the gap.

If it's for a few top of the line prospects, then I'll be very happy & excited about what the team will look like next year.

If it's for a handful of current major leaguers (ie Figgins, Shields, Everett, etc) with little upside, then I'm going to be pissed.

I'd much rather see the Orioles go with the strategy the Marlins have adopted. A team full of young players with tons of upside. They may not be a winning team, but at least they are heading in the right direction.

The only problem I have with trading Tejada, is the fact that they gave Mora a No Trade Clause. If Tejada is traded, then Mora has little value to us anymore. His extention seems to be a problem, if the FO decides to go with the youth movement.

I'm on the fence about trading Tejada still. I see it pretty much in 2 ways..:

1. They trade him and get multiple prospects to help the future.(i like)

2. If they do trade him, I think it is goin to hurt the organization in tryin to bring in good-wanna-win-be a contender type FA's. I mean they sold Tejada on Baltimore and look what happened to him..He signed, nothing changed, they didnt do much to improve the team and now he's traded in the middle of his contract.Who's goin to want to come here after this? I dont think many will and they already dont at that..Trading him helps the team (maybe, depending on if the prospects develop) yet also hurts it in the way i just stated..I think..anyone else?

Great point! +reps to you... This is a true dilemma. The fans have to re-gain confidence in the O's front office and ownership. That is the bottom-line. I think a trade will be viewed with a cross between apathy and objectivity because most of us don't believe the Orioles know what they are doing... and Tejada has lost his luster here in Baltimore due to all of the circumstances over the past season and off-season and the decline in his production/effort. It all depends on the trade.

I would not be surprised if someone in the organization asked that this thread be posted...;) to get feedback from the fans.

Archived