Bad news for Erbe - torn labrum - per Melewski

phattybeers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if there's any raw correlation between innings pitched and labrums torn, or if it's all a delivery issue, and not statistically related.

If the latter is true, then perhaps the whole innings limit should be looked at as bollocks?

The theory there is when the muscles get tired is when the ligaments and tendons are at greatest risk. But it's an injury, there's no correlation to miles walked to ankles sprained, sometimes things happen, and with more use and repetition comes more chance for injury, no matter what it is.

The theory there is when the muscles get tired is when the ligaments and tendons are at greatest risk. But it's an injury, there's no correlation to miles walked to ankles sprained, sometimes things happen, and with more use and repetition comes more chance for injury, no matter what it is.

Exactly, and not to mention that the whole act of throwing a baseball, let alone throwing one 95+ MPH is not a natural motion and more often than not results in some sort of injury. Sometimes the injury is a torn labrum, sometimes its a torn UCL, sometimes its just tendonitis.

Also, pretty much every pitcher in the ML or in the world for that matter has small tears in the labrum. I guess it depends on where the tear(s) is and how bad of a tear it is.

yeah, jim johnson is from johnson city. its less than an hour from my house.

I lived there in the mid sixties when attending BU - ironic that JJ is from there unless he is tied to the original Endicott Johnson Shoe Company.

Per Melewski:

The good news for O's pitching prospect Brandon Erbe is that he should be back on a mound sometime next year.

Exactly when that will be, no one knows for sure right now, but his surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder last Friday was a success.

"We feel like the surgery went well and less damage was found than they thought," O's director of player development, John Stockstill said.

There are estimates that Erbe could be pitching again in eight to ten months, which would put him back on a mound somewhere on the O's farm anywhere from early to the middle of next season.

Coming off the surgery, Erbe would not be expected to come right back and be pitching at top form, that could take a while and it could be the 2012 season until Erbe returns to pitch to his full potential.

But heading into the procedure, which was performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum, it could have turned out decidedly worse.

I think the Orioles face an interesting dilemma. Do you keep Erbe on the 40 man roster after this season?

Per Melewski:

I think the Orioles face an interesting dilemma. Do you keep Erbe on the 40 man roster after this season?

No why should you. Wouldnt another team have to put him on their 25 man roster to take in in the rule 5? You think a team would go one man down a whole season to take him. No chance in hell that is happening.

No why should you. Wouldnt another team have to put him on their 25 man roster to take in in the rule 5? You think a team would go one man down a whole season to take him. No chance in hell that is happening.

Another team could claim him off waivers and they would have him plus his two options years.

Per Melewski:

Personally I would take him off if I needed the room. Obviously it depends on who the other options are at the time, but I doubt another team is going to want to pay for his rehab and the fact that he'll miss a lot of next season for the chance that he overcomes a hard injury to recover from.

Personally I would take him off if I needed the room. Obviously it depends on who the other options are at the time, but I doubt another team is going to want to pay for his rehab and the fact that he'll miss a lot of next season for the chance that he overcomes a hard injury to recover from.

I was surprised the Orioles kept Spoone on the roster heading into this season, but I guess it was because they banked on him returning to form this season.

Though, I guess the option year thing may not be an issue with Spoone or Erbe, because the Orioles could petition for an extra option year for both since they lost or will lose a complete year to an injury.

But yeah, I would still take him off the roster. You could take him to the non-tender deadline if you really want to make sure you keep him.

Another team could claim him off waivers and they would have him plus his two options years.
I dont understand obviously.

There are a few things going on.

First, to take Erbe off the 40 man roster, he would have to be DFA'ed by the Orioles, thus being placed on waivers. Any team could claim him off waivers and protect him on their 40 man roster. Erbe will have two option years remaining and could even gain an extra one through petition with next year being pretty much a waste.

If Erbe cleared waivers, there is no way he would be selected in the Rule 5 draft, but, for the sake of an argument, he could be selected in the Rule 5 and DL'ed. Eventually, he would have to be active for a certain amount of games (I believe 90+), even if it meant splitting it between two seasons.

Archived