O's Sign Esquivel

It sounds to me like we're not signing one of our top 10 picks, so Jordan committed to Esquivel.

Yeah, JJ apparently said he was gonna sign Esquivel all along, but yeah you are right, I too think this was the back up plan. I just hope we go and sign Urban and RObinson and Wise too. When you have THIS many high ceiling arms in the low minors, you gotta like the chances of atleast 1 of them hitting their ceiling the way Britton has thus far.

So I assume given the murmurs that Bywater isn't a lost cause points to Esquivel as the backup for Dixon Anderson.

Probably. I'd assume that Anderson was gonna cost a fairly hefty chunk of change, moreso than Bywater. I am kinda happy we didn't sign Anderson. The bonus he would recieve would be heavily based on his potential and his pretty solid toolset. The problem is, up until this point the production does not in any which way match his potential. So, we would be taking a pretty big risk on a guy who will probably wind up in the pen any way.....Just not worth it to me....

That is kind of out of left field. Also, this isn't the NFL, no team hits on every first-round draft pick, even top-5 picks.

Yeah, really....JJ does a pretty good job. In the last couple of years especially, he has really opened up to signing multiple overslotters. I don't get where so much of this negativity comes from with JJ. The Hobgood pick at this point doesn't look great, but OTOH, there is a very good theory that Hobgood's regression in his "stuff" has a lot to do with his physical conditioning. Its not like he is posting mediocre numbers with his best stuff, its without the arsenal that got him drafted. As he gets into better shape, his stuff will hopefully return. Hobgood will be a very good prospect if this happens. If not, then it is what it is, JJ missed with the #5 overall pick, but luckily, in that very same draft, he took Wirsch, Henry, Martin, Coffey, Ryan and Tim Berry and Tolliver. A few of these guys are already developing into fine young prospects. We will see how it goes, but it is just too early to crucify JJ for some of this stuff because it is just too soon to know....JJ in actuality wasn't off base with the Hobgood pick, it'd be looking pretty damn good right now if the Hobgood we drafted actually showed up to Bluefield last year....How was JJ supposed to foresee this?

Archived