Congrats...I hope this eases the blows of Tyler Zeller,Eric Montross & Sean May.

As for the Heels, we have a very good class coming in next year as well, but would have LOVED to add Zeller.

Thanks a lot, Beaner.

It does get old seeing other schools raise banners or make Final Fours with Indiana HS talent. Going forward, kids committing to IU can expect to play on a team expected to make a good run in the NCAAs and hopefully be part of multiple top 10 teams.

Already, Ferrell's father has said his son's decision timeline has changed. Very exciting.

There could be some colossal IU-UNC battles out in 2013/14.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks a lot, Beaner.

It does get old seeing other schools raise banners or make Final Fours with Indiana HS talent. Going forward, kids committing to IU can expect to play on a team expected to make a good run in the NCAAs and hopefully be part of multiple top 10 teams.

Already, Ferrell's father has said his son's decision timeline has changed. Very exciting.

There could be some colossal IU-UNC battles out in 2013/14.

May and Montross were starters on Tar Heel Title teams, wow. Didn't realize that as I was typing it.

Even though Isaiah Thomas made me cry as a 10 year old, I've always respected that program, especially under Bob Knight. He may been a bit of a nutjob, but he always had good kids, and got rid of them if they weren't. It's important for Indiana to be relevant in the College Hoops landscape.

I remember going to that Final Four in Indy in 1991 when I thought the locals were going to literally kill Eric Montross. And became such huge Kansas fans, if only for that night. Great passion for their team, and I hope you're right and we some epic battles in the future.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/17855/iu-gets-symbolic-boost-with-cody-zeller

Some national media hinting at the potential of IU with the run of prospects coming our way. Sounds like Ferrell will commit soon. Then it's a matter of being greedy and trying for Harris and putting pressure on the 2013 kids to climb aboard or lose the scholly.

I was a UMd fan in 1981. I remember IU fell behind Maryland (I was a big Greg Manning fan) 6-0 in the NCAAs and thinking this Indiana powerhouse was not so bad after all. Knight called a time out, chewed out his guys and they steamrolled Maryland after that. I was crushed then, but it turns out, years later, my team won that game!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/17855/iu-gets-symbolic-boost-with-cody-zeller

Some national media hinting at the potential of IU with the run of prospects coming our way. Sounds like Ferrell will commit soon. Then it's a matter of being greedy and trying for Harris and putting pressure on the 2013 kids to climb aboard or lose the scholly.

I was a UMd fan in 1981. I remember IU fell behind Maryland (I was a big Greg Manning fan) 6-0 in the NCAAs and thinking this Indiana powerhouse was not so bad after all. Knight called a time out, chewed out his guys and they steamrolled Maryland after that. I was crushed then, but it turns out, years later, my team won that game!

But after attending the university, how crushed were you in 2002? :laughlol:;)

99-64, I remember the game well. That was a great IU team..Thomas, Wittman, Ray Tolbert, Landon Turner...etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Two more in-state commitments today from kids at the top of the state's class of 2013. I've seen them ranked first and fourth in that Indiana class - Colin Hartman and Dee Davis. Not sure either will be five star guys when they graduate HS, but both have strong chances of being top 50 kids at least.

There was concern that Hartman was starting to get some Duke interest, but he was at today's win and decided to pull the trigger. There is still a lot of strong HS talent in that 2013 class with Beachem, Smotherman, Irvin and others that could pass both Hartman and Davis, but the main IU message board I belong to believes these are excellent prospects.

Yogi Ferrell, the 2012 #2 rated point guard nationally, is set to commit on Wednesday and it would be a shocker for him to pick someplace besides IU after telling Zeller to pick IU two weeks ago.

Folks here might be more excited that my posts on this thread might start to dry up soon as IU has won eight commits since this thread started in August - playing almost perfectly to my highest hopes back then - and IU is nearly out of scholarships until 2015!

After Ferrell, the biggest remaining piece has been mentioned multiple times above - Gary Harris. Harris might be the best in-state player in that class - ahead of Ferrell and Perea even - and is supposed to have IU and Mich State as his leaders. Harris was at the IU game today - with Zeller, Hartman and Davis - so we'll see.

Crean is on an unbelievable recruiting roll right now - but he's really just keeping the top talent in-state. It's a bit difficult to believe Crean is recruiting past Painter right now given the 16 wins the past two years. Crean built a top 15 or so program at Marquette and there's every reason to believe he can do much better with much better talent. Well, soon enough, he'll have much better talent on the floor than at Marquette.

Ferrell to IU! 17th overall nationally and #2 PG in class of 2012. I saw an article posted this week from 2005 calling Ferrell the top fifth grader in the country.

That's two top 20 guys in the 2012 class, another top 75 and another around 125. All these guys better be calling possibly the best player in that IU high school class - Gary Harris.

Very exciting to look at the basketball future for IU - should be a constant presence in the top 10 beginning in 2013 or earlier with at least three five star guys. Hard to believe nearly the entire wish list in the opening post has come to fruition.

• 3 months later...

Jeremy Hollowell to IU. Ranked 23 or 39 on Scout/Rivals in 2012 class. That gives IU 10, 17, 39, 78 and 137 in the class of 2012 - the number one class nationally according to a respected source or two.

Not many schollies left between now and the 2013 class, but it appears Crean will open up one or two by convincing kids to transfer. A current rumor is that Christian Watford, one of the better players on the current team, may leave, but we'll have to see how that plays out.

Gary Harris, who is the top 2012 in-state high school recruit in Indiana (and the only hoped-for commit mentioned since the beginning of the thread not already commited to IU), is still out there and appears to be looking at IU plus Mich, MichState and Purdue. I do not think IU will win that one.

This thread should be nearing its end with the lack of remaining schollies. For those looking far, far ahead, the Indiana class of 2016 will include Eric Gordon's brother and James Blackmon Jr's brother. Those two are on a top 5 AAU team for the age group, I believe. Ha ha.

Zeller will be on campus in less than six months. Next year looks like a down year for the B10 with all the graduations. Hopefully, IU gets to top 50 status and is NIT bound. After that, I expect IU back in the top 25 and hopefully much higher once these 2012 kids get to campus. It will have been a long road back.

Zeller to Indiana..

Good get for you guys "Hoosiers".

During the Carolina game, they said that this Zeller is the third Zeller boy who was named Mr. Basketball in Indiana. And he's going for a state championship like his brothers. That's some talented family.

During the Carolina game, they said that this Zeller is the third Zeller boy who was named Mr. Basketball in Indiana. And he's going for a state championship like his brothers. That's some talented family.

Zeller and Ferrell both led their teams to IU State HS Championships yesterday in their respective classes. Cody went up against another 7 footer, got him in foul trouble and dominated to lead his HS to a second consecutive state championship. Ferrell's team won a one point game decided in the final minute by a freshman, Trevor Bluitt, who IU is also recruiting into the 2014 class that includes Lyles and Blackmon.

I do not think the Indiana Mr. Basketball has been announced yet (Nantz may have said something like this on national TV), but I could be wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

Zeller did win Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Today, Maxpreps announced the top Freshmen HS All Americans - top honors (first team and Freshman of the Year) to IU Commit Trey Lyles. Blackmon was also first team. Not bad.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/DbxYO275EeCkhgAcxJSkrA/boys-basketball-freshmen-all-american-team.htm

IU appears to be slight leads at this point for the top Indiana HS 2012 recruit - Gary Harris as well as a top top 2013 recruit Jacquan Lyle - no relation to Trey.

Brighter days ahead as Zeller steps on campus in less than five months.

• 6 months later...

IU has just signed it's best recruiting class in years and Zeller is on campus and begins his NCAA career this Friday.

I've seen some projections with IU in the NCAA tourney - we'll see. It would be nice to return, but the team would have to click on a lot of cylinders for that kind of success.

I started this thread 15 months ago and IU landed every prospect noted in the first few posts except for Gary Harris - who today announced for Mich State.

Next year, IU might start three 5 start kids - sophomores and freshmen - and should be pretty darn competitive. Michigan will have McGrary on campus and I believe Iowa is going to be more competitive over the next few years than in some time. It's a down year this year, but the conference is already landing the prospects for its next uptick. The conference has missed competitive IU and Michigan teams for most of the past 10 years and that's about to change - though it would not surprise me to see Wisconsin and Northwestern on a bit of a downturn.

Most should expect this is my last post in this thread for a long time. IU scholarships will be in short supply and hopefully high demand in the next few years as the school re-gains it's luster. The state has some high ceiling talent as far out as the class of 2016 - so the school should continue to be well-fed going forward.

• 11 months later...

Things have come full circle since the beginning of this thread as IU enters this upcoming season as #1 per the AP press for the first time in over 35 years. This is a long way from the 2010-11 team that finished in the vicinity of RPI 200.

IU has their top 6 players back from the team that beat Kentucky last year and advanced to the Sweet 16 (where we lost to Kentucky). Those six are joined by a four recruit freshman class ranked in the top 10 - so IU will be pretty deep as well.

Among the name mentioned in this thread, Cody Zeller is a pre-season player of the year candidate, Ron Patterson did not qualify academically and will join a team next year, and Trey Lyles has de-committed (he is a top 10 kid in the 2014 class).

IU has a good four person class coming in next year, but may be on the verge of two more top 50 kids in that class after a strong effort with the annual Hoosier Hysteria weekend. IU has opened up a good pipeline from the DC metro area and has a verbal from top 50 Stanford Robinson and is in very good standing with Beejay Anya and Troy Williams. IU is chasing players with NCState as the main competition. It appears that school is on the verge of a very strong run in the ACC behind their relatively new coach.

Of course, we have to play the games. The B1G looks very strong this year with three of the top 5 teams and five in the AP Top 25 though there are expectations that as many as 7 or 8 teams will be in the top 25 during the year. I am fortunate to see IU play in the first college bball event at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn in the Legend's Classic when we will play two of Georgia, Georgetown and UCLA. IU will also play UNC in the B1G - ACC challenge.

Looking forward to a great college bball season.

Archived