Does Machado Sign? Will You Be Upset If He Doesn't?

JohnD

Will Machado sign? And what's your reaction?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Will Machado sign? And what's your reaction?

• Yes he will, and I'll be glad
    • Yes he will, but I won't like the deal
    • No he won't, and I'm livid about how it played out
    • No he won't, and it's just as well

Can't see why he wouldn't sign. It's a much deeper draft next year. He's not likely to go as high or get offered as much. The fact that anyone seriously thinks he might not sign, is a credit to the Boras BS machine.

I agree, but also, similar thing with Bywater. He won't get more money next year, but he is still holding out. In the end, I bet both guys get done, but still, they are certainly trying their hardest to gain leverage....

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, but also, similar thing with Bywater. He won't get more money next year, but he is still holding out. In the end, I bet both guys get done, but still, they are certainly trying their hardest to gain leverage....
It also makes no sense not to hold out. They want to be able to get the highest offer the team has budgeted itself to make. So everything happens at 11:59 or whenever.

I expect that Bywater's window to sign closes in a few hours. Once we get into late afternoon, the focus will shift 100% to Machado with any funds allocated to Bywater getting offered to one of the remaining unsigned picks. In essence, the kid has a few hours to "commit" one way or the other. It will be an interesting few hours.

I think he will sign and we'll be glad. But not because it is the end all be all that we sign him. If we don't sign him it won't be such a bad comp that we get a second first round pick next year. Especially if we sign a type A this offseason.

I have a feeling Andy will stare down Boras and Boras will blink. Not for a "bargain" price but for cheaper than the reported 6 mill he wants. Like Wieters... wanted 10, got 6.

What happens if he doesn't sign? Do the Orioles get that pick back for next years draft?

They will get the pick immediately after the team slotted 3rd picks. Assuming Harper and Tallion, this year's #1 and #2 picks sign, then the O's would have the #4 pick next year as compensation along with their own 2011 pick, which would figure to be Top 5 as well.

They will get the pick immediately after the team slotted 3rd picks. Assuming Harper and Tallion' date=' this year's #1 and #2 picks sign, then the O's would have the #4 pick next year as compensation along with their own 2011 pick, which would figure to be Top 5 as well.[/quote']

I wasn't sure of the exact rules, just knew we'd get two high picks. Like I said, that would be a pretty nice consolation prize.

I wasn't sure of the exact rules, just knew we'd get two high picks. Like I said, that would be a pretty nice consolation prize.

The pick isn't protected however. So unless the O's are very sure they can get a top talent guy with that pick to sign, they will be forced to make a signability pick with that slot.

The pick isn't protected however. So unless the O's are very sure they can get a top talent guy with that pick to sign, they will be forced to make a signability pick with that slot.

It's still two picks. If we sign a Type A free agent it lessens the blow.

This whole game of brinksmanship puts teams (like the O's) in tough spots simply because the main agent cannot possibly handle multiple high profile negotiations at the same time.

Who is Boras going to be speaking with at 11:59? He's got Harper too.

Sure, he's got his "team" but you know Boras will want his hands on the #1 and #3 picks.

Isn't this what happened with Alvarez? IIRC, Boras had him and a few other guys (Wieters) negotiating super late, and if not for MLB letting it slide, the deadline should have passed without a contract.

I really hope the Machado negotiations do not suffer from these logistical nightmares.

When's the new CBA negotiations? Next year might not be a concern if a hard slot goes in place.

This whole game of brinksmanship puts teams (like the O's) in tough spots simply because the main agent cannot possibly handle multiple high profile negotiations at the same time.

Who is Boras going to be speaking with at 11:59? He's got Harper too.

Sure, he's got his "team" but you know Boras will want his hands on the #1 and #3 picks.

Isn't this what happened with Alvarez? IIRC, Boras had him and a few other guys (Wieters) negotiating super late, and if not for MLB letting it slide, the deadline should have passed without a contract.

I really hope the Machado negotiations do not suffer from these logistical nightmares.

I asked Roch about that.

scOtt | August 16, 2010 3:46 PM | Reply

Hey Roch, on the Machado signing... how does Harper (and who knows who else) being repped by Boras, how does that affect us signing Machado? Moves our "deadline" to 11:00 pm? Makes it easier for us to negotiate hard because Boras has bigger fish to fry? Or does Boras just have his evil minions helping in negotiations?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

He's used to juggling a lot of clients and he does have people working for him. - Roch

Hey Roch, on the Machado signing... how does Harper (and who knows who else) being repped by Boras, how does that affect us signing Machado? Moves our "deadline" to 11:00 pm? Makes it easier for us to negotiate hard because Boras has bigger fish to fry? Or does Boras just have his evil minions helping in negotiations?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

He's used to juggling a lot of clients and he does have people working for him. - Roch

If Machado doesn't get signed, and the reason for it turns out to be that Boras was too focused in the final hours on Harper to give Manny's negotiations sufficient attention, you can bet that not many future amateur players would want to be "advised" by Boras going into the draft anymore.

When's the new CBA negotiations? Next year might not be a concern if a hard slot goes in place.

That could be a valid point.

Not in favor of hard slotting. I actually like the drama and negotiations that come with the MLB draft, I enjoy how the player has at least some leverage in the process. I do wish they move the deadline up another month.

Archived