Seriously...what is up with Wieters?

Sports Guy

I based my opinion on the sample size and personal observation, but whatever. You just said you'd trade Wieters for Posey in a heartbeat based on an even smaller sample size (Posey). What's up?

No, that's not what I said but way to twist my words Rshack.

I said that if this is how he has always looked then i would make the trade..In other words, if his swing and approach has always been this way, then I greatly question him long term.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes it is. Not always though. But yes, so sorry for not letting people off easy when they clearly dodge questions or points that they'll have a tough time dealing with. And yeah, you and Pedro never do that either.

LOL..yea, that's what you are doing! :D:rolleyes:

Sometimes it is. Not always though. But yes, so sorry for not letting people off easy when they clearly dodge questions or points that they'll have a tough time dealing with. And yeah, you and Pedro never do that either.

Ah it's all in good fun dude. We're about to lose out on the #3 overall pick in this year's draft -- probably could use a light-hearted moment.

I compared the differences between Wieters' swing from 2008 and 2010 last month. Here is the link:

Matt Wieters mechanics

It's not a perfect analysis as the angles of each swing are a little different, which complicates matters and I couldn't find the necessary clips to compare his right hand side swing, but it does give you a nice synopsis of the changes Wieters has undergone over the last couple of years.

Good stuff indeed. Now send this to Matt.

I think Wieters will be a star, eventually. Baseball Prospectus rated his final minor league season as one of the best in the history of baseball. He also had a strong rookie year in the majors.

What changed? All that talent doesn't just vanish. He's just having a bad year. Trying to adjust to those that adjusted to him, maybe. The old sophomore slump perhaps (so vague).

It's definitely disappointing though. It seems like he swings in slow motion, stuck in quicksand.

LOL..yea, that's what you are doing! :D:rolleyes:

Laugh all you like, but yes, that is what I'm doing, and it clearly is the case when I do. But I wouldn't expect you to admit you ever have trouble handling any question or point, so this response was predictable.

So what are you doing and when you do the same thing?

Laugh all you like, but yes, that is what I'm doing, and it clearly is the case when I do. But I wouldn't expect you to admit you ever have trouble handling any question or point, so this response was predictable.

So what are you doing and when you do the same thing?

Trust me, nothing you have ever asked me is something I would ever have trouble handling.

So you don't have an answer to "Would you trade Wieters for Posey?". I answered it yesterday without hesitation. You can't answer it, or won't. A hitter can't look this way when he's hitting .370 in college and .350 in the minors. Way not to take a position when you demand other people answer questions. LOL

My quick is answer is no I wouldn't do it...but I would need to further analyze things to know if that is something that will change.

By all means, go take your time and analyze things and get back to us with an answer when it's convenient for you.

Are you going to disect his swing path in old college broadcasts? Measure his bat speed from the minors? Just what analysis will we be waiting for?

You aren't going to be waiting for anything because I have no need to do it for you.

As someone without access to those things, i don't make the deal.

Now, NovaO showed us some stuff and that leads me to believe that he needs to change things and should be ok and if he does that, then Wieters will be better.

Probably close to the size of yours.

You are quite the comedian. However, I am willing to admit that people have made points that have made my position look poor or that have been difficult to respond to. It happens sometimes, and that's ok with me.

Well he throws well and he blocks the ball well, but his game calling leaves a lot to be desired.

That's all well and good as far as throwing and blocking. Craig Tatum does that! We need this guy to be an impact bat in the middle of the order. Instead we have a guy who grounds out to second base.

Let's face it, if he doesn't become a middle of the order guy, it sets the franchise back a ton. That is not a stretch either.

That's all well and good as far as throwing and blocking. Craig Tatum does that! We need this guy to be an impact bat in the middle of the order. Instead we have a guy who grounds out to second base.

Let's face it, if he doesn't become a middle of the order guy, it sets the franchise back a ton. That is not a stretch either.

Unless Craig Tatum can block a slider in the dirt from the dugout 6 days a week, that's not helpful. And if he can, then we definitely have been paying attention to the wrong catcher!

I'm sure its been said here before, but its 7AM and I've been at work for an hour already...What's his mental makeup? I feel like people who are either smarter or more self-aware have a much easier time correcting these things.

Finally, I really do think his defense makes up for some of the deficiency in his bat. A great defensive, .750-.800 OPS catcher is surely not as valuable as what we hoped he would become, and maybe not be the cornerstone of a franchise, but that doesn't mean we begin benching him or doing anything like that.

Wieters lack of production at the plate is because he is tired. Its as simply as that. That got a lot of rest in July and he hit well. Buck has played him in 12 of 14 games since Buck took over. That is not enough rest.

Buck will figure it out in time. He evaluates everything. It just a matter of times before Buck starts playing Tatum more and giving Wieters the rest he needs.

Archived