Orioles vs. Red Sox Draft - Can they really be compared?

For Discussion - As the Orioles draft is usually compared to the Red Sox Draft, mainly due to the reason they normally draft well and sign overslotters.

Red Sox Draft Picks Signed Through Rd. 10

1 Kolbrin Vitek 3B Ball State 1.359 mill

1s Bryce Brentz OF Middle Tennessee St. $892,000

1s Anthony Ranaudo RHP LSU 2.55 mill

2 B. Workman RHP Texas $800,000

3 Sean Coyle SS Germantown (PA) 1.3 mill

4 Garin Cecchini SS Barbe HS (LA) 1.31 mill

5 Henry Ramos RF Alfonso Casta HS $138,200

6 Kendrick Perkins CF La Porte HS (TX) $600,000

7 Chris Hernandez LHP Miami $375,000

8 Mathew Price RHP Virginia Tech ???

10 Jacob Dahlstrand RHP Memorial HS (TX) $150,000

Orioles Draft Picks Signed Through Rd. 10

1 Manny Machado, SS, Brito HS (FL) 5.25 mill

3 Daniel Klein, RHP, UCLA - $499,000

4 Trent Mummey, OF, Auburn - $252,000

5 Connor Narron, SS, C. B. Aycock HS (NC) - $650,000

7 Matt Bywater, LHP, Pepperdine - $195,000

8 Wynston Sawyer, C, Scripps Ranch HS (CA) - $300,000

9 Parker Bridwell, RHP, Hereford HS (TX)- $625,000

10 Clayton Schrader, RHP, San Jacinto JC - $300,000

The Red Sox spent approximately 9.5 million on their top picks (does not include overslotters after round 10), while the Orioles spent approximately 8.07 million (also not including players signed after round 10).

Now for my point:

While some argue talent, dollars, and other areas between the Orioles and Red Sox, one thing is for certain. I feel 80-90% of the time, it may hinder the Orioles in their overall draft by having a top pick. Why do I say this? Simply for the reason that their draft budget is spent more than 50% on one player. While I love to have high ceiling players, the concern is are they going to pan out. Experts will say you must have a surplus of talent, but when you pick as high as the Orioles, you cannot get some of the larger upsided players who drop in the draft.

Take for example (and I only took the top 10 rounds - both teams had some overslotters later) the Red Sox top picks:

By having a later pick in Rd 1 - the Red Sox were able to sign their player to a slot deal of 1.359 mill. The extra 4 million (difference between Machado and Vitek) was able to be spread out on picks in round 3 and 4 and later (not comparing the extra supplemental picks). While the Red Sox did have a 2nd round pick, I personally have an issue with our strategy.

The Orioles say they want to be able to compete in the Rule 4 (Amateur Draft), but yet I don't feel this is competing. By placing "all of our eggs in one basket" boy do I hope Machado pans out. As many of us have expressed, we need to allot more money to the draft if we are not going to spend internationally!

Your thoughts?

Now for my point:

While some argue talent, dollars, and other areas between the Orioles and Red Sox, one thing is for certain. I feel 80-90% of the time, it may hinder the Orioles in their overall draft by having a top pick. Why do I say this? Simply for the reason that their draft budget is spent more than 50% on one player. While I love to have high ceiling players, the concern is are they going to pan out. Experts will say you must have a surplus of talent, but when you pick as high as the Orioles, you cannot get some of the larger upsided players who drop in the draft.

Take for example (and I only took the top 10 rounds - both teams had some overslotters later) the Red Sox top picks:

By having a later pick in Rd 1 - the Red Sox were able to sign their player to a slot deal of 1.359 mill. The extra 4 million (difference between Machado and Vitek) was able to be spread out on picks in round 3 and 4 and later (not comparing the extra supplemental picks). While the Red Sox did have a 2nd round pick, I personally have an issue with our strategy.

The Orioles say they want to be able to compete in the Rule 4 (Amateur Draft), but yet I don't feel this is competing. By placing "all of our eggs in one basket" boy do I hope Machado pans out. As many of us have expressed, we need to allot more money to the draft if we are not going to spend internationally!

Your thoughts?

Having a high draft pick shouldn't hinder our draft. This isn't the NFL, there is no salary cap. We can spend as much as we want to.

The Red Sox had three more picks between their first pick and our second pick and they had actually spent more money heading into the third round than we had. So no, I don't see having a top 5 pick as a hindrance to our draft.

Here's a good question for Stotle if he'd indulge me - Is Machado alone better than Vitek, Brentz, and Renaudo combined?

I had Machado more highly ranked than any of Vitek/Brentz/Ranaudo, but would rather have that trio (which has the chance to include three solid ML players in a relatively short amount of time). Machado has the higher ceiling, the trio has the best risk profile without sacrificing too much ceiling. You're more likely to get a ML contributor with those three than with Machado.

Of course, it isn't really fair to use that as a metric since it isn't like BAL had a chance to draft three players before the 2nd Round.

For Discussion - As the Orioles draft is usually compared to the Red Sox Draft, mainly due to the reason they normally draft well and sign overslotters.

The Red Sox spent approximately 9.5 million on their top picks (does not include overslotters after round 10), while the Orioles spent approximately 8.07 million (also not including players signed after round 10).

Now for my point:

Your thoughts?

You must have loved our 2009 draft then.

I had Machado more highly ranked than any of Vitek/Brentz/Ranaudo, but would rather have that trio (which has the chance to include three solid ML players in a relatively short amount of time). Machado has the higher ceiling, the trio has the best risk profile without sacrificing too much ceiling. You're more likely to get a ML contributor with those three than with Machado.

Of course, it isn't really fair to use that as a metric since it isn't like BAL had a chance to draft three players before the 2nd Round.

I wanted to do a "kinda comparison" including Klein, but they had Workman and Coyle....thank you very much though. Appreciate it.

I like top of the Sox draft better than ours as well, but they play the system very well by getting extra picks for their Type A free agents. We don't have those types of players on our roster because of our payroll. We had one pick in the first two rounds, while they had four. We have one of the 3 most talented players in the draft while they have four college players who were highly regarded and one (Ranaudo) who was a potential top 5 pick who fell because of injury and price.

Archived