Grade the O's draft now that signings are done

Now that signings are done, how do you grade this draft?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Now that signings are done, how do you grade this draft?

I guess as a reliever you can move through the leagues quicker. So he could help as early as fall 2011 maybe.

In general I am not sure what I think about this draft. Right after the draft I was super disappointed as I saw other teams take the picks that I thought would be a no-brainer in round 3 and 4. Also with the position that the Orioles are in I am kind of disappointing that we did not sign Urban.

I gave the draft a C.

He was about 50k short of what he says he would have signed for.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Compared to other teams this year, I suppose. The team is always going to fall short against a possible draft, if your opinion of who the best players are differs from Joe Jordan's.

Oh, right. What I was getting at is that BOS has a way better haul, but that's to be expected since they have 5 picks in the first 3 rds to BAL's 2.

I would love to have seen the medicals on Hahn -- seems like a great risk for TAM to take. I would have liked to see on upside college arm (like Grimm) grabbed at the expense of a JuCo or HSer.

I'd say solid B/C -- I think C is probably too harsh considering I really like Klein and Machado has a very high ceiling, but B is a better than average haul and I don't see BAL as necessarily landing that.

I still am not a big fan of the draft....I like the Klein pick but I think it is a mistake to make him a starter..Obviously Machado has major upside but we shall see if we can develop it.

So, Klein and Machado are the only guys we drafted? I am not gonna say this was a fantastic draft, but I like what we did. We mixed it up which is nice. Mummey is a nice addition regardless of questions about his upside. Klein was a good pick, he has 4 pitches that are apparently above average with good command. Machado is the best HS SS in the last few years to come out of the draft. Narron and Sawyer are nice additions for the positional side with good upside. As for the arms, Klein already being mentioned, but I really like Esquivel. Also, Bridwell, Vader and Wise are good additions to the system. Bywater is a solid pick who has a great changeup and could move quickly. Wish we could have added Urban and Gonzalez, but it is what it is.......Still, we made some good choices, though there are a few I would have liked to have grabbed....

One thing is for sure, with Covey and Whitson going to college, it will be fun to follow them and see how they do.....

Oh, right. What I was getting at is that BOS has a way better haul, but that's to be expected since they have 5 picks in the first 3 rds to BAL's 2.

I would love to have seen the medicals on Hahn -- seems like a great risk for TAM to take. I would have liked to see on upside college arm (like Grimm) grabbed at the expense of a JuCo or HSer.

I'd say solid B/C -- I think C is probably too harsh considering I really like Klein and Machado has a very high ceiling, but B is a better than average haul and I don't see BAL as necessarily landing that.

B- sounds about right....

There were a couple disaster drafts out there from other teams. My god the Yankees wasted $$ on Dickie Joe Thon.....I actually like the Nats draft as well as BOS

Top flight BP arms are not easy to find.

And you think Klein will be a top flight BP arm within one or two years?

He needs some time to develop and the best way for him to get as much development as possible would be to stick him in the starting rotation and allow him to work on his secondary pitches. If we're in desperate need of a top flight BP arm within the next two years than we can stick him in the bullpen similar to what the ChiSox have done with Chris Sale.

I don't understand the rush to get Klein to the majors so quickly. Odds are we won't be contending for a playoff spot within the next two years as it is.

I don't understand the rush to get Klein to the majors so quickly. Odds are we won't be contending for a playoff spot within the next two years as it is.

History has shown that college closers can move very rapidly through the minors.

To me, the rush is that the O's current young starters could use players in the bullpen that can actually keep the other team from scoring.

History has shown that college closers can move very rapidly through the minors.

To me, the rush is that the O's current young starters could use players in the bullpen that can actually keep the other team from scoring.

I know that they can move rapidly through the minors. My point is that I'd rather give him a shot to prove he can be a starter rather than just giving up on that possibility just so he can make it to Baltimore a year or two earlier. If the time comes and the O's are in desperate need of a bullpen arm, we could call up Klein and have him pitch out of the bullpen ala Chris Sale, Joba, David Price.

I just don't understand why the Orioles NEED Klein to get here so fast. Most likely not contending next year. Let Klein start off in the rotation where he'll get the chance to refine his mechanics and work on his secondary pitches. Worst case scenario is he fails in the rotation and then he rises rapidly through the system as a reliever.

I am somewhat surprised folks here know enough to grade the draft, but I understand it's a fan's exercise.

I have the impression Joe Jordan signed most everyone he wanted to so I take comfort in that.

However, I liked the additional "smattering of $200k+ bonus guys" from last year that provides some insurance if some of the bigger names don't pan out. I would have really liked to sign Dixon (probably looking for a lot more than $200k), Gonzalez and Urban.

I think we had a pretty good draft, but its something we won't know for years. But as of now we sign some good players who in theory should do well for us. I read an article yesterday that said that the Brewers only spent 2 million dollars on there draft and i just thought "wow". Of course they didnt sign their #1 pick because he choose to not sign and deal with his diabetes which i respect but still only 2 million dollars. I can only imagine how many players they signed. I know our number looks alot more because of Machado's 5+ million contract but still we didnt even have a 2nd round pick.

Yes
He needs some time to develop and the best way for him to get as much development as possible would be to stick him in the starting rotation and allow him to work on his secondary pitches.
There is a lot of truth in this but again, its going to take him a long time to build up his innings...That's a big problem..and on top of that, he may not be good enough to be a starter. So, you may end up spending 2-3 years, at least, trying to find out what is likely known right now.
I don't understand the rush to get Klein to the majors so quickly. Odds are we won't be contending for a playoff spot within the next two years as it is
.Maybe, maybe not...But it would be nice to have him established by the time we are contending, as opposed to putting a rookie in the midst of a pennant race late in ball games.

Yes

There is a lot of truth in this but again, its going to take him a long time to build up his innings...That's a big problem..and on top of that, he may not be good enough to be a starter. So, you may end up spending 2-3 years, at least, trying to find out what is likely known right now.

.Maybe, maybe not...But it would be nice to have him established by the time we are contending, as opposed to putting a rookie in the midst of a pennant race late in ball games.

With what we know about Klein, what would make you think he wouldn't be good in the rotation? Its said that his FB is a low 90's pitch, touched 95 yesterday, has a changeup, slider and curve, all of which "play above average", has above average command, a great pitcher's body, good mound presence and an idea of what it takes to get the job done on the mound.

His only big question is about stretching him out......

Rather big assumption there.

Not that it should have to be said again, but everyone please keep in mind that $$ does not equal talent in the draft. Many variables go into the negotiations when deciding upon a bonus, and one kid signing for $225K is not necessarily any better (now or future) than a player getting $125K. Have to look at the whole picture.

Archived