Grade the O's draft now that signings are done

Now that signings are done, how do you grade this draft?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Now that signings are done, how do you grade this draft?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My inclination was that this is a C- draft, based on upside outside outside of Machado/Klein. Granted, if one of those two hits close to their ceiling, it could turn into something much better.

Really? So you don't like Narron, Esquivel, Sawyer, Schrader, Bywater, Bridwell, Wise, or Vader?

So are you saying the rest of the draft is a a C- other than Machado and Klein or are you grading this last draft overall as a C-?

Unbelievable some on here are saying that a draft is a C- if you exclude the two highest picks we had. Any draft that produces two regular everyday players is atleast a B. I would think it is very likely that this draft exceeds two ML regulars. What is the criteria that you are grading on? Based on your upside comment I guess you don't like the upside of the picks. How many teams drafted a guy that has allstar SS has a very reasonable ceiling. Klien

has a ceiling of a number two and the thing that really helps this pick is his floor is probably a good setup guy. Throw in all of the overslot high ceiling guy. I just don't get what your saying. The truth about almost all draft is the grade you can give any year is based largely on how a few high picks pan out. So I find your premise completely flawed.

Really? So you don't like Narron, Esquivel, Sawyer, Schrader, Bywater, Bridwell, Wise, or Vader?

So are you saying the rest of the draft is a a C- other than Machado and Klein or are you grading this last draft overall as a C-?

Yeah, those guys sound like they have decent potential, but generally not a great chance of hitting their upside.

My best guess is that any draft can turn into a great draft if all of the guys with any upside get developed and generally meet their potential. But any team can say that, and I'd wager that most teams pretty much have a bunch of guys just like ours who they think can all become the next good/great major leaguer.

Unbelievable some on here are saying that a draft is a C- if you exclude the two highest picks we had. Any draft that produces two regular everyday players is atleast a B. I would think it is very likely that this draft exceeds two ML regulars. What is the criteria that you are grading on? Based on your upside comment I guess you don't like the upside of the picks. How many teams drafted a guy that has allstar SS has a very reasonable ceiling. Klien

has a ceiling of a number two and the thing that really helps this pick is his floor is probably a good setup guy. Throw in all of the overslot high ceiling guy. I just don't get what your saying. The truth about almost all draft is the grade you can give any year is based largely on how a few high picks pan out. So I find your premise completely flawed.

Machado's upside is VERY high, for sure. There are also some rumblings that he won't stick at SS, and he's very young, so while his ceiling is high, his floor is still undefined.

Klein's hype on this site is a joke, IMO. I like the pick, but he'd have to basically have everything go perfectly for him to be a solid #2. He was a reliever in college for goodness sakes. I'll be rooting for the guy, and I'm certainly not ruling out that he can be a solid starter or power bullpen guy for us in the future, but I'm probably putting the probability of the former somewhat lower than you are.

I REALLY wish we had some supplemental picks and a 2nd rounder. Most of my frustration has to do with our lack of quantity at the top of the draft. The success or failure of this draft rests too heavily on a high school SS and a college reliever. So, yeah, C-.

First I don't think it is fair to be critical of JJ about picks he did not have. Secondly Klien was in the pen because of injury. That is something that is missed around here by alot of posters.

Why wouldn't the injury history be a knock against him sticking long term in a rotation? I like Klein a lot. It will be a tough road for him to be molded into a solid ML starter, let alone a #2. I mean, the best arms in the draft this year were potential #2s and it was like two or three guys. Most of the best college starters from 2010 are much more likely to top out as #3s -- it's a bit much to start calling Klein a potential #2 at this point. Let's see how he responds to going five innings every five days.

Why wouldn't the injury history be a knock against him sticking long term in a rotation? I like Klein a lot. It will be a tough road for him to be molded into a solid ML starter, let alone a #2. I mean, the best arms in the draft this year were potential #2s and it was like two or three guys. Most of the best college starters from 2010 are much more likely to top out as #3s -- it's a bit much to start calling Klein a potential #2 at this point. Let's see how he responds to going five innings every five days.

Harvey has a #1 ceiling IMO..........Not saying I expect him to become a #1, but he does have the potential I'd say.....

Kinda off subject though......

Harvey has a #1 ceiling IMO..........Not saying I expect him to become a #1, but he does have the potential I'd say.....

Kinda off subject though......

I guess it depends on how willing you are to project potential improvement with regards to command and consistency. I mean, the more liberal you are with your ratings (glass is half-full) the higher ceilings you're going to hand out. Sort of like saying Britton has #1 ceiling if his slider continues to improve and if his change-up becomes a legit plus pitch with consistency and if he cuts down on walks and if and if and if and so on.

My guess is you'd give Klein a #2 ceiling?

I guess it depends on how willing you are to project potential improvement with regards to command and consistency. I mean, the more liberal you are with your ratings (glass is half-full) the higher ceilings you're going to hand out. Sort of like saying Britton has #1 ceiling if his slider continues to improve and if his change-up becomes a legit plus pitch with consistency and if he cuts down on walks and if and if and if and so on.

My guess is you'd give Klein a #2 ceiling?

I was actually thinking Klein a #3 ceiling and Britton a #2 ceiling......I don't expect the changup to become plus, I'd say it'll be an average pitch...

And Klein's velocity isn't going to be touching 95 when he is a starter IMO, he only would throw that hard when in shorter stints. As a starter he will probably be 90-93, which is significant....Thats why I'd say a #3 ceiling...

I was actually thinking Klein a #3 ceiling and Britton a #2 ceiling......I don't expect the changup to become plus, I'd say it'll be an average pitch...

And Klein's velocity isn't going to be touching 95 when he is a starter IMO, he only would throw that hard when in shorter stints. As a starter he will probably be 90-93, which is significant....Thats why I'd say a #3 ceiling...

I don't think there's any way to know what velocity he'll have as a starter, to say nothing of the fact that it's likely to vacillate throughout the season. I can buy a #3 ceiling, but from me it would come with a very low probability tag. It's very difficult to do what Klein is doing without an injury history -- he'll need to build-up arm strength and stamina all while continuing to improve his pitches and his approach against more advanced hitters.

I'm not saying he won't do it, but it will be difficult.

I have alot of concern that the injury was not TJS. It seems there have been improvement in the area of shoulder surgery. However it would be completely expected for a minor league guy to be handled the same one year removed from shoulder repair. As to the comments about his ceiling we really are not far apart in our view.

First I don't think it is fair to be critical of JJ about picks he did not have. Secondly Klien was in the pen because of injury. That is something that is missed around here by alot of posters.

I'm grading the O's draft relative to other teams, not Jordan's draft relative to his opportunity. I'd give that anywhere from a B to a C, with the difference being almost entirely dependent on what Klein projects as.

Archived