Nyjer Morgan

Dipper9

Nyjer Morgan suspended for 8 games

Pitcher Chris Volstad has been suspended for six games and fined an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing at Morgan on two occasions and for fighting during the benches-clearing incident.

Pitcher Alex Sanabia has received a five-game suspension for fighting

First baseman Gaby Sanchez has received a three-game suspension for his aggressive actions and fighting.

Pitcher Jose Veras has been fined for his aggressive actions and comments during the incident.

Nationals pitcher Doug Slaten has received a three-game suspension for intentionally throwing a pitch at Sanchez in the bottom of the seventh after a warning had been issued in the sixth inning.

Nationals manager Jim Riggleman has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount.

Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez has been suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount.

Nationals third base coach Pat Listach has been suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the 8 games suspension...

MLB's statement Friday said Morgan was being suspended for "unnecessarily" running over Anderson on Saturday, for "inappropriate comments" directed toward the fans on Tuesday, and for charging the mound and making inappropriate gestures and comments toward the fans on Wednesday.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time getting upset at Morgan for these latest incidents. Perhaps he didn't have to collide with the Marlins catcher but it certainly wasn't dirty. Just because players these days rarely make contact with the catcher, doesn't mean that he should be criticized for actually doing so. There was a time when catchers actually got pummeled for blocking the plate. Look at Pete Rose.

The Marlins didn't like it and they hit him the next time up...fine. He didn't get upset and took his base. He stole two bases and they didn't like that because they were winning big so they threw behind him. Seems to me that the Marlins were more in the wrong for this stuff than Morgan was. Taunting the fans was pretty lame though.

They could have a picture of Albert Belle in the breast pocket, it would be awesome.

Going to have to disagree with you on the barreling into the catcher thing. No way that was necessary on that play. I've played a lot of baseball and there are certainly times when the catcher should be barreled into. When he's on the other side of the plate and the throw is not even there yet and a slide actually would have made the play less close, it's dumb and unnecessary. 99% of the players in baseball would have slid. Jack-hole here found it as an opportunity to put some damage on another player.

He was standing over top of the plate with his feet on either side. Maybe he would have been safe if he slid but if the catcher has the right to block the plate then runner should have the right to take him out.

Wow! Because it wasn't cowardly to run through the catcher on a non close play at home????

And props to the first baseman for nearly taking Nyjer's head off with that clothesline!!!!

That play was way closer than some of you all are making it sound. The catcher caught the ball and turned to make the play. If it was completely unnecessary to collide then he probably would have hit him before the ball even got to his glove.

I know that when a guy gets hit he wants to go out and do something to make the other team pay, but under these circumstances he was just INVITING more trouble.

How? By playing baseball? Have we really gotten to the "she shouldn't have worn that dress" defense?

How? By playing baseball? Have we really gotten to the "she shouldn't have worn that dress" defense?

I think one of the things to remember is the fact that Morgan intentionally hit the catcher in the series before (with the Cardinals, I think?) when there was ABSOLUTELY no play at the plate. He went out of his way to knock into the catcher, all the while missing home plate.

I think one of the things to remember is the fact that Morgan intentionally hit the catcher in the series before (with the Cardinals, I think?) when there was ABSOLUTELY no play at the plate. He went out of his way to knock into the catcher, all the while missing home plate.

Yeah I've been searching for that video but haven't been able to find it yet. Let it be said that I agree with the growing sentiment that Morgan is a bit of a douche. I just don't have a huge problem with anything he did in the Marlins series.

Edited to add: Or was this where he knocked the catcher's glove off and then was called out because his teammates touched him telling him to go back and hit the plate?

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time getting upset at Morgan for these latest incidents. Perhaps he didn't have to collide with the Marlins catcher but it certainly wasn't dirty. Just because players these days rarely make contact with the catcher, doesn't mean that he should be criticized for actually doing so. There was a time when catchers actually got pummeled for blocking the plate. Look at Pete Rose.

The Marlins didn't like it and they hit him the next time up...fine. He didn't get upset and took his base. He stole two bases and they didn't like that because they were winning big so they threw behind him. Seems to me that the Marlins were more in the wrong for this stuff than Morgan was. Taunting the fans was pretty lame though.

100% true. The hit on the Marlins catcher was NOT dirty. Then they hit him with a pitch.

Well, stealing bases is a good way to get back at getting hit by a pitch. And even in the book "Baseball Codes," there's no mention of an unwritten rule against stealing bases while DOWN.

And then they threw at him a second time?? Not that charging the mound is a good thing, but they threw at him twice and Volstad obviously was looking for the brawl, dropping his glove and getting ready.

There's definitely some racial aspects to the media criticism imo. Does anyone ever call Utley a thug for running into catchers? Eckstein and Pierzynski are "scrappy."

The only thing Morgan has done that I think was wrong was veering into and pushing the Cardinals catcher, and even that was never going to hurt anyone.

Gaby Sanchez: "I mean I just took it as, we hit him the first time, I think we're up by eleven at that point in time and when he got to first he ends up stealing second and then stealing third, down by eleven. And that's the whole gist of the conversation, you know I heard, you really don't do that in baseball. I can understand if it's a four-run lead, and you know, they hit you on purpose and you go ahead and steal second and steal third, then I don't think it's anything of a big deal, but when the team's down by eleven, we're not really holding him on, we're not really doing anything and he ends up stealing second and then third, and I know a lot of the guys were upset about the whole situation, so just try to hit him again kinda thing."

Stealing bases when down = wrong. Hit that guy again.

He was standing over top of the plate with his feet on either side. Maybe he would have been safe if he slid but if the catcher has the right to block the plate then runner should have the right to take him out.

The baserunner also has the right to run straight through first base. If you have a clean single it's unnecessary, and in the case of an error potentially costly.

Just because the runner is "allowed" to do something, doesn't mean they should.

More like the "she took the roofies herself" defense.

Gaby Sanchez: "I mean I just took it as, we hit him the first time, I think we're up by eleven at that point in time and when he got to first he ends up stealing second and then stealing third, down by eleven. And that's the whole gist of the conversation, you know I heard, you really don't do that in baseball. I can understand if it's a four-run lead, and you know, they hit you on purpose and you go ahead and steal second and steal third, then I don't think it's anything of a big deal, but when the team's down by eleven, we're not really holding him on, we're not really doing anything and he ends up stealing second and then third, and I know a lot of the guys were upset about the whole situation, so just try to hit him again kinda thing."

Stealing bases when down = wrong. Hit that guy again.

You just hit a guy on purpose and you're not holding him on? What the hell do you think he's going to do? Just stand there? You don't want him to steal, hold him on.

Otherwise, STFU.

BTW, does anyone know if Morgan has always been like this or if this is something that's developed recently.

Archived