Nyjer Morgan

Dipper9

First off, I'm not making things up. Read what I wrote and you'll see the word IF. The reason for stating those things were possible is that earlier in the thread someone mentioned that he was running his mouth after he got on base. Someone else mentioned that his slide may have been too aggressive - thus the use of the word IF. I believe another of the players were quoted as saying he was running his mouth too much.

Speaking of making excuses, aren't you the one who threw in the "he was a hockey player" excuse? That has nothing to do with any of this.

I didn't said you did, I just said there's no need -- no need to go fishing for additional things he did for us to consider, when a Marlins player is on the record saying it was done for stealing bases.

BTW, "He was a hockey player!" isn't me making an excuse. I don't have to, because he didn't do anything wrong. The collision with the catcher was legal, stealing bases is all well and good when you're behind, the slides looked normal, and Gaby didn't say anything about mouthing off -- just stealing while down 11. So again, the "hockey player" thing isn't an "excuse," it's just a look into his possible thinking and why he decided to truck the catcher instead of slide.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I understand why they hit him the first time. He hit the catcher, so they hit him back and send him a message. I just think it was pretty stupid to throw at him again, and because he stole bases. And I think most people here agree that it wasn't a good reason to attempt hitting him a second time. But for some reason, some people are therefore trying to come up with better reasons. Why? What's inspiring people to invent alternative reasons, other than the reason Gaby Sanchez openly gave, to justify throwing at Morgan a second time?

I don't have a problem with him running over the catcher or stealing the bases. So yeah, I think the Marlins are mostly at fault here. I'm not defending previous actions by Morgan or saying he's a good guy, but those plays were fine.

I do agree with blid that race comes into play here.

Pete Rose or Eckstein or the even Jeter (mixed but pretty light and is already adored) would be called a gamer for running over the catcher and stealing the bases by a much higher percentage of the media and fans.

I don't have a problem with him running over the catcher or stealing the bases. So yeah, I think the Marlins are mostly at fault here. I'm not defending previous actions by Morgan or saying he's a good guy, but those plays were fine.

I do agree with blid that race comes into play here.

Pete Rose or Eckstein or the even Jeter (mixed but pretty light and is already adored) would be called a gamer for running over the catcher and stealing the bases by a much higher percentage of the media and fans.

Pete Rose was dead to rights at home when he ran over that catcher, so lets' not act like that is anything similar. If that were the case, no one would care. The problem is doing something that hurts your team AND makes you look like an ass while you do it.

Pete Rose was dead to rights at home when he ran over that catcher, so lets' not act like that is anything similar. If that were the case, no one would care. The problem is doing something that hurts your team AND makes you look like an ass while you do it.

So Pete Rose was always dead to rights at home? I doubt that. Besides, it was a hypothetical saying that those types of players could get away with that much more-so than Morgan. Do you disagree?

It's going way over the top to say he would have definitely been safe if he slide, he may have, but I doubt it. The chances were about the same either way imo. Then the stealing of the bases, well that is pretty clearly not him hurting his team or looking like an ass imo.

So Pete Rose was always dead to rights at home? I doubt that.

Pete Rose ALWAYS ran over the catcher? I doubt that.

Besides, it was a hypothetical saying that those types of players could get away with that much more-so than Morgan. Do you disagree?

Without question.

It's going way over the top to say he would have definitely been safe if he slide, he may have, but I doubt it. The chances were about the same either way imo.

Then you didn't watch the play. The catcher didn't even have a chance to turn around all the way before he got crushed, and he still had to drop the tag. Morgan was safe easily had he slid.

Then you didn't watch the play. The catcher didn't even have a chance to turn around all the way before he got crushed, and he still had to drop the tag. Morgan was safe easily had he slid.

I think Morgan made up his mind to level him long before he reached the plate. That doesn't make it a dirty play.

He would've been safe if he had slid, but the funny thing is that I think Morgan might actually have been safe anyway. Looks to me as if he plants his foot at the edge of the plate just as he's running into the tag.

Not that it matters at this point.

Pete Rose ALWAYS ran over the catcher? I doubt that.

Without question.

Who said Rose always ran over the catcher? Certainly not me. I would be very surprised if he never ran over a catcher in a similar play to what Morgan did.

Well I'm not sure what reality you live in if you really think guys like Eckstein and Jeter are given the same treatment by fans and the media as guys like Morgan.

I did watch the play and maybe he would have been safe, but the catcher did turn around, and there's no question that it's plausible to think that Morgan felt he was going to have to do that as he was approaching the plate.

It's really just absurd to put this incident on Morgan. Regardless of what you feel about him running over the catcher, he was already hit for that, so why the next pitch behind him? There is absolutely nothing wrong with stealing the bases after getting hit. For the Marlins to throw at him or behind him for that is a joke.

Morgan needs to be banned for the remainder of the season. He's on a war path for some reason. Are you serious? Throwing at a fan?? OK Ron Artest! :rolleyes:
The fan he hit says he doesn't think there were any ill intentions, and he just wasn't looking.

Archived