Stark on Baseball Tonight

DC2Dallas

Santana isnt going to happen either. The angels need him and Colon is hurting. Lets not forget that the Astros are offering what many consider the 2 best prospect in baseball. I perfer bats to arms but they certainly arent offering chopped liver.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Santana isnt going to happen either. The angels need him and Colon is hurting. Lets not forget that the Astros are offering what many consider the 2 best prospect in baseball. I perfer bats to arms but they certainly arent offering chopped liver.

I haven't seen anybody rating Hirsch as the #2 overall prospect in baseball, although Wood was rated about that highly at the start of the season.

I think I've seen Hirsch considered the #2 pitching prospect, but not overall.

You're right, Colon left in the 1st the other day. The Angels may ultimately choose some lesser target since they are playing lights out since about a week before the AS game. Some of their young arms are ready though and they have been brought up for spot starts this year, with only Weaver staying thus far.

Some of what the Angels do probably depends on the whether or not the A's trade Zito and their sense of urgency

I just remember seeing a post a cple days ago linked to a Baseball America page of hot prospects and the Stros pitchers were 1 and 2 and if I remember correctly Hirsch has something like a 0.93 ERA in AAA.

I don't think I've ever seen Hirsch rated that high. But he's a good prospect. My concern is that I'd rather get a couple of good young bats, since we already have bunch of good pitching prospects. Not that getting more arms is a bad thing, but given the choice I'd rather have position prospects. So I'd much prefer something like Aybar, Adenhart, Kotchman, and Mathis to any Astro's package.

I agree bats are what we need and I also agree that "hey you can never have to much pitching to deal from". So in the end lets just take whichever package we can actually get done! Both will benefit the O's in the long run!

I don't think you can place enough emphasis on Houston's urgency here. They went out big to get Clemens to return, and now feel like they absolutely HAVE to make something happen to get back into the post-season. I remember last year Clemens was griping about them not making any Beltran-esque moves. If one team was more likely (AA's vs. HA's) I would think it has to be Houston.

I don't think you can place enough emphasis on Houston's urgency here. They went out big to get Clemens to return, and now feel like they absolutely HAVE to make something happen to get back into the post-season. I remember last year Clemens was griping about them not making any Beltran-esque moves. If one team was more likely (AA's vs. HA's) I would think it has to be Houston.

Thats a good point. Plus they always lay a goose egg when Clemens is on the mound, they need another bat.

I just remember seeing a post a cple days ago linked to a Baseball America page of hot prospects and the Stros pitchers were 1 and 2 and if I remember correctly Hirsch has something like a 0.93 ERA in AAA.

1 and 2 for the Astros. not MLB top 100 prospects.

Its simple...Wood, Adenhart, Kotchman, and be done with it. The Os get Tejada's replacement in Wood. A starting 1B, and another stud arm for the future. Then in the offseason the O's could package some of their surplus of young arms for a bonafide OF power bat.

Git er done FO!!

I'm hearing it to the Angels and it may come down to Big Pete signing off on the deal. Deal will include Woods if it happens with LA.

If we trade Tejada to the Angels and get Woods back, SG, myself and quite a few others will likely be very happy campers. :)

I say likely based on who else we would get. I try to be realistic as far as these trades go, so I imagine it would be something like this:

Angels receive Tejada and Hawkins

Orioles receive Woods, Shields and Kotchman

It would give me great joy to see that go down... we shall see.

IF this happens, what could we expect from the new Birds in '07?

IMO I think they would come to spring training to see whether they appear ready for the bigs. IF they play well and stay healthy;

Wood batting about 6th in his first big-league season

= .265/.340/.460 with 27 hr and 80 rbi and about 180 strikeouts hehehe

Kotchman ( again, if healthy) bats 3rd in his 1st full big-league season

= .290/.370/.430 with 18 hr and 80 rbi

Shields will be a solid addition to the pen as he always is.

Am I being unrealistic? Maybe, but Kotchman in paticular is someday soon going to show everyone why he was so highly touted, and we would be getting him while his value is low. Get it done FO.

Its simple...Wood, Adenhart, Kotchman, and be done with it. The Os get Tejada's replacement in Wood. A starting 1B, and another stud arm for the future. Then in the offseason the O's could package some of their surplus of young arms for a bonafide OF power bat.

Git er done FO!!

I like that even more than my trade, but I doubt they would add Adenhart to THAT package. :)

Archived