Strasburg out for up to 2 years... what we can learn from it.

glorydays

Well, Stephen Strasburg has a significant UCL tear and could be out for up to 2 years. (Link). There is a couple of comments/questions that come immediately to mind.

#1 - Was Strasburg rushed to the majors? Did he pitch too many innings this year?

#2 - According to Andy MacPhail's philosophy, you can NEVER have too much pitching. Does this confirm AM's beliefs in any way? Does it change anyone's minds who want to package some of our young pitching talent for a power hitter?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nats treated him with kid gloves. They did everything according to modern-day theory to keep him healthy. Unfortunately, pitchers get injured at what seem to be ridiculously high rates - using modern-day theories on protecting them. It's probably past time for MLB to do studies on why young pitchers continue to get serious injuries.

Well, Stephen Strasburg has a significant UCL tear and could be out for up to 2 years. (Link). There is a couple of comments/questions that come immediately to mind.

#1 - Was Strasburg rushed to the majors? Did he pitch too many innings this year?

#2 - According to Andy MacPhail's philosophy, you can NEVER have too much pitching. Does this confirm AM's beliefs in any way? Does it change anyone's minds who want to package some of our young pitching talent for a power hitter?

Strasburg should have never have been the pick of the Nationals. He was far too much of an injury risk to be drafted with the #1 overall pick consdering what that franchise needed.

As for MacPhail's philosophy, yes you need pitching, but as Strasburg has shown, top hitters are a much safer bet than pitchers. Pitching should be drafted in the lower rounds unless a top hitting prospect isn't available otherwise you could have this same situation. You only have so many first round picks, and they are supposed to be used for difference making talent that will be able to help your club for a long period of time, especially when you are a club like the Orioles that depends on the draft for difference making talent.

Whenever you have the chance to take a top pitcher or top position player prospect and they are ranked almost equal with everything including injury risk taken into consideration - you take the hitter every time.

And if anything, it also shows it's better to trade a pitching prospect too soon than too late. Had the Nationals done the unthinkable and traded Strasburg, they probably would have been better off. Now obviously that was completely out of the question because of where he was taken, but it goes to show that pitchers only have a certain shelf life and for some it's shorter than others. It's best to capitalize on that value while you still can.

1. I don't think so. He had only thrown 123 innings and was on strict pitch counts all season. I don't know what else WAS could have done without being overly protective.

2. I've always been of the belief that you can't have enough pitching. One of the great things AM has done is build up the pitching depth in the minors. That way we can see who works out and who doesn't.

Also, I read where Dibble got suspended from MASN for saying that Strasburg needed to man up. What an idiot.

Strasburg should have never have been the pick of the Nationals. He was far too much of an injury risk to be drafted with the #1 overall pick consdering what that franchise needed.

As for MacPhail's philosophy, yes you need pitching, but as Strasburg has shown, top hitters are a much safer bet than pitchers. Pitching should be drafted in the lower rounds unless a top hitting prospect isn't available otherwise you could have this same situation.

Whenever you have the chance to take a top pitcher or top position player prospect and they are ranked almost equal with everything including injury risk taken into consideration - you take the hitter every time.

Well, we shall see....If he comes back from this and dominates again, like Liriano is doing, then everything will be ok.

Still, that's a lot of money to risk on a guy with a big potential of injury.

Have they? Despite already spending time of the DL, he has pitched 123 innings through the end of August - his first year in pro ball. He averaged about 6 IP per start with the Nats. Most teams who are handling a player with kids gloves try to limit his innings to about 5 per start.

Well, maybe you're smarter than every MLB team, because I guarantee you that every team would have picked him #1.

I think its easier to critique now because of whats happened. When the Nationals had the choice to make, the pros absolutely outweighed the cons.

And I was just looking on espn.com and they asked on their poll if Strasburg will ever meet his potential? I was surprised at how many people said "no". I view this as a traffic jam, it'll take longer to get where he is going, but he is still on the road.

And I think Strasburg will be different from pitchers such as Wood or Prior because they were before him so he has something to learn from.

The Nats did everything right, and this does go to show you never know what can happen to the surest of things. However, I think the problem is a human UCL probably just can't take the strain of throwing a baseball 100+ MPH.

As for MacPhail's philosophy, yes you need pitching, but as Strasburg has shown, top hitters are a much safer bet than pitchers. Pitching should be drafted in the lower rounds unless a top hitting prospect isn't available otherwise you could have this same situation. You only have so many first round picks, and they are supposed to be used for difference making talent that will be able to help your club for a long period of time, especially when you are a club like the Orioles that depends on the draft for difference making talent.

Strasburg (even if he turns out just like Prior) was EXACTLY what the Nats franchise needed. He was far and away the best player in that 2009 draft, he definitely made money and created publicity for the franchise.

Jim Callis at BA likes to say "You win with stars." Safe draft picks like a Colon or a Storen or whomever else you want to throw out there may get you to be a mediocre .500 team, but you still need stars to truly contend. I'll take the risk of acquiring them cheaply through the draft versus a $20MM per year on a veteran 32 year old player whom I consider a bigger performance risk at the tail end of the contract.

Besides, Tommy John surgery is not a death sentence. Would not be surprised to see Strasburg come back and be just as dominant. It's not like the Nats were going to contend next year anyway.

And if anything, it also shows it's better to trade a pitching prospect too soon than too late. Had the Nationals done the unthinkable and traded Strasburg, they probably would have been better off. Now obviously that was completely out of the question because of where he was taken, but it goes to show that pitchers only have a certain shelf life and for some it's shorter than others. It's best to capitalize on that value while you still can.

So if the O's had the #1 pick they shouldn't have taken Strasburg?

All I can think is that if the O's passed on Strasburg with the number 1 pick the comments would be less about injury risk and more about monetary frugality.

Who the hell should they have selected at number 1? Dustin Ackley? Donovan Tate?

Strasburg showed us this year, why he was hyped so much. He put together one of the most dominant performances ever against the Pirates, especially for a debut. He continued to shine until he got hurt, no one could have known he'd get hurt. It happens, more with pitchers than position players. But you can't go into the draft and be afraid of taking a pitcher because they might get hurt. It's not a shoulder injury so Strasburg can certainly come back, but he was the best pick all along. When he pitched this year, he confirmed that the Nats should have taken him, if he could have stayed healthy he was going to be one of the greatest pitchers of all time.

Strasburg (even if he turns out just like Prior) was EXACTLY what the Nats franchise needed. He was far and away the best player in that 2009 draft, he definitely made money and created publicity for the franchise.

Jim Callis at BA likes to say "You win with stars." Safe draft picks like a Colon or a Storen or whomever else you want to throw out there may get you to be a mediocre .500 team, but you still need stars to truly contend. I'll take the risk of acquiring them cheaply through the draft versus a $20MM per year on a veteran 32 year old player whom I consider a bigger performance risk at the tail end of the contract.

Besides, Tommy John surgery is not a death sentence. Would not be surprised to see Strasburg come back and be just as dominant. It's not like the Nats were going to contend next year anyway.

I remember I think it was Schilling's doctor that said Tommy John surgery was typically a precursor to a shoulder issue because the elbow ligament injury was actually a result of compensating for a shoulder problem such as a torn labrum.

Just look at Erik Bedard. First he has Tommy John surgery and then eventually labrum surgery. Kerry Wood has also had Tommy John and has dealt with shoulder issues. I bet you'll see Strasburg have a shoulder procedure eventually.

Who the hell should they have selected at number 1? Dustin Ackley? Donovan Tate?

Strasburg showed us this year, why he was hyped so much. He put together one of the most dominant performances ever against the Pirates, especially for a debut. He continued to shine until he got hurt, no one could have known he'd get hurt. It happens, more with pitchers than position players. But you can't go into the draft and be afraid of taking a pitcher because they might get hurt. It's not a shoulder injury so Strasburg can certainly come back, but he was the best pick all along. When he pitched this year, he confirmed that the Nats should have taken him, if he could have stayed healthy he was going to be one of the greatest pitchers of all time.

Why not? For a team that is relying on the draft for talent, I'd make darn sure that the guy I am picking with all that other talent available is as close to a lock as I can get.

If you are the Yankees or Red Sox - sure you can afford to take a gamble. And maybe the Nationals could because they are willing to invest in talent in other areas, but if that were the Orioles who took Strasburg, it would be a major setback.

Archived