If You Weren't an O's Fan...

Jagwar

... which team would you likely root for?

I would have to say the Giants. I have liked watching that team, including players like Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Candy Maldonado, Dave Dravecky, Robby Thompson, Barry Bonds (yes... even Bonds).

The easy answer is "whatever team is in the city I'm from or nearby," since I would have had to be from elsewhere to not be an Orioles fan, but I don't think that's what you are looking for :P

I'll go with the slightly different "If you couldn't root for the Orioles..." angle and say the Cardinals. Great history, great fan base, and Pujols.

I'd also seriously consider the Royals, for the same first two reasons, as well as wanting to be on-board when that team with the history and fans finally turns things around.

Number 29 on my list, by the way...the Marlins (no, not the Yankees).

Back in 1991 I used to watch a lot of WCW wrestling on TBS (I was 11) so I sort of jumped on the Braves bandwagon. It was totally accidental because I simply never changed the channel and watched at least one Braves game a week. I now live 90 minutes from Atlanta and have lucked into picking up where I left off. The Braves should at the very least make the playoffs this season. I think I get to go to the last home game of the regular season.

I guess the Pirates I know it sounds weird being they beat us in two world series heartbreakers. My family was from Pittsburgh before they moved down here. My grandmother grew up near what became Three Rivers Stadium and family lore says that my great grandfather was a good friend of Honus Wagner's. If not them then maybe the Cardinals. Great baseball town, fans, and history. Plus I love Pujols and Musial is one of my favorite all time players. Can't get in to the Nats no matter how hard my relatives try though I am disappointed that I will have to wait to at least 2012 to see Strausberg pitch live.

I have thought about this before if the O's ever left. My answer would be the closest team, but since I despise anything that deals with Washington D.C. ,except for the Caps, I just couldn't root for the Nats. My answer is the Cubs and it's not even close. I have family out there and the first time I went to Wrigley when I was real young I fell in love with the place and the atmosphere. Ever since then I they have always been my second favorite team and would become my #1 if the the O's ever left Baltimore. Besides Wrigley, they have a rich history and Chicago is just a great city.

I'm of the opinion that you can have your all time favorite team but it's also OK to have a favorite team from the other league.

Growing up in Annapolis, naturally, the Orioles will always be my all time favorite team.

I moved to Phoenix in 2001, so it was very easy to adopt the Diamondbacks as my favorite NL team, especially after they beat the Yanks in the series that year.

However, when the O's play the Dbacks in inter-league games or maybe the World Series some day:pray:, I root for the O's, no question. (For the All-Star Game next year, I'll probably wear my O's jersey with Dbacks tshirt underneath.)

So, to answer your question, which I can only see happening if the O's moved out of Baltimore, I'd pick the Dbacks as my number one, and I don't know, maybe the Angels as favorite AL, just because they're the closest out here.

As a kid, I rooted for the Orioles and whoever my favorite non-Oriole player was suiting up for.

When I lived in NYC for a decade, I rooted for the Orioles and Mets.

Now that I'm back in the DMV area, I'm an Orioles fan that also roots for the Nats.

Archived