Hobgood's best outing in ages

Frobby

Personally, I'd like to see him start next season with Delmarva in hopes of a mid-season promotion to Frederick. I think it would serve him well to get some confidence back with a few strong outings after a shaky full first season full of injuries, hype, scrutiny, you name it.

He may go one more time, that's debatable, this season, but if tonight was his last appearance for 2010, I applaud him. It's at the bare minimum a nice way to close out the month with five good innings and a ton of groundballs.

Personally, I'd like to see him start next season with Delmarva in hopes of a mid-season promotion to Frederick. I think it would serve him well to get some confidence back with a few strong outings after a shaky full first season full of injuries, hype, scrutiny, you name it.

He may go one more time, that's debatable, this season, but if tonight was his last appearance for 2010, I applaud him. It's at the bare minimum a nice way to close out the month with five good innings and a ton of groundballs.

Agree completely. Once he shows he can dominate Delmarva, then he should get his promotion. So far he hasn't been able to experience success at the professional level, and it could be great for him to start at Delmarva with a clean slate and have some success in that league.

In my perfect world, he has an excellent off season where we get reports about his work ethic and physical conditioning. He then begins in Delmarva, has success there, and earns himself a promotion to Frederick sometime around midseason. He finishes the year in Frederick very strongly, possibly making him a candidate to begin 2012 in Bowie.

One can dream, right? ;)

I'm expecting Hobgood, Beal, and Bundy all to start next year in Frederick's rotation. Hobgood's first season was better than most think. He certainly held his own.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571784

As for it being his best start in ages, he's only been back for 3 starts since coming back from his injury. His first start was a solid 3 inning appearnce where he walked 2 and struck out four. His second was a decent 4 inning appearnce and now, this one. He hasn't been as bad as people think.

He certainly hasn't been awful, but he similarly hasn't done anything to show he was worth of the #5 overall pick.

He's young and all that, but he needs to have a strong year next season, and show that he's physically where he was before the draft in terms of velocity. Continue getting those groundballs and he doesn't have to be a high strikeout guy, but he's not going to get away with only throw 86 mph. Hopefully the velocity gets back into the low 90s.

Well next year will be the tell all tale to find out what kind of prospect Hobgood will be, now do we promote him to Frederick or keep him in Delmarva?

John Stockstill seems much more aggressive in promoting guys so I would imagine Hobgood will start 2011 in Frederick.

I'm expecting Hobgood, Beal, and Bundy all to start next year in Frederick's rotation. Hobgood's first season was better than most think. He certainly held his own.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571784

As for it being his best start in ages, he's only been back for 3 starts since coming back from his injury. His first start was a solid 3 inning appearnce where he walked 2 and struck out four. His second was a decent 4 inning appearnce and now, this one. He hasn't been as bad as people think.

I agree with you. I recognize that injuries kind of derailed most of the second half of the season for Hobgood. The fact remains that this was his best start in a long time.

As to the future, I wholeheartedly agree that Hobgood has done enough to earn a promotion to Frederick for 2011. I do think that he needs to get much more serious about his conditioning this winter. Color me pretty optimistic for Hobgood next season, but he has some work to do before then.

The key is clearly going to be--can he regain his velocity? Hopefully he works hard this offseason and can do that. I am encouraged by the number of ground balls he gets, now if only he can start missing some bats...

I talked to a scout from outside the organizations that saw him 92-94 earlier this month or late last month. That was good to hear.

Showalter will have his footprint on this entire organization from top to bottom. Enough said.

I hope you're right. I've heard from a variety of sources, plus my own observations, that in general the scouting and player development has been sub-par for years. To me it's a good sign that Showalter went to Aberdeen on his day off to check out the scene and players, staying for a full nine innings of a game the Ironbirds were out of early. I hope he does bring in some better people in scouting and player development. Not to say there's no talent there now.

I talked to a scout from outside the organizations that saw him 92-94 earlier this month or late last month. That was good to hear.

The Stadium radar gun had him at 90 -91 most of the time. However, he seemed to be throwing more easily and he looked good on the mound. I think he will be in great shape in the spring and warrant moving up to Frederick.

Archived