Terps vs Navy, M&T Bank Stadium

Tony-OH

First off this was a great game to watch and I'm glad MD pulled it out. Now some points:

7) Yelling, "You Suck" while the Navy Brigade marched on the field is pretty classless. I've had my concerns with the students section of Maryland (mainly at basketball games) but seriously, yelling you suck at the men and women as they marched onto the field? Yikes. Almost made me want to turn my shirt inside out. If you want to yell that stuff during the game at the players, I guess that's ok, but at the Navy Brigade while they marched on the field pregame? Whoever leads that crap needs a reality check.

I told you that was going to happen. Stupid freshman/social football fans get really drunk and have no idea what they're saying or who they're saying it to.

I nearly got in a fight with a guy while in the line to get a drink. As a navy student in dress whites walked by he yelled "you suck, @sshole". I promply told him how big of a jerk he was an how he couldn't be more disrespectful to someone who is going to serve the country. He was drunk and didn't like that too much. I had to get out of there quickly.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7) Yelling, "You Suck" while the Navy Brigade marched on the field is pretty classless. I've had my concerns with the students section of Maryland (mainly at basketball games) but seriously, yelling you suck at the men and women as they marched onto the field? Yikes. Almost made me want to turn my shirt inside out. If you want to yell that stuff during the game at the players, I guess that's ok, but at the Navy Brigade while they marched on the field pregame? Whoever leads that crap needs a reality check.

This chant is the worse in college sports. It is classless and I hope the new AD does something to address this right away. Maryland is better then this. They chant this at Northwest podunk U and it is terrible. To chant this at the Naval Academy is just embarassing. How do you explain this to your kid that you bring to a football/basketball game?

First off this was a great game to watch and I'm glad MD pulled it out. Now some points:

1) Dobbs is the reason Navy lost. His two fumbles and his insistance on calling his own number close to the goal line cost him. If he sepnt more time trying to win the ball game then keep his name in the highlights Navy would have been more successful in the red Zone and MD would have lost this by two TDs.

2) Robinson can really run, but Lord almighty he can't throw. He looks totally lost reading the defense and will basically pull it down and run with it after about three seconds in the pocket. They should really try rolling him out a bit more and see if that helps.

3) Navy's offense was fun to watch, even from a MD fan's perspective but lor almighty I don't know how you run up the middle for 19 yards on a 3rd and 18.

4) What in the world was Fridge thinking when I put the Freshman in after the big punt return to the Navy 20? I could understand putting him in if they were on their own 20, but why not let Robinson and comapny try and run for those last 20 yards? It appears they had made up their mind to put O'Brien in the game regardless of the situation.

5) The play by Moten may be one the great Maryland plays of all time. To launch himself over the line and onto Dobs' back and cause a fumble is pretty special.

6) Why were the MD safeties playing so deep all the time? Were they really worried about their corners getting beat deep against Navy's WRs? Navy could throw down the middle of the field but I don't think Dobbs is going to connect on too many go routes.

8) Tell you what, my youngest son who is 14 went to the game and he wore his Maryland stuff as well. But he said, "That white sure does look good," after he saw some midshipmen walked by. Yes son, yes it does. It was tough to root against Navy today and luckily that will be the last time this year (although I have a hard time rooting for them against Army) I'll root against them. If they limit the turnovers and Dobbs stops calling his own number everytime they are inside the 8 yard line they are going to have some success this year, no doubt.

9) Maryland's defense came to play today and although Navy took it to them at times, they really played well in the red zone. The running game between Scott, Meggett and Robinson makes the Terps a strong play, but this team needs to get ahead early because it's not going to light up the scoreboard quickly with it's one-sided offense.

I agree with essentially everything here (try not to pass out ;)).

Especially that Moten play. My goodness that was beautiful.

Also, to everyone that wanted to see Maryland go back to a more option-style offense like earlier in Friedgen's tenure: I think we're going all option until Robinson or O'Brien (who I bet we see for at least half of next week's game) show some competence as a passer, so enjoy :laughlol:

1) Dobbs is the reason Navy lost. His two fumbles and his insistance on calling his own number close to the goal line cost him. If he sepnt more time trying to win the ball game then keep his name in the highlights Navy would have been more successful in the red Zone and MD would have lost this by two TDs.

I don't have a problem with what Dobbs did for the most part. He's their playmaker, so it's up to him to make it happen. He didn't do it today, and some of the credit should go to MD's defense for that.

2) Robinson can really run, but Lord almighty he can't throw. He looks totally lost reading the defense and will basically pull it down and run with it after about three seconds in the pocket. They should really try rolling him out a bit more and see if that helps.

Totally agree. They should just run Navy's option offense with Robinson in there. I had hoped that he would improve his throwing accuracy from what I saw last season. But...no.

5) The play by Moten may be one the great Maryland plays of all time. To launch himself over the line and onto Dobs' back and cause a fumble is pretty special.

Ranks pretty close to Leroy Ambush's hit on TA McClendon at NCSt in 2003 to set up a chance for Nick Novak to redeem himself after missing an extra point that would have tied the game. Nick did it and the Terps won.

7) Yelling, "You Suck" while the Navy Brigade marched on the field is pretty classless.

Every single person who did that ought to have to spend 6 months swabbing their own puke off the deck of an aircraft carrier in heavy seas.

8) Tell you what, my youngest son who is 14 went to the game and he wore his Maryland stuff as well. But he said, "That white sure does look good," after he saw some midshipmen walked by.

Aren't you an Army guy? Ouch! :)

8) Tell you what, my youngest son who is 14 went to the game and he wore his Maryland stuff as well. But he said, "That white sure does look good," after he saw some midshipmen walked by. Yes son, yes it does. It was tough to root against Navy today and luckily that will be the last time this year (although I have a hard time rooting for them against Army) I'll root against them.

Nail on the head Tony. I'm pretty loud at games I attend and always have a choice nugget for opposing players, but the Academies aren't just another opponent. Show some damn respect.

I was a Boatswain's Mate in the USN so I was obviously pulling for the Midshipmen today. I didn't always like the officers I worked under but most of them I respected. If I had to do it all over again I would have done my damnedest to get into Annapolis.

I had to laugh when I heard the Maryland fan section doing the usual stuff, because I fully expected it and didn't disappoint. I told my mom that they could do it anytime, but not against Navy. It was not necessary for them to do that, but I unfortunately expected nothing less.

On a more honorable note, is there anything more classy than the midshipmen walking, turning in unison to the opposing fan section, and cheering them on? Pure class, and absolutely beautiful to watch. I honestly got a lump in my throat watching that.

I don't have a problem with what Dobbs did for the most part. He's their playmaker' date=' so it's up to him to make it happen. He didn't do it today, and some of the credit should go to MD's defense for that.[/quote']

I understand that, and Dobbs is a good player, but even I was telling my son that every time he got close to the end zone he was going to call his own number. I think MD defense knew that as well and keyed on him. I agree that MD's D deserves some credit though.

Aren't you an Army guy? Ouch! :)

I am, but the Naval Academy is right down the street and I'm hoping my son, who happens to be a pretty good wrestler who is starting his freshman year at Archbishop Spalding, takes an interest in going there.

I had to laugh when I heard the Maryland fan section doing the usual stuff, because I fully expected it and didn't disappoint. I told my mom that they could do it anytime, but not against Navy. It was not necessary for them to do that, but I unfortunately expected nothing less.

On a more honorable note, is there anything more classy than the midshipmen walking, turning in unison to the opposing fan section, and cheering them on? Pure class, and absolutely beautiful to watch. I honestly got a lump in my throat watching that.

Everything they did was classy. I rooted for MD to win the game, but clearly I felt a bit bad for Navy. They are a classy group and they'll win a lot of football games this year. It's ashamed they had to endure the "You suck" stuff, but what do you expect from Terp student section.

Honestly, I'm glad my son saw this game and witnessed everything. I have no idea whether he will be good enough to go to either school. but I wanted him to see the class difference between the two and he got to witness it first hand.

I agree with a previous poster that hopes the new AD will reign in the classless actions that the student section is known for. Yow was too weak to do anything about it, so hopefully a guy coming from Army will instill a little self respect that comes with showing that same kind of respect towards your opponents, especially one that will be serving your country in the future.

Well I'll eat crow, I thought Navy would win this one. Turnovers really did them in. Entertaining game and seemed to be alot of energy in the crowd, these teams need to play more often.

I agree, this was one of the best CF games i've been to, great energetic crowd today, especially for a "neutral" site game. I'll tell you what though, I would have loved to be at that VaTech/Boise game last night, wow!!!

Navy would have won if Niumatalolo got out of his own way. Unbelievable that he didn't go for the FG there. They had all the momentum in the world and we had no answer for their option. I think it's pretty clear that Navy would have pulled out the win if the game had gone to OT.

I understand that, and Dobbs is a good player, but even I was telling my son that every time he got close to the end zone he was going to call his own number. I think MD defense knew that as well and keyed on him. I agree that MD's D deserves some credit though.

I am, but the Naval Academy is right down the street and I'm hoping my son, who happens to be a pretty good wrestler who is starting his freshman year at Archbishop Spalding, takes an interest in going there.

Since you were at the game, I'm sure you didn't hear the postgame interview on the field immediately after with Fridge, but he said that during the timeout before that final play the UM coaches pretty much told the players exactly what was coming....that Navy would run left after having run to the right for pretty much the whole 4th quarter, and that Dobbs would keep it (he's right handed, so it is a tougher pitch to make going left). The replays indicate that if Dobbs had made the pitch, the Navy back had one Terps defender between him and the endzone and probably would have beat him to the corner. Good job by the Terps coaches there to recognize that tendency.

Since you were at the game' date=' I'm sure you didn't hear the postgame interview on the field immediately after with Fridge, but he said that during the timeout before that final play the UM coaches pretty much told the players exactly what was coming....that Navy would run left after having run to the right for pretty much the whole 4th quarter, and that Dobbs would keep it (he's right handed, so it is a tougher pitch to make going left). The replays indicate that if Dobbs had made the pitch, the Navy back had one Terps defender between him and the endzone and probably would have beat him to the corner. Good job by the Terps coaches there to recognize that tendency.[/quote']

Great, thanks for the post game interview thoughts by Fridge. Definitely good coaching then by the Terps staff. Either way though, Dobbs has to learn to use his entire team especially when he had to know that the Terps were going to play the sneak and key on him.

Archived