Buck's Worst Move

Mackus

Lugo as the runner and Paterson laying down a really nice bunt. At that point I was starting to get goose bumps. Maybe a different decision would have worked out better but watching these guys put the tying runs in scoring position with one out in the ninth against Papelbon was exciting and much much better than we would have seen in past seasons. Even last night we slapped Lester around like a stepchild.

It's been a long time since this team kept me on the edge of my seat in September.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a thought... if Wigginton makes the play to get the DP and the score it 5-4... Does Buck PH for Izturis?

I don't think so. Izzy is obviously an awful hitter, but the dude can make some contact, certainly more than Fox. Maybe we even squeeze in that situation.

Are you kidding me? You think one at bat is going to affect any decision? I doubt it.

Maybe it could. Buck is new with these guys and I doubt his mind is made up.

Like I just said, the last time Buck let Izturis bat in the 9nth, Izturis WON THE GAME. So why wouldn't Buck let him try again?

Lugo as the runner and Paterson laying down a really nice bunt. At that point I was starting to get goose bumps. Maybe a different decision would have worked out better but watching these guys put the tying runs in scoring position with one out in the ninth against Papelbon was exciting and much much better than we would have seen in past seasons. Even last night we slapped Lester around like a stepchild.

It's been a long time since this team kept me on the edge of my seat in September.

Absolutely. I was pacing in my room, trying not to pick something up I would regret throwing at the wall.

I don't think so. Izzy is obviously an awful hitter, but the dude can make some contact, certainly more than Fox. Maybe we even squeeze in that situation.

I still say this was a Buck going with his gut moment and it failed. You always look bad in that, but if your percentages of gut plays is over 50%, then you go with your gut. Be nice for him to just say that, but that is a little too much to expect.

I still say this was a Buck going with his gut moment and it failed. You always look bad in that, but if your percentages of gut plays is over 50%, then you go with your gut. Be nice for him to just say that, but that is a little too much to expect.

Yeah, I kind of agree. I was really worried Buck would leave him in thinking 'Cesar has a knack for clutch hits' or something. It was the wrong choice, but Buck will makes the right call more often than not. It's taken him a full month for him to get blasted over something game-management related. That's pretty impressive.

It's simple. We've lost a couple in a row. Whenever that happens, he shows up looking for attention spouting crazy stuff. The funniest part to me is that, as crazy as this "proving something" theory is, it doesn't even rank in the pantheon of insanity he has previously spouted. The guy brings down the level of discourse of the whole board. This is standard fare. The guy is looney tunes. Honestly, truly pathologically looney tunes.

Hey man.. I appreciate your input.. I do, I love seeing what you say on the board. Heck, when I saw you posted I immediately wanted to see your response to the topic of Buck's decision...

But you going and talking about Trea... when he's been very mild in this topic is kinda... disconcerting I guess.

We've pretty much stayed on topic with the Buck decision and he's only had a few posts.. a few pages back.

Just seems like you have a bit of a vendetta. And you're better than that man. I really like reading <b>most</b> of your posts. You can be pretty insightful.

When it stays on the actual topic, that is.

Here is the proof. I don't blame Buck for leaving Izturis in tonight.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=11338052

Cesar Izturis singled in the winning run in the ninth inning and the Baltimore Orioles remained unbeaten under new manager Buck Showalter, defeating the Los Angeles Angels 5-4 Thursday night for a three-game sweep.

Since Showalter made his debut Tuesday, Baltimore has won three in a row and scored 20 runs. Before his arrival, the Orioles had lost 14 of 17 and were averaging 2.77 runs per game — second-lowest in the AL.

Matt Wieters led off the ninth with a double off Francisco Rodriguez (0-3). After pinch-runner Julio Lugo took third on a bunt by Corey Patterson, the Angels packed the drawn-up infield with six players.

Izturis then lined a single up the middle, sparking a wild celebration by the Orioles around first base.

Nick Markakis homered and drove in two runs for the Orioles, who earned their first three-game sweep of the Angels since September 1999. Baltimore is 3-0 against Los Angeles this season after going 2-8 last year.

Jason Berken (3-2) got the win despite giving up a three-run, game-tying homer to Torii Hunter in the eighth.

Los Angeles has lost 11 of 14 and is 3-14 in their last 17 road games.

Orioles starter Jake Arrieta allowed two runs and four hits in 7 2-3 innings. He was lifted in the eighth after second baseman Brian Roberts fumbled a potential double-play ball, getting the force at second but leaving runners at the corners with two outs and Baltimore up 4-0.

Mike Gonzalez came in and yielded an RBI single to Bobby Abreu. Showalter then summoned Berken, who gave up Hunter's shot to left.

Los Angeles starter Dan Haren gave up four runs and 10 hits in 6 1-3 innings. He left with the score 4-0, but avoided his third loss in three starts since coming to the Angels in a July 25 trade with Arizona.

The game was scoreless until Markakis led off the sixth inning with his eighth home run, a drive to right on a 1-1 pitch. Adam Jones followed with a two-out double, then scored on a single by Felix Pie.

Like I just said, the last time Buck let Izturis bat in the 9nth, Izturis WON THE GAME. So why wouldn't Buck let him try again?

Well, for one thing, Izturis is in a terrible slump. Since July 20 he's hitting .184/.209/.208. Since the day of his game winning RBI (August 5, which was 4 weeks ago), he's hitting .184/.195/.211. That's beyond awful. And those numbers don't include the 0 for 3 Izturis had tonight going into the 9th inning.

Guys, I was bummed that Izturis hit too, but we need to be honest about the situation.

First, Patterson can't swing the bat. Buck said that before the game.

Papelbon is on the mound. Righties hit 156 of him this year. Lefties 222. So you have to take that into account.

Fox is a righty and would have been helpless against the slider IMO.

Same story with Lugo (if he didn't pinch run).

Andino is also a righty, but I would have thought about giving him a shot. He hits breaking balls pretty well from what I recall.

Tatum is a righty.

Snyder is a righty and has never had a ML AB.

Jones is hurt.

I would have been fine with Andino or Tatum, but I don't actually think they would have been better choices since they're right handed and Papelbon was out there. They're better hitters but hitting from the wrong side so the offset makes it a closer call. We just had crappy options there since some guys are hurt.

Sad but true.

Sigh...

Ok, I'm over it. When's the next game?

Guys, I was bummed that Izturis hit too, but we need to be honest about the situation.

Papelbon is on the mound. Righties hit 156 of him this year. Lefties 222. So you have to take that into account.

Andino is also a righty, but I would have thought about giving him a shot. He hits breaking balls pretty well from what I recall.

Tatum is a righty.

Jones is hurt.

I would have been fine with Andino or Tatum, but I don't actually think they would have been better choices since they're right handed and Papelbon was out there. They're better hitters but hitting from the wrong side so the offset makes it a closer call. We just had crappy options there since some guys are hurt.

Jeremy Guthrie was available.

Tatum is a righty.

Jones is hurt.

Yeah, I would have bat Tatum, but you're right. Chances are they all suck. Let's get the Rays tomorrow.

Letting Izturis bat was certainly terrible, but to me, the worst decision of that inning was the sacrifice bunt.

I'm really surprised how many people were OK with the bunt. To me, it's an indefensible decision.

The O's were down by two runs. They had only three outs left to work with. You absolutely cannot give up one of those outs in that situation. The out is much more valuable in that situation than advancing the baserunners.

The stats bear out that when you bunt, you're slightly more likely to score one run-- but less likely to score multiple runs. If the O's had been down by one run, bunting would be a defensible move. But down by two...no way.

Then you add in the fact that the two worst hitters in the lineup were up next, and the bunt there just makes no sense. The O's would've been much better served by letting Reimold bat for himself with two on and none out.

We needed another thread for this? The point was made by you in the other one. It's a bad point, because has hit about .180 since that day a month ago when he got that one hit. The better answer was the one given by vatech1994 -- the other options all sucked, too.

Archived