Next year, Delmarva is.....

QBsILLEST1

I don't recall hearing that, in fact, I wouldn't even conclude that by looking at our rotation candidates. We had Arrieta and Britton in the upper minors and that was it, I don't know who said that or why they would have, but I then and now would strongly disagree.

And I don't quite get your last statement......

Erbe was pretty highly regarded going into the season. I think we were hopeful about Patton and Spoone. And a few people were high on Steve Johnson. But I'd agree, nobody should have thought we had great staffs in Norfolk and Bowie.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taillon is gonna be going to the Sally league? I doubt he remains there very long......

I'd imagine he'll be there for at least 1/2 a year, and most likely the full year (controlling his innings pitched). None of Matzek/Wheeler/Miller pitched above LoA this year. Turner was sent to the FSL for his last 65 IP or so, but the Tigers are well known for moving arms quickly.

PIT started all of their 2009 big HS arms in the Gulf Coast and promoted many to NY-Penn. I would be surprised if they skipped over rookie and LoA ball completely for Taillon -- they tend to be conservative.

So, to be fair, some of the HS arms (probably not Taillon and Allie) will be starting in the Gulf Coast. But, that also means Von Rosenberg, Colton Cain, Dodson, Trent Stevensen and Pounders could be in the Sally at West Virginia.

I'd imagine he'll be there for at least 1/2 a year, and most likely the full year (controlling his innings pitched). None of Matzek/Wheeler/Miller pitched above LoA this year. Turner was sent to the FSL for his last 65 IP or so, but the Tigers are well known for moving arms quickly.

PIT started all of their 2009 big HS arms in the Gulf Coast and promoted many to NY-Penn. I would be surprised if they skipped over rookie and LoA ball completely for Taillon -- they tend to be conservative.

So, to be fair, some of the HS arms (probably not Taillon and Allie) will be starting in the Gulf Coast. But, that also means Von Rosenberg, Colton Cain, Dodson, Trent Stevensen and Pounders could be in the Sally at West Virginia.

Pirates had a ridiculous draft in 10. They got the 2 highest ceiling HS arms available, one that you'd consider high probability and one that you'd consider low probability, but if by chance both hit on their ceilings, they have one of the best 1-2 punches in the MLB. Of course, Allie more than likely becomes a force out of the pen.

Regardless of what they have, I still like the collection of talent we have down there on this team. They have some good quality, but we have some quality and quantity(depth), not saying the Pirates don't, but I will be excited to follow our guys down there on the same team......

Pirates had a ridiculous draft in 10. They got the 2 highest ceiling HS arms available, one that you'd consider high probability and one that you'd consider low probability, but if by chance both hit on their ceilings, they have one of the best 1-2 punches in the MLB. Of course, Allie more than likely becomes a force out of the pen.

Regardless of what they have, I still like the collection of talent we have down there on this team. They have some good quality, but we have some quality and quantity(depth), not saying the Pirates don't, but I will be excited to follow our guys down there on the same team......

Based on Jordan's drafting strategy the last couple of years (and if it remains the same moving forward), Delmarva should be a level full of talent for BAL. Hopefully O's fans will have a lot to enjoy there starting next year.

The low minors teams were awful this season; why should Delmarva be that good next year? While that list of players includes a lot of high draft picks from the past couple of years, what have most of them really done? Most of those pitchers have been hurt, and done next to nothing.Hobgood's done little of note in 2 years. Hopefully they stay healthy next year and the Orioles can draw a bead on how good they are.

Givens and Machado have looked good in their limited time, but that's only two. Smart move sliding Givens to second.

Machado

Narron

Givens

Wirsch

Bridwell

Coffey

Henry?

Hobgood?

Schrader

Tolliver

T. Berry

Vader?

Sawyer?

Webb

Erbe was pretty highly regarded going into the season. I think we were hopeful about Patton and Spoone. And a few people were high on Steve Johnson. But I'd agree, nobody should have thought we had great staffs in Norfolk and Bowie.[/quote

Really? On opening day Norfolk featured 2 top 50 prospects in Tillman and Arrieta as well as Erbe who was coming off a strong year and Patton who folks thought might bounce back in his 2nd year after surgery. I could certainly dig through threads and find a bunch that were excited as well as ones geeked abut AA with Britton, Spoone etc.

My point is only that it's nice to have some promising names but we also must realize that we need big numbers since a fair share will inevitably not pan out and this is even more true when we start talking about prospects all the way down to low A ball.

Watch out for the small sample size when you dismiss Wirsch's GCL performance. He had one REALLY bad game (like 6 ER or something) in the GCL and otherwise was pretty good.

I'd also imagine Henry would be in the rotation over Tolliver, back to the original point of the thread.

Henry's injury was just some excess scar tissue in his elbow, nothing too serious IIRC.

Wirsch's walk rate is a little troubling, but really aside from that one outing he ranged from okay to very good in the GCL (his ERA would have been in the 2 range without 8/19). Really judging anything off his GCL stats is a bad idea, and I agree he definitely has rough edges, but the picture is a little brighter than his stats may indicate.

• 4 months later...

starting lineup - position guys:

1. Mummey cf

2. -

3. Machado ss

4. Anderson dh

5. Flacco 1b

6. Schultz lf

7. Planata rf

8. Kyle Moore ca *

9. Rosa 3b *

bench:

Dallas

Stampone *

starting rotation:

1. Beal *

2. Bundy *

3. Copeland

4. Haughian *

5. Adelman

bullpen:

Brian Parker closer *

Mazur *

Laundry *

Phelps *

Kantakevitch *

Mattaliano *

The above Delmarva projected lineup is from mlbdepthcharts.com. That site also has the projected lineups for the other Orioles full season affiliates. If I were betting I'm thinking the guys I astericked won't be at Salisbury on opening day. The Hangout depth charts should come out in the next few weeks and give us a more accurate projection on what 2011 holds. Still, I enjoy other opinions like mlbdepthcharts.com on who will be Shorebirds in 2011.

That lineup could be close. Of course, Givens is most likely at 2B and in that #2 spot in the lineup. Also, you have to figure either Dalles or Ohlman is catching or the combination of the two. I can't imangine both Bundy and Beal returning to Delmarva. Seems like a natural progression to Frederick for both. I could also see Glynn Davis and/or Brendan Webb cracking the outfield in place of Planeta.

I suspect Wirsch and Jarret Martin have a good shot of getting rotation slots as well. I suspect Copeland and Adelman will be the veteran innings eaters on the staff.

As for the bullpen, I suspect we'll see some of Ashur Tolliver, Ryan Palsha, Randy Henry, Matt Drummond, Kevin Landry, Clayton Schrader, and maybe Kenny Wise, depending on the health of a few.

Big question for me is if Schoop goes to Delmarva to play 3B with Rosa moving up to SS for Frederick or they go vice versa.

You could see Tim Berry in there as well....Is Klein expected to go straight to Fredrick?

I'd like to see Bridwell at DelMarva.

Not sure how good the team will be from a W-L perspective, but there will be a good amount of talent there - perhaps more positional talent than in a long, long time. We've been expecting strong pitching staffs in DelMarva for a few years and have generally been disappointed, IMO.

Good question. I think talent wise, most consider Klein ready for Frederick. However, we said the same thing about Ryan Berry last year. They also may want to ease him in against easier competition as he builds his innings up. Could go either way. I haven't read anything from Stockstill that would lead me to believe one way or the other. I just think Klein and Bywater both have a chance to start at Frederick since they are both supposed to be advanced type pitchers with good secondary stuff.

Without knowing specifics, I would start Klein out in the bullpen at Frederick to let him build his innings up so another pitcher could have that spot in Delmarva.

Certainly possible, but the O's haven't started many HS pitchers at Delmarva for their first year. I can only think of Hobgood, although I'm sure there are others.

Wirsch would have started in Delmarva last year if not for the injury apparently. I could certainly see Bridwell up here, but I think it will depend on how he looks this spring. He isn't a polished arm like Wirsch, but his stuff(fastball mainly) is better than Hobgood's was when he started in Delmarva in his first full year.....

starting lineup - position guys:

1. Mummey cf

2. -

3. Machado ss

4. Anderson dh

5. Flacco 1b

6. Schultz lf

7. Planata rf

8. Kyle Moore ca *

9. Rosa 3b *

bench:

Dallas

Stampone *

starting rotation:

1. Beal *

2. Bundy *

3. Copeland

4. Haughian *

5. Adelman

bullpen:

Brian Parker closer *

Mazur *

Laundry *

Phelps *

Kantakevitch *

Mattaliano *

The above Delmarva projected lineup is from mlbdepthcharts.com. That site also has the projected lineups for the other Orioles full season affiliates. If I were betting I'm thinking the guys I astericked won't be at Salisbury on opening day. The Hangout depth charts should come out in the next few weeks and give us a more accurate projection on what 2011 holds. Still, I enjoy other opinions like mlbdepthcharts.com on who will be Shorebirds in 2011.

Brian Parker was released yesterday 1/20/11.

Archived