Interesting Hobgood article

SrMeowMeow

From the Hardball Times: link.

I didn't come away from the article feeling good about Hobgood. I'm not making any snap judgments, just giving my first gut impression, but many of his quotes rubbed me the wrong way. It seems like he has a bit of a competitive chip on his shoulder that might be getting in the way of accurate self-analysis. Trying to hit a specific weight-loss target is "lame". "Sometimes it takes a little longer for people to figure things out." "I do the same as every other pitcher." "You don't need a Johan Santana changeup."

This just doesn't seem to me like what I'd expect from a guy with a great makeup and stellar work ethic. He sounds more like he expects his natural talent to shine through without a special effort, which is not the right attitude for someone who's had such a disappointing start to his pro career.

Am I off base? I know I'm reading into it, but I came away from the article with a bad taste in my mouth and after some reflection, this is the best analysis I can make of that.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I think it's just to the point where results will speak for themselves. No issue with a less-than-stellar first year of full season ball. It's a big jump. He has a chance to come out next year and take a nice step forward, and again the year after that. He has time before he's expected to be ML ready; hopefully he makes progress each year and will eventually be a solid contributor. That's all you can really ask for.

Not an encouraging article. I don't think he's petulant, which the OP implies, but he is definitely feeling the pressure.

Job One is to get the weight under control and rediscover the body that he had when he was throwing mid-90s 14 months ago. The O's really should've been monitoring this last winter (another bobble by the development side?) but even if they don't, Hobgood needs to take responsibility for it.

Having my orange colored glasses on I took some positives away from the piece. Someone from the organization is having candid conversations with the kid. He is obviously being directed towards what he needs to be accomplished to have success. Many posts on here have failed to recognize he is a not a normal body type for a major league pitcher. His training regime will not be the same as the typical guy. He is going to have a body more like CC or David wells if he he figures it out. Many said he was fat when he shoes up this year. Well I think he did have extra body fat but more importantly he looked like he muscled up. His lower half was simply huge. Genetics make some guys have this problem. It sounds like the kid and the O's have a plan to manage this. The one comment about him doing the same things as the other pitchers is troubling a little because he may have to do some different things in order to be effective. This is not neccessarily meaning doing more because he very well may have negative results from doing alot of strength work.

He was a power hitting first baseman in high school? :scratchchinhmm:

Had the most HRs by a HS player in 2009, and was the national HS player of the year, probably as much for his hitting as his pitching. However I don't think he would have been a first-round candidate on the strength of his hitting alone.

But others here would be more knowledgeable about how his hitting graded out.

This article raises an important question on the nutrition of our prospects. It implies that we do not have a nutritionist traveling with our farm teams to prepare healthy options. We have a player in Matt Hobgood who is overweight. Now he is a 20 year old adult, and should be responsible for his own weight management, but as a professional sports team who has millions invested in the kid, it is absolutely inexcusable to not provide this sort of guidance to all of our players--major and minor league. :(

This article raises an important question on the nutrition of our prospects. It implies that we do not have a nutritionist traveling with our farm teams to prepare healthy options. We have a player in Matt Hobgood who is overweight. Now he is a 20 year old adult, and should be responsible for his own weight management, but as a professional sports team who has millions invested in the kid, it is absolutely inexcusable to not provide this sort of guidance to all of our players--major and minor league. :(

I am almost certain that no nutritionist travels with the farm teams. I wonder whether the organization even has a nutritionist on retainer to consult with the teams and players. Possibly not, though that's a short-sighted false economy.

I read the article and came away with no bad vibes about Hobgood. You can tell he is feeling the pressure that comes with 1st round pick, but to me it sounds like he knows exactly what he has to do.

And I agree with Frobby -- that was an excellent piece coming from a high school kid.

I saw an article recently suggesting that this was an issue for most minor-league clubs. The players, due to low salaries and per-diems, are essentially forced to subsist on fast- and junk-food.

Drungo often mentions that a salary cap would simply allow a club like the Yankees to throw unlimited resources into their minor-league clubs. I wonder why there isn't a team out there trying to do that now?

I saw an article recently suggesting that this was an issue for most minor-league clubs. The players, due to low salaries and per-diems, are essentially forced to subsist on fast- and junk-food.

Drungo often mentions that a salary cap would simply allow a club like the Yankees to throw unlimited resources into their minor-league clubs. I wonder why there isn't a team out there trying to do that now?

Some are, to a degree. From what I have read the pre and post game spreads are historically provided with monies gathered from the players. Less money equals inexpensive and unhealthy choices. Some teams have taken over the pre and post game spreads and are furnishing healthier choices.

Now this isn't going to make a difference on the road but the players should be able to get a couple healthy meals a day at home out of the spreads.

I would think a team nutritionist would be overkill, a roving nutritionist that covers all the minor league teams sounds like a workable idea that shouldn't be cost prohibitive.

It drives me crazy when someone says "the Orioles should do this" or the Orioles should provide that"....NO, the employee (in this case a ballplayer) should take care of seeking the proper training and instruction whether it be about his field position or his nutrition. The Orioles "hire" the players, pay them a signing bonus and then expect the player to work on his end of the contract. The off season isn't just for sitting around or hanging out with friends. It is for education and preparation for the next season so that the player is a better person physically and mentally.

As for the minor league "meals"... the players have to be smart about their choices. Even pizza delivery to a hotel can serve up and deliver a salad. There are so many healthy choices in restaurants these days (even fast food joints) that a player just has to be able to make good food choices and willing to stick to it. The ball players have to police themselves! It's their job!!

Archived