"MacPhail Wanted Buck to Take Over" (This Season)

Arthur_Bryant

Above is a direct quote from YES announcer Michael Kay on the broadcast today, apparently based on a conversation with Showalter. Said that Showalter was "51-49" on the question of whether he should take over as manager this season or wait until next year. But AM thought it was important that Showalter step in this year so as to get an extended up-close look at the players.

Quoting Kay: "And Showalter said, 'Okay, you're the boss.'"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess MacPhail must want to quit. I mean, its a known fact that Buck is here against MacPhail's wishes, and that Buck being here means MacPhail is obviously on his way out. So if MacPhail wanted him to take over sooner rather than later, that must mean he knows he is too slow and stupid to build a winner in Baltimore so he's going to quit.

FWIW, the NY Times article in the other thread says Showalter says Angelos and MacPhail urged him to begin in 2010

"...Showalter said his new bosses, Peter Angelos and Andy MacPhail, urged him to start before the end of the season. It was a canny move by the Orioles, who got their man before a slew of jobs come available. The Cubs, the Diamondbacks, the Mariners and the Marlins are using interim managers. Bobby Cox is retiring from the Braves and Cito Gaston from the Blue Jays. Several teams have managers in the final year of their contracts, including the Yankees, the Mets, the Cardinals and the Dodgers..."

Does this mean that AM was the one pushing for Buck, moreso than PA? I don't think so.

No I think it means that the myth that AM didn't want him in here and was somehow overruled is bull.

AM may have preferred Wedge, for whatever the reason. I might prefer a BMW, but I am not going to complain over a Mercedes.

No I think it means that the myth that AM didn't want him in here and was somehow overruled is bull.

AM may have preferred Wedge, for whatever the reason. I might prefer a BMW, but I am not going to complain over a Mercedes.

MacPhail could have just wanted whoever the manager was to start right away. And I doubt Andy would have overruled Angelos even if Angelos was the only one who wanted Showalter to start right away.

This info still does not prove that Showalter was MacPhail's choice, just that they wanted the new manager to start immediately.

MacPhail could have just wanted whoever the manager was to start right away. And I doubt Andy would have overruled Angelos even if Angelos was the only one who wanted Showalter to start right away.

This info still does not prove that Showalter was MacPhail's choice, just that they wanted the new manager to start immediately.

Exactly...All it proves is that whoever the choice was, AM wanted him to start immediately.

Now, that's not to say Buck wasn't his choice but it sure as hell doesn't say he was either.

My problem with this "narrative" is the fact that to some it has to be some sort of adversarial relationship.

I mean sure, AM could have preferred Wedge, PA wanted Showalter. Maybe they BOTH decided on Showalter why does it have to be one or the other?

If Angelos is overriding MacPhail on any decisions, its undoubtedly a bad thing for our future. I'd stay just shy of saying that it would doom our future, in fact. It'd be an absolutely horrible, horrible thing.

I still think MacPhail wanted Showalter. And you keep harping and blasting as if that wasn't true. As if Angelos was the perfect one, and MacPhail was the devil.

This same song and dance from you is disgusting.

If Angelos is overriding MacPhail on any decisions, its undoubtedly a bad thing for our future. I'd stay just shy of saying that it would doom our future, in fact. It'd be an absolutely horrible, horrible thing.

Agreed. But why is it completely unlikely that both of these men talked about it and decided on Showalter, even if AM preferred Wedge at one point. I mean, has no one here ever entered into a compromise with a colleague?

My problem with this "narrative" is the fact that to some it has to be some sort of adversarial relationship.

I mean sure, AM could have preferred Wedge, PA wanted Showalter. Maybe they BOTH decided on Showalter why does it have to be one or the other?

Its a big difference...If the reasoning AM didn't want Buck AS MUCH AS Wedge is because he could lose some power and things like that, then it easily could become an issue.

This is why you can't assume a new GM is in place by the end of the offseason...Who knows.

I mean seriously, if AM felt Wedge was the better guy, what intelligent reason could there be for that? Are we supposed to assume that Wedge is a better manager? More organized? Better in an interview? More respected?

It just doesn't add up unless you factor in a potential power struggle.

Archived