"MacPhail Wanted Buck to Take Over" (This Season)

Arthur_Bryant

And the assumptions that make this an interesting scenario is that MacPhail would have likely been able to control Wedge much like he did Trembley, while Showalter would offer more resistance to MacPhail's personnel decisions and want much more control over baseball operations.

MacPhail has had his puppets in the past when he's been running the show in both Chicago and Baltimore.

It's been said he prefers to operate with less staff so he can control the entire baseball operations dept easier.

Not to mention if you saw that presser that introduced Showalter, MacPhail is clearly not comfortable with Buck having this much power IMO. His body language told the story.

And MacPhail is no longer the chief spokesperson for the Orioles if you'd notice. Buck Showalter seems to be doing all the interviews with MacPhail shifting to the background.

Where this will all lead is yet to be seen...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And MacPhail is no longer the chief spokesperson for the Orioles if you'd notice. Buck Showalter seems to be doing all the interviews with MacPhail shifting to the background.

MacPhail has never been the chief spokesperson for the Orioles. It's typically been the manager. Good grief, this is such a ridiculous statement.

And the assumptions that make this an interesting scenario is that MacPhail would have likely been able to control Wedge much like he did Trembley, while Showalter would offer more resistance to MacPhail's personnel decisions and want much more control over baseball operations.

MacPhail has had his puppets in the past when he's been running the show in both Chicago and Baltimore.

It's been said he prefers to operate with less staff so he can control the entire baseball operations dept easier.

Not to mention if you saw that presser that introduced Showalter, MacPhail is clearly not comfortable with Buck having this much power IMO. His body language told the story.

I think he prefers it that way.

/facepalm

Are you kidding me?

he is getting more interviews because he is the manager, he is a big name, former ESPN guy and the team is winning. MacPhail didn't give many interviews before.

You are ridiculous.

Are you kidding me?

he is getting more interviews because he is the manager, he is a big name, former ESPN guy and the team is winning. MacPhail didn't give many interviews before.

You are ridiculous.

If Showalter is being interviewed more than MacPhail from mid-October through January, then I will think JTrea's point has some meaning. Until then, it means nothing.

On my way to the game earlier today Buck was on 660 at 10:45 and talked for about 15 minutes.

One of the questions he was asked was: Why did you accept the Orioles job when there was a lot of talk of the Mets being interested in bringing you in after the season along with other teams....

Buck gave an answer of after talking with AM he knew the Orioles job was the one he wanted because he agreed with AM's philosophy and plan for the future. He then went onto to say that he was confident PA would supply him with everything he needed to be competitive.

Sorry if this was talked about earlier in the thread, but I just got back from the game and didn't feel like reading the 5 pages. Also sorry to rain on Jtrea's parade of wanting AM out of here because Buck made it seem pretty clear that he reason he took the job was because of AM.

On my way to the game earlier today Buck was on 660 at 10:45 and talked for about 15 minutes.

One of the questions he was asked was: Why did you accept the Orioles job when there was a lot of talk of the Mets being interested in bringing you in after the season along with other teams....

Buck gave an answer of after talking with AM he knew the Orioles job was the one he wanted because he agreed with AM's philosophy and plan for the future. He then went onto to say that he was confident PA would supply him with everything he needed to be competitive.

Sorry if this was talked about earlier in the thread, but I just got back from the game and didn't feel like reading the 5 pages. Also sorry to rain on Jtrea's parade of wanting AM out of here because Buck made it seem pretty clear that he reason he took the job was because of AM.

Clearly Buck has it all wrong... he needs to come on here and some will straighten him out.

;)

Coming in the next eposide of "Lie to Me", Tim Roth's character is overmatched and finds himself in need of the services of well-known consultant JTrea. Trea appears throughout the entire episode draped in Baltimore Orioles garb.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Above is a direct quote from YES announcer Michael Kay on the broadcast today, apparently based on a conversation with Showalter. Said that Showalter was "51-49" on the question of whether he should take over as manager this season or wait until next year. But AM thought it was important that Showalter step in this year so as to get an extended up-close look at the players.

Quoting Kay: "And Showalter said, 'Okay, you're the boss.'"

All this means is after it was decided that they would hire Showalter, MacPhail wanted him to start this season instead of at the beginning of next season.

For you naysayers, if MacPhail wanted Showalter so badly, why did it take him so long to hire him when Showalter was clearly available?

Anyone else find it interesting that as soon as the team was turning into an utter disaster under Samuel, that the decision was suddenly made to hire Showalter?

What is MacPhail going to say publicly? "Oh, I really didn't want Showalter, but the owner made me hire him." Everyone is going to play nice publicly but this off season will tell us the real story.

Yah, right.

Long story short: Angelos should have zero say in anything baseball related outside of budget. If he's interfering like he has in the past, we're in for a long, hard ride.

There isn't a GM in baseball that can hire a manager without first vetting them with ownership.

b. Showalter WAS MacPhail's choice (and one of his choices to begin with)

This point is in dispute. I don't think anyone can say definitively whether it's true or not. There are rumors it is not.

Archived