Umpire tosses fan from game

Oriolidae85

How often does a fan get tossed by an umpire during a MLB game? Seems like the right thing to do if the guy was drunk and using slurs. But there is a significant difference between baseball games and football games, at least from my recent experience, when it comes to overall fan intoxication.

As an example, I would have no problem taking a child to a baseball game, but would more than likely not bring someone younger than high school to a football game. What is your take?

MILWAUKEE -- Veteran umpire Bob Davidson says he ejected a fan at Miller Park because the fan used a homophobic slur aimed at St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina.

Davidson said he decided to throw out 44-year-old Sean A. Ottow of Waukesha, Wis., in the bottom of the seventh inning Tuesday night because he wanted to make sure Molina wouldn't do something to escalate the situation. Davidson spoke Wednesday before the series finale.

"Molina, I thought he was going to go toward [the fan] and I said, 'I'll take care of it,'" said Davidson, who was the plate umpire. "I was going to wait until between innings and not be so obvious, but I figured after he said that, he was very intoxicated, I needed to take care of it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5548351

Archived