Good chance we might be dropping down the draft board

ChaosLex

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!

That's a pretty good stretch from the team with the worst record in the American League.

How much longer will the Orioles hold that distinction?

Their record currently stands at 54-87. The Seattle Mariners, a team that was championed over the winter for spending money and being so active, are 55-86.

The Kansas City Royals, who continue to be...well...the Kansas City Royals, are 57-83 and a half-game behind the Cleveland Indians in the AL Central.

The Pittsburgh Pirates, bless their hearts, are 47-93 and hell-bent on finishing with the worst record in baseball. The only time they man up is when their ineptitude is challenged.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are 57-84, but it's a dry heat.

I guess manager Buck Showalter doesn't care about that first pick in the draft. Or the second. Or the third.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/09/from-worst-to-not-worst.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

youngsters growing is better then a single draft pick. Young pitchers growing is even better. The O's have both. I love where this team is and look forward to the off-season to see if we can improve through free agents. It is good to once again be an Oriole fan.

youngsters growing is better then a single draft pick. Young pitchers growing is even better. The O's have both. I love where this team is and look forward to the off-season to see if we can improve through free agents. It is good to once again be an Oriole fan.

Well said, plus I like watching this team win. "You play to win the game"

Who freaking cares. Give me a top 5 pick, trade for a cleanup hitter, sign a few key FAs.

We'll shock the world and take the Al East.

The current "rep" we're getting as an organization influencing the free agent class FAAAAAR outweighs the spots we are dropping in the draft.

Bring on the free agents and crack open that wallet!!

How deep in pitching is the draft past the first 4 picks?

Pretty deep...its deeper than I have ever witnessed since following the draft pretty closely(07). This draft is being compared to the 06 draft by many....

You have a slew of possible TOR pitchers scattered among the top 15...

My top arms:

Cole

Purke

Jungmann

Gray

Barnes

Norris(HS)

Bauer

Bradley(HS)

Bundy(HS)

I have to admit, that as this team was doing so poorly, I was looking more at how Pittsburgh was compared to the O's and hoping that the season would at least bring a 1 or 2.

But, I also was a strong believer that to win or be a contender, the team has to come out strong to send a message to others, especially in the AL East. This team has sent the message...patsy days are over.

Another positive aspect of finishing the season strong, is that the O's may become attractive to some quality FA's. If they continue to play .600 ball or better there could be some surprises in that department.

Baltimore has waited too long to see winning....a 1 or 2 might be nice, but it is probably an indicator of more fruitless seasons. The AL East really could be a beast next year.

Agree with isestrex. It's more important to be attractive to free agents than being terrible and eligible for a high draft pick. We'll pick fourth or fifth anyway and that was good enough to get us Matusz and Wieters. I'll gladly take another player with their talent.

Archived