You're the manager... what's your call?

shorty122dude

I just happened to be watching MLB network and the Brewers/Giants game is on and an interesting situation popped up. So here it is...

Its the bottom of the fifth inning, 2-0 Brewers, there are runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out and Tim Lincecum is on deck. The giants offense is struggling. The batter before Lincecum grounds into a fielder's choice, so we have 1st and 3rd and one out with Lincecum coming up. Bruce Bochy pulls Lincecum for Nate Schierholtz, and Schierholtz draws a walk. They constantly show Lincecum in the dugout and he looks extremely dejected and is shaking his head. In the end, the Giants only come up with 1 run in that inning. So they are still down 2-1 and handing the ball over to the bullpen.

Do you do what Bochy does? Granted you're in the middle of an extremely tight playoff race and you need to spark your offense, but its only the 5th inning and you have your ace on the mound, do you really take the ball out of his hands so soon? I know I wouldn't because I feel like the next inning you'd have the heart of your order coming up against a tired starter, and your ace is still on the mound.

What would you have done?

I just happened to be watching MLB network and the Brewers/Giants game is on and an interesting situation popped up. So here it is...

Its the bottom of the fifth inning, 2-0 Brewers, there are runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out and Tim Lincecum is on deck. The giants offense is struggling. The batter before Lincecum grounds into a fielder's choice, so we have 1st and 3rd and one out with Lincecum coming up. Bruce Bochy pulls Lincecum for Nate Schierholtz, and Schierholtz draws a walk. They constantly show Lincecum in the dugout and he looks extremely dejected and is shaking his head. In the end, the Giants only come up with 1 run in that inning. So they are still down 2-1 and handing the ball over to the bullpen.

Do you do what Bochy does? Granted you're in the middle of an extremely tight playoff race and you need to spark your offense, but its only the 5th inning and you have your ace on the mound, do you really take the ball out of his hands so soon? I know I wouldn't because I feel like the next inning you'd have the heart of your order coming up against a tired starter, and your ace is still on the mound.

What would you have done?

Matt Cain is their ace.

Lincecum only had 72 pitches when he was pulled. FWIW I would have left him in. Of course it helps that the last time I saw him pitch, he went 3 for 4 with 3 RBI and beat the Dodgers 9-0. :D

Archived