Recruiting Visit Over Weekend.

tylerfrombelair

Top recruits Johnny O'Bryant and Nick Faust visited this weekend and attended the FIU football game. Fans chanted "We Want Johnny" at the end of 1st and 3rd quarters, and had pictures of him holded up. This is what he had to say on his facebook.

Johnny O'Bryant on Maryland Visit: "This visit & the fans are crazy. No visit has topped this one yet. Some people gotta step they game up."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually talked to both of them at the football game. They seemed like they were loving it here. I live right next to the whole freshman class on the basketball team and I could hear their party... they were definitely having a good time.

Getting one would be really good, getting both would be insane. A class of Faust, O'Bryant and Gibbs has the potential to be one of the best in UMD history.

I'm sure it has to do with JOB wanting to stay in the south, whether it be at MSU, or LSU. Granted none of those schools are known for basketball and aren't as prestigous as UMD when it comes to basketball either. I think UMD put a huge impression on him over the weekend so I don't know why we would have a 0% chance in landing him.

I'll never believe a guy will be a Terp until he's actually here playing games in uniform. We've had wayyyyyyy too many close calls over the past few years to get our hopes up for anyone.

Exactly, at least not higly ranked ones. It's pretty much a 4 step process at MD.

Step 1: Verbal commitment

Step 2: Sign LOI

Step 3: Start classes at MD

Step 4: Step on the court in a MD uniform

There has been way too many breakdowns at some point before Step 4 to get overly excited about Step 1.

According to a source on terrapintimes.com O'Bryant has narrowed down his choices to LSU and Maryland. Faust is basically in the bag and Antwan Space, a former commitment to Arkansas visited last week and is very high on us. This is looking like a very good 11' class for Gary.

Fwiw, Scout.com has O'Bryant as a 5 star recruit and the 6th best PF in the nation, Faust a 4 star and 13th best SG, and Space a 4 star and 17th best SF. That might not be a Duke or UNC type class, but it sounds like the kind of class Gary thrives with.

Fwiw, Scout.com has O'Bryant as a 5 star recruit and the 6th best PF in the nation, Faust a 4 star and 13th best SG, and Space a 4 star and 17th best SF. That might not be a Duke or UNC type class, but it sounds like the kind of class Gary thrives with.

I'd rank the chances of each playing at MD as...

Faust- 80%

Space- 76%

O'Bryant- 25%

A class of Gibbs, Faust and Space would be really good, but O'Bryant would really put it over the top and make it great. If that occurs, an NBA lockout would really help so that Jordan doesn't go pro after his junior year and O'Bryant after his freshman year. So in 3 seasons from now, our lineup could be absolutely incredible:

PG: Howard

SG: Faust

SF: Parker

PF: O'Bryant

C: Williams

B: Stoaglin

B: Pankey

B: Gibbs

B: Padgett

B: Palsson

B: recruit

B: recruit

That team, with a good recruit or two, would definitely be a National Championship contender, in my mind. Lots of steps before we get there though.

I'm pencilling in Jordan Williams here for 4 years - just like I did for Greivis. He's also a tweener for the NBA scouts. In his case, he's too short for center and too slow for PF to be considered a 1st rounder... unless he has an amazing senior season. :cool:

Archived