The Tenth Inning

scOtt

Ditto to most of the points already made. Way too much on the Yankees and Sox, which you knew you would get having Doris Kearns Goodwin and Mike Barnicle in it. Oh, BTW, the White Sox, who went longer between series titles than did Boston, got a passing reference.

They could have given Ripken a littler longer, Griffey Jr. also.

When talking about the explosion of the game they could have pointed to Camden Yards and the more than a dozen "retro" ballparks that followed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ditto to most of the points already made. Way too much on the Yankees and Sox, which you knew you would get having Doris Kearns Goodwin and Mike Barnicle in it. Oh, BTW, the White Sox, who went longer between series titles than did Boston, got a passing reference.

When talking about the explosion of the game they could have pointed to Camden Yards and the more than a dozen "retro" ballparks that followed.

They did. Not for very long, but they did.

I agree, Moose, it's still baseball, but we can still complain. The Bottom of the Tenth was WAAAYY too heavy with the Yanks and Red Sox! The 2001 Series wasn't about the the Dbacks winning, it was about the the Yankees losing.

I understand they had to cover the Sox winning the WS for the first time since 1918, which was just a bit overlong, but just when you think it's finally over, it goes into a 3 minute Red Sox montage over the tune of Glory Days! I was seriously starting to get nauseous at that point.

Agreed on all points, but lets be honest...the Sox/Yanks have been a focal point of baseball this past decade, like it or not. That said, I agree...way too much time spent on both.

Last night reminded me what great postseason series we've been treated to in this decade...seemed like every year there was a nail biter Championship Series or World Series.

TS, they spent some time on Camden Yards during the top of the 10th.

TS, they spent some time on Camden Yards during the top of the 10th.

And in the bottom, what are they showing during the "credits"/opening narration? Oriole Park! A view from 250 W. Pratt St., followed by a close-up where you can clearly identify the pitcher.

And I really wonder if I'm the only person who during that close-up yelled out "RICK KRIVDA!" :laughlol: :o

And in the bottom, what are they showing during the "credits"/opening narration? Oriole Park! A view from 250 W. Pratt St., followed by a close-up where you can clearly identify the pitcher.

And I really wonder if I'm the only person who during that close-up yelled out "RICK KRIVDA!" :laughlol: :o

They showed it at the end of the 10th again. I thought I'd never have to see Adam Eaton in an Orioles uniform again. Guess I was wrong.

I caught Adam Eaton also. He didn't even really fit in to the time frame they were covering did he?

I think it did, but I've done my best to erase the Adam Eaton Era from my memory. It's a blurry mess. I can't really remember when he was here...all I know is that he was here and that's enough.

I thought I read it wrong... Eaton? Can't be!

We might be talking about two different parts...it was right at the end and there was an elevated/wide angleish view...it showed Eaton throwing a pitch, a batter maybe popping out? I was too busy recoiling in horror to really retain it all.

We might be talking about two different parts...it was right at the end and there was an elevated/wide angleish view...it showed Eaton throwing a pitch, a batter maybe popping out? I was too busy recoiling in horror to really retain it all.

No, it was the same, I was just so surprised. Recognized the uniform, then the yard, and then saw the name. Why in the world would they show him???

WALPOLE, NH—Exhausted and haggard documentarian Ken Burns begged Major League Baseball to cease operations Tuesday, saying that any future games, trades, or league action would warrant further installments of the filmmaker's sprawling, now 23-hour-long documentary Baseball.

Burns' announcement came after PBS's broadcast of Baseball: The Tenth Inning, an update to the series that covers the years 1994 to the present. Addressing reporters, a gaunt and drawn Burns said that exploring the ever-evolving relationship between Americans and their national pastime was slowly killing him.

"I can't do this anymore," Burns said. "The more baseball that is played, the more I have to document. But it's futile. The documentary will never end, because in order for it to end, baseball itself would have to end. I'm always playing catch-up ball. The Tenth Inning, The Eleventh Inning, The 2,945th Inning. Christ, how many more of these things will I have to make?"

"Please—if not for my sake, then for the sake of my wife and children, please stop," Burns continued. "If you don't, I will die knowing that baseball has kept going, and that the thing I'm most famous for will be remembered as an incomplete failure."

Continued...

Archived