NYTimes: Yankees hats popular amongst criminals

JDubs

Crime Blotter Has a Regular: Yankees Caps

You have got to love this story. Apparently, Yankees hats are becoming commonly worn during criminal activity. Considering the likes of ARod, Pettite, Clemens and other 'roiders over the years, I can't say I am surprised.

Some of my favorite parts...

A curious phenomenon has emerged at the intersection of fashion, sports and crime: dozens of men and women who have robbed, beaten, stabbed and shot at their fellow New Yorkers have done so while wearing Yankees caps or clothing.
But Yankees caps and clothing have dominated the crime blotter for so long, in so many parts of the city and in so many types of offenses, that it defies an easy explanation. Criminologists, sports marketing analysts, consumer psychologists and Yankees fans have developed their own theories, with some attributing the trend to the popularity of the caps among gangsta rappers and others wondering whether criminals are identifying with the team’s aura of money, power and success.
Since 2000, more than 100 people who have been suspects or persons of interest in connection with serious crimes in New York City wore Yankees apparel at the time of the crimes or at the time of their arrest or arraignment.
“It makes us Yankees fans look like criminals, because of a few unfortunate people who probably don’t know the first thing about the Yankees.”

Actually, most Yankees fans don't know the first thing about the Yankees.

Yankees caps have even played a central role in a few crimes. One day in 2003, a fight over a missing Yankees cap broke out between two brothers in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. One brother, an ex-convict, ended up stabbing and killing the other.
One criminologist said the trend might be a result of what could be called the Jay-Z effect.

The rapper Jay-Z has worn a Yankees cap for years — on his album covers and in his videos — and has helped turn the cap into a ubiquitous fashion accessory for urban youths (“I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can,” he boasts in one song).

And Yankees caps hold a distinguished place in the annals of crime: the man who robbed more banks than anyone else in American history wore one. Edwin Chambers Dodson, known as the Yankee Bandit because he wore a Yankees cap and sunglasses during most of his holdups, robbed 72 banks in Southern California in the early 1980s and the late 1990s.

:laughlol: This just made my day!

Jay-Z blows and so does his stupid crime cap.

If by "blows" you mean "has more number one albums than any other solo artist in history" then sure, he blows. That said, I don't particularly buy him popularizing the Yankee cap.

Is this really surprising, though? Millions of people wear Yankee caps. I can walk down the street here in Richmond, Virginia and see 5 or 10 Yankee caps throughout the course of my day.

If by "blows" you mean "has more number one albums than any other solo artist in history" then sure, he blows. That said, I don't particularly buy him popularizing the Yankee cap.

Yeah because all of the musicians atop the pop charts have talent. Puhllllease! :rolleyes: I assume you have some Britney, Milli Vanilli, and NSync in your collection? As with 95% of artist out in the mainstream, there's no substance or character to this guy, zero.

I'll admit that he's marketed himself well to the corporate machine, and his early days were OK, but really only average. In the end, marketing yourself to the largest population (pop music) of lazy radio listeners is all you need to do, to sell a ton of albums. Kind of fitting that he wears a Yankees cap I guess.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a music snob. :)

Archived