NYTimes: Yankees hats popular amongst criminals

JDubs

Yeah because all of the musicians atop the pop charts have talent. Puhllllease! :rolleyes: I assume you have some Britney, Milli Vanilli, and NSync in your collection? As with 95% of artist out in the mainstream, there's no substance or character to this guy, zero.

I'll admit that he's marketed himself well to the corporate machine, and his early days were OK, but really only average. In the end, marketing yourself to the largest population (pop music) of lazy radio listeners is all you need to do, to sell a ton of albums. Kind of fitting that he wears a Yankees cap I guess.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a music snob. :)

Couldn't agree more, and with your first statement. I guess I'm a music snob too.:D

Images aren't allowed in this section.

Officer Eddie: (reading Steve Sax's license) Well well, Steve Sax, from New York City.

Officer Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City and they never solved the case. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you, Steve?

(Lou and Eddie laugh)

Steve Sax: But there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.

Officer Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you, Saxxy Boy?

Yeah because all of the musicians atop the pop charts have talent. Puhllllease! :rolleyes: I assume you have some Britney, Milli Vanilli, and NSync in your collection? As with 95% of artist out in the mainstream, there's no substance or character to this guy, zero.

I'll admit that he's marketed himself well to the corporate machine, and his early days were OK, but really only average. In the end, marketing yourself to the largest population (pop music) of lazy radio listeners is all you need to do, to sell a ton of albums. Kind of fitting that he wears a Yankees cap I guess.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a music snob. :)

Be a snob all you want. IMO, however, as little as I like his entire body of work, I don't think his talent should be put into question. The dude's pretty derned good at what he does, and one of the few crossovers that's actually worth his salt.

http://www.slate.com/id/2267670/

Let's put the Times findings in perspective. New York City has a population of more than 8 million people. According to the most recent City of New York Police Department statistics (PDF), about 2,000 crime complaints—murder, rape, robbery, felonious assault, grand larceny, grand larceny auto—are filed each week. If you were to extrapolate those numbers over 10 years, you'd be talking more than 1 million crime complaints. (Because reported crime has dropped massively in New York in recent years, the actual number of complaints would be much higher.)

Given the huge number of criminal complaints over the past 10 years, it would be a miracle if at least 100 "suspects or persons of interest in connection with serious crime" hadn't been wearing Yankee garb "at the time of the crimes or at the time of their arrest or arraignment."

I wouldn't be surprised if that many people were arrested over ten years wearing Yankees caps in Baltimore, or Detroit, or St. Louis, or any other city with significant crime.

Be a snob all you want. IMO, however, as little as I like his entire body of work, I don't think his talent should be put into question. The dude's pretty derned good at what he does, and one of the few crossovers that's actually worth his salt.

I remember when he came on the Daily Show and Jon Stewart gave him a book of all of his lyrics written down. I thought that was pretty neat.

Archived