Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

MLBTR just posted the list of Type A and B free agents. Lee is a type B. Sign him up. Let some other poor sucker give up a pick for VMart.

We should also be taking a look at Berkman.

Also on the list, Dunn was a type b. They were saying how this would help some teams out by not losing a pick, anybody know for sure if Baltimore would lose a pick or not? I am sure they will lose a second round pick, I think...

Anyhow, what about Dunn at first, say 75 to 85 games, left about 25 to 35, and then dh the rest. I know his defense is lacking, but the guy can hit. Also you do not have too trade 3or 4 players to get him. It just seems like a no-brainer.

Then they could go out and get a 3rd baseman like ARam to give the Cubs salary relief. Sign a starter that can eat some innings, and kick the tires on JB from Tampa.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3B -Trade for Dan Uggla if he's willing to extend and play 3B. This move creates a lot of roster flexibility for 3B/2B/1B and provides a power RH bat.

1B - Sign Lee - 2years. Automatically improves O's 1B production defensively and offensively.

SS & OF - trade for Reyes and Beltran, eat their final year contracts while giving up only marginal prospects and maybe Pie. $30M is a lot of money, but it is just for one year and the potential return raises the Orioles competitive level significantly. Reyes alone eliminates several significant voids for the Orioles: all-star SS/backup lead-off hitter/#2 balanced switch-hitter with speed and some pop. Will take 120 games of Beltran and his post-season 1.3 OPS if it includes Reyes. Doubt the O's would pull the trigger on this kind of move, but both players should be healthier in 2011. I would compare this kind of $30M risk to the Yankees A-Rod contract, but for just one year and much more WAR potential. If there are better long-term prospects for filling these voids cost wise...kudos. IMO, one year is better than none. Payroll would spike close to $100M, but would again drop to the $70M range with Type A/B player compensation to boot.

Imagine this lineup (or any variation of (:

Roberts 2B

Reyes SS

Markakis RF

Beltran LF/DH

Uggla 3B

Scott/Lee DH/1B

Scott/Lee DH/1B

Jones CF

Weiters C

I would sign Vmart or Adam Dunn. VMart would be my first choice. I would then look to package one of the CFers (Jones/Pie) with another player or two to get an impact player for 3rd base. In another thread, David Wright is discussed. I would send Jones, Bell and Tillman to the Mets for Wright.

Archived