Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I think it's a given that if you trade for him, you negotiate an extension before making the deal.

Why not just wait to sign him after next year?

And who is to say he will sign an extension from us?

And what would you give him?

I just don't see that deal making any sense for us...and I see no reason to think he would jump on an extension from us unless you give him stupid money. And why would the mets allow an negotiating window for an extension?

But if we trade for him, it is a guarantee he will re-sign?

If you are going to make it a priority to get him after 2011 what is the difference? Plenty of Boras clients have re-upped with the same team if offered the most money.

As I've said you trade the players for Fielder to make sure you have protection in your lineup next season to make sure your young players develop and players like Markakis rebound.

Nick had to alter his style of hitting because nobody else was getting on base. You don't want him to have to do that.

Fielder had a .400+ OBP and leads the NL in walks despite his lack of driving in runs.

We need that type of player next year, not just in 2012.

I'll try to be realistic:

-Pie/Gordon trade

-Lee/Pena for 1-year

-Any SS upgrade

I'm all for signing Beltre, Crawford, or Cliff Lee, but I don't see those happening. I'd look to sign a 1B to a 1-year deal so we can make a serious run and AGon next offseason.

Those moves wouldn't constitute a great offseason for me. I do, however, think they make us better and set us up nicely for 2011.

Why not just wait to sign him after next year?

Because there'd be 30 other teams with a chance to get him then.

And who is to say he will sign an extension from us?

That's a silly question. Who's to say anyone will do anything. If he's not willing to do it, then forget it. He'd do it to get the security of a long-term contract.

And what would you give him?

Use Furcal as a basis - since his career has gone very similarly to Furcal's. Furcal's making 12 mil now and his previous contract was 3/39. I don't think there's been much inflation. Give him a 3/40 extension.

I just don't see that deal making any sense for us...and I see no reason to think he would jump on an extension from us unless you give him stupid money. And why would the mets allow an negotiating window for an extension?

It's been widely reported that the Mets are likely going to trade him. Letting a team negotiate with him obviously significantly increases the amount they can get for him because of the reason just gave - that he can be a free agent after a year. And it's a good deal for us because we stink at SS, and he's a far better SS than any other option mentioned. He makes the team significantly better.

I'd look to sign a 1B to a 1-year deal so we can make a serious run and AGon next offseason.

AGon will be a Padre or with the Red Sox in 2012. Do you really think we can outbid Boston for a player they covet?

Pujols isn't going to be an Oriole either as we are not paying $30 million per year for anybody.

That leaves Fielder who will be available this offseason BTW and won't cost as much to get as some people think.

No guarantee he wants to sign with us or that he'll be there.
And there is no guarantee he will sign with us either. You can keep saying this but it doesn't make it true.
Matt Holliday, Jason Varitek, Alex Rodriguez to name a few...

They went to FA except when ARod re-negotiated with Boras and got a contract no one could have even come close to. These are poor examples.

Because there'd be 30 other teams with a chance to get him then.

That's a silly question. Who's to say anyone will do anything. If he's not willing to do it, then forget it. He'd do it to get the security of a long-term contract.

Use Furcal as a basis - since his career has gone very similarly to Furcal's. Furcal's making 12 mil now and his previous contract was 3/39. I don't think there's been much inflation. Give him a 3/40 extension.

It's been widely reported that the Mets are likely going to trade him. Letting a team negotiate with him obviously significantly increases the amount they can get for him because of the reason just gave - that he can be a free agent after a year. And it's a good deal for us because we stink at SS, and he's a far better SS than any other option mentioned. He makes the team significantly better.

I disagree with a lot of this...But let's just say that there is zero chance he signs here for 3/40.

They went to FA except when ARod re-negotiated with Boras and got a contract no one could have even come close to. These are poor examples.

That's the point. If you want Fielder you are going to have to offer him the most money regardless.

If he doesn't extend, you still want him obviously so you'd pay for him in FA just like you'd have to pay to extend him. An extension makes no difference.

Give him the most money and he'll remain an Oriole.

But at least you go into the offseason knowing that Baltimore is likely #1 on his list for destinations which wouldn't be the case if he played for a team like Boston, so you know he'll actually take your money instead of taking less possibly to play for a proven contender.

I haven't seen too many players say they hate Baltimore. Most players want to stay, but they have to play there first to find that out.

I disagree with a lot of this...But let's just say that there is zero chance he signs here for 3/40.

Then whatever the market value is. I gave you my reasons. If you just say - I disagree, then I don't care whether or not you disagree. Don't waste my time.

I don't understand why so many people are advocating for signing Beltre to a long-term deal. This is a classic case of a guy playing for a contract. I would never give him more than a MAX 2-year deal. And really, that should be a one year deal with a big second year guaranteed if he reaches certain milestones, otherwise it is a club option. It's funny that the two years he's been really good were right before his contract came up. I just don't trust his desire for anything except money.

I am all for signing Cliff Lee, especially if you can get him on a somewhat reduced contract since he hasn't had a great second half. I also like the idea of signing Derrek Lee because we do need a RH bat. Our need of a RH bat is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to trade Jonesy (even though I'd rather keep Pie). I think it would be great to trade Jonesy for a good SS/1B/3B, but we'd miss his RH pop.

Whoever it was that said we should trade for Reyes is a genius. I love him and think he would be a great addition to our team. Roberts and Reyes at the top of the lineup could be a deadly combination. I've actually said this before. But, I agree that we might not be the best match in terms of dealing with the Mets.

That's the point. If you want Fielder you are going to have to offer him the most money regardless.

If he doesn't extend, you still want him obviously so you'd pay for him in FA just like you'd have to pay to extend him. An extension makes no difference.

Give him the most money and he'll remain an Oriole.

But at least you go into the offseason knowing that Baltimore is likely #1 on his list for destinations which wouldn't be the case if he played for a team like Boston, so you know he'll actually take your money instead of taking less possibly to play for a proven contender.

It makes a difference because whether you sign him or not, all you have done is get him for an extra year and you have had to give up a lot of talent to get him for that extra year.

And it is ridiculous to assume that we would be #1 on his list just because he played there.

Do you think Milwaukee is #1 on his list right now?

#1 on his list is whoever gives him the most money.

Archived