Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

Lee's ending strong. His "down" year now stands at .774. Since the all-star break, he's hit .297/.368/.505, and that doesn't include today's home run. He's definitely my top target even if it takes two years, which it probably will.

Then make a big run for AGon the following offseason.

I would like to add Lee as well.

But, for 1-2 years, is he worth losing your second round pick because he is a type A if Atlanta decides to offer arbitration.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prying away Brignac from a cost conscious team will be hard, but Bartlett can be had.

I would really like to get Lowrie from the Sox and I think he can be had, I just really don't know what Boston would want for him. A good bullpen arm or two?

Entering his 3rd year of arbitration, I would consider Jason Bartlett a nontender candidate. I don't envision many scenarios where the Rays enter 2011 with him on the roster, especially with Brignac.

He'll likely be traded and I really hope we go right after him. He didn't have a great year but his career average WAR is still 2.2 wins above Izturis' 2010 (Fangraph's formula, 2.3 wins according to Baseball-Reference).

And even in his down year, his OBP of .324 was 9 points HIGHER than the Orioles Team OBP!

But, for 1-2 years, is he worth losing your second round pick because he is a type A if Atlanta decides to offer arbitration.

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure he's a type B, but I'll admit I'm not entirely clear how all that works.

I would really like to get Lowrie from the Sox and I think he can be had, I just really don't know what Boston would want for him. A good bullpen arm or two?

Red Sox are definitely not going to move Lowrie, especially not for a bullpen arm or two. They view him as part of their core moving forward. If anyone can be had from Boston, it's Scutaro, who might be worth looking into.

If Atlanta offered arbitration why wouldn't he except it? He won't get more than 2 years at best as a FA and probably not as much money as he would get in arbitration.

If ATlanta offered arbitration why wouldn't he except it? He won't get more than 2 years at best as a FA and probably not as much money as he would get in arbitration.

I don't think they'll offer arbitration anyways. Their payroll is tight and they have Freeman knocking on the door.

Atlanta won't offer arbitration. If they do, he'll very nearly HAVE to accept it considering how the market shrinks for Type A players who would only likely receive 1-2 years anyway. It's just not worth losing the pick.

I do like Lee a lot for next year and considering it might be possible to make his 2nd year a vesting option, I'd prefer him to any of the other options, all of whom would likely require multi-year deals.

Atlanta won't offer arbitration. If they do, he'll very nearly HAVE to accept it considering how the market shrinks for Type A players who would only likely receive 1-2 years anyway. It's just not worth losing the pick.

I do like Lee a lot for next year and considering it might be possible to make his 2nd year a vesting option, I'd prefer him to any of the other options, all of whom would likely require multi-year deals.

I thought Lee was a type B for next year. Anyone clear on this?

I thought Lee was a type B for next year. Anyone clear on this?

He is a Type B now because of his poor performance this season..

I'm not sure why so many people are gung ho on the guy. He's lost speed and power and has dealt with many nagging injuries this season and he'll be 35.

He's not exactly somebody that will make a difference on this club, or be a threat in the lineup.

He'll make a decent placeholder like a Kevin Millar for a team that doesn't want to win now and would rather tread water.

That is not Showalter's Orioles.

SG, you are one of the most insightful, knowledgeable, interesting and amusing posters on here. That said, what makes you believe that Casey Kotchman will help us compete in the American League East at the most premium hitting position? The Yankees have T-Bag, the Red Sox have Youk. We need a stud, not an average hitter for a second baseman. On this team, there really is not a difference between our first baseman being Casey Kotchman and Jeff Tackett. We will be super-uncompetitive either way.

Archived