Austin Rivers commits to Duke!

Sports Guy

I think it's more annoyance towards people (SG in this case) who clearly jumped on the bandwagon of a team that they would have no good reason for rooting for and is hated in these parts, then on top of that, being rather prominent in bragging about them and putting down the home team. Beaner for instance can easily get away with posting a thread about UNC getting a top recruit because he stands in sharp contrast to what I just said.

Anyway, I do agree that Coach K being the USA coach has helped some with recruiting.

Concerning big men, Plumlee was a huge recruit, as have some other Duke big men, but K's recent track record with them isn't as good as with the perimeter players.

Thanks!

Carolina got the best player in the country this year, it's only fair that Duke gets Rivers i guess.

As for putting down the home team, I root for Maryland except when they play the Heels, so that'll never happen. I'll stand by my notion that Gary Williams is one of the best coaches in the country until he hangs it up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks!

Carolina got the best player in the country this year, it's only fair that Duke gets Rivers i guess.

As for putting down the home team, I root for Maryland except when they play the Heels, so that'll never happen. I'll stand by my notion that Gary Williams is one of the best coaches in the country until he hangs it up.

It's almost college hoops time!!!!

Can't wait to talk hoops with the regulars around these parts.

Go Hoos and Dukes!

• 4 weeks later...

Duke secured Quinn Cook today...#5 PG and #24 overall by ESPN.

4 top 100 guys for next year...Nice class for them.

With MD bringing in a solid class and I am sure, UNC will bring in one, I think there is a good chance those 3 are fighting for the top ACC spot next year(assuming Jordan Williams comes back..also assuming Irving and Barnes are gone).

Duke secured Quinn Cook today...#5 PG and #24 overall by ESPN.

4 top 100 guys for next year...Nice class for them.

With MD bringing in a solid class and I am sure, UNC will bring in one, I think there is a good chance those 3 are fighting for the top ACC spot next year(assuming Jordan Williams comes back..also assuming Irving and Barnes are gone).

Duke really seems to be stocking up on guards. Beside Rivers and Cook, who are the other two guys? I don't follow recruiting very closely. Do we have little Plumlee coming, or is he going somewhere else?

Duke really seems to be stocking up on guards. Beside Rivers and Cook, who are the other two guys? I don't follow recruiting very closely. Do we have little Plumlee coming, or is he going somewhere else?

Yea, they got Marshall Plumee, who was the #4 center...and Michael Gbinjie, who is the #5 small forward I believe.

So, in terms of size and assuming no one leaves early or transfers, Duke will have all 3 Plumlees, Ryan Kelly and Hairston..Hairston being the shortest at 6'7"...The other 4 are 6'10" or taller.

Yea, they got Marshall Plumee, who was the #4 center...and Michael Gbinjie, who is the #5 small forward I believe.

So, in terms of size and assuming no one leaves early or transfers, Duke will have all 3 Plumlees, Ryan Kelly and Hairston..Hairston being the shortest at 6'7"...The other 4 are 6'10" or taller.

Sounds good. I guess the Plumlees will get plenty of practice time together!

Just as an aside, while I'm psyched to see Kyrie Irving, I'm not a big fan of Duke recruiting guys who are likely to be "one and done." To me, that's not what Duke is about.

Sounds good. I guess the Plumlees will get plenty of practice time together!

Just as an aside, while I'm psyched to see Kyrie Irving, I'm not a big fan of Duke recruiting guys who are likely to be "one and done." To me, that's not what Duke is about.

The problem is, Duke went through a long streak there were they had good teams but no athletes and very little chance of winning a title..Hell, they could barely get to a sweet 16.

So, those types of kids are ones that you need a lot of the times.

I would prefer them not to get the one and dones as well but those guys can win you titles.

Lol nice. first of all, nobody else except you and a few other bandwagoners here cares about Duke. Also. the exclamation points. look at me! My team got an overrated recruit! There are also no other big commits posted so this thread is pretty much pointless. Congradulations on your coach recruiting some non white players .

I'm a Duke fan (and yes, I follow their football team too), and I couldn't let this get no-sold.

Austin Rivers is as far from an overrated recruit as you can get. The dude is a machine. I look forward to all the Maryland fans seeing how "overrated" AR really is when he's making it rain all over the Comcast Center.

Also, the "ZOMG K only recruits white guys" argument is so ridiculously false and old, get some new material. K has recruited the following African American players from 2003-Class of 2011:

Luol Deng

DeMarcus Nelson

Shaun Livingston (went to NBA)

Eric Boateng

Jamal Boykin

Lance Thomas

David McClure

Gerald Henderson

Elliot Williams

Nolan Smith

Seth Curry

Andre Dawkins

Josh Hairston

Tyler Thornton

Kyrie Irving

Austin Rivers

Quinn Cook

Michael Gbinije

And in the same time frame has recruited the following white guys:

Mason Plumlee

Miles Plumlee

Marshall Plumlee

Greg Paulus

Josh McRoberts

Jon Scheyer

Brian Zoubek

Ryan Kelly

Olek Czyz

Kyle Singler

Taylor King

Martynas Pocius

Which brings us to totals of:

African Americans: 18

Caucasians: 12

god-haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

The problem is, Duke went through a long streak there were they had good teams but no athletes and very little chance of winning a title..Hell, they could barely get to a sweet 16.

So, those types of kids are ones that you need a lot of the times.

I would prefer them not to get the one and dones as well but those guys can win you titles.

Well, they did OK last year with some guys who weren't great athletes but had a lot of experience, poise and guts.

I guess part of it is because I went to school there, but to me Duke is a lot more than just a basketball factory. I really don't want them to start looking like Kentucky, relying on players whose goal is to be in college for the shortest possible time.

Hmmm, I thought you said you were a Florida fan?

I root for both and have since I was 6 years old.

Well, they did OK last year with some guys who weren't great athletes but had a lot of experience, poise and guts.

I guess part of it is because I went to school there, but to me Duke is a lot more than just a basketball factory. I really don't want them to start looking like Kentucky, relying on players whose goal is to be in college for the shortest possible time.

I don't think that'll happen. I think part of the recruiting "slump" from 04-07 was because after Deng and Livingston, K was a little gunshy about going after players like that and instead went after guys who were more than likely 4 year guys. I think he's realized that it's alright to mix in a few studs like Irving and Rivers as long as there's experience around it. I expect Dawkins/Hairston/Curry/Kelly/Thornton/Gbinije/Cook to stay around for awhile, which still leaves a great core if/when guys like Rivers and Irving bolt.

Duke isn't going to become Kentucky and rely on one and done guys.

However, sprinkling some of them in from time to time is fine with me...and besides, you never know if a player decides to stay one more year.

Duke isn't going to become Kentucky and rely on one and done guys.

However, sprinkling some of them in from time to time is fine with me...and besides, you never know if a player decides to stay one more year.

I am kind of old school in this way. I really enjoy seeing guys who stay for four years and graduate. Look at a guy like Zoubek last year -- who suddenly became an important player after 3.5 seasons as a non-factor -- to me that kind of stuff is what makes college basketball so special. I realize that the super-talented kids would be crazy to stay in college for four years and risk injury. But Duke has had a bunch of seniors every time they have won the championship, and frankly that's the way I like it.

Archived