And let's not even begin to bring up who brought Showalter in. MacPhail had absolutely ZIPPY to do with it. ;)

Angelos, of course. He told MacPhail to get with the program and accept a back seat to Buck, or he'd have been fired on the spot. If not taken away by the Illuminati's black helicopters...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Markakis - Drafted under Syd Thrift

Roberts - Drafted under Frank Wren

Wieters - Drafted under Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette

Arrieta - Drafted under Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette

Bergesen - Drafted under Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan

Hernandez - Drafted under Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan

Johnson - Drafted under Syd Thrift

Berken - Drafted under Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan

MacPhail can't and shouldn't be given credit for any of those players. They were all in the system or drafted when he took control.

Without them this team would have not had the success it has had under Showalter.

So if these guys were so great at what they did, then why did the Orioles suck? Why was the 2001 team worse than anything we've seen in these parts since 1988, including this season. Why did the Orioles make little to no progress during that time. Heck, why were Flannagan and Duquette FIRED in favor of Andy MacPhail?

It's because they were terrible. Even if you think little of MacPhail, which you clearly do, you cannot deny or ignore that fact.

So if these guys were so great at what they did, then why did the Orioles suck? Why was the 2001 team worse than anything we've seen in these parts since 1988, including this season. Why did the Orioles make little to no progress during that time. Heck, why were Flannagan and Duquette FIRED in favor of Andy MacPhail?

It's because they were terrible. Even if you think little of MacPhail, which you clearly do, you cannot deny or ignore that fact.

And the key thing to remember, outside of Arrieta, Wieters, and Markakis, it took several years in the minors for these players to mature, on average 3-4 seasons, thus we won't see the fruition of MacPhail's drafts for another season or two.

And the key thing to remember, outside of Arrieta, Wieters, and Markakis, it took several years in the minors for these players to mature, on average 3-4 seasons, thus we won't see the fruition of MacPhail's drafts for another season or two.
And another thing. A major part of a GM's job is handling the owner. AM is the only GM ever to come near to doing that. :laughlol:

No where did I imply that the talent succeeding under Showalter was mostly MacPhail's. I gave him credit for Wieters and Arrieta because of him taking over between their drafting and their signing, but I was clear with my statement. You one the other hand were the one that declared "And the talent that is succeeding under MacPhail was mostly assembled by his predecessor."

There are 2 things that happened when AM became GM.

DT had just been named interim manager

Wieters and Arreita were still unsigned.

AM kept DT on as interim manager - Trea has criticized AM for this decision

AM signed Wieters and Arrieta - Trea gives AM no credit for this

Interesting living in Trea's world.

There are 2 things that happened when AM became GM.

DT had just been named interim manager

Wieters and Arreita were still unsigned.

AM kept DT on as interim manager - Trea has criticized AM for this decision

AM signed Wieters and Arrieta - Trea gives AM no credit for this

Interesting living in Trea's world.

There is a contention point that Angelos had to step in to get Wieters signed, as it seemed MacPhail was ready to let him walk.

But because of the split regimes for the events, I would split credit or negate it completely.

It's really saddening to me that this person has nothing better to do in his life than troll a message board and post the same ridiculous arguments in different wording multiple times each day. It makes me not even want to read this forum anymore because it gets brought down so much. I actually know several other O's fans who refuse to read/sign up/post because "that JTrea guy kills the mood". It's just sad.

And just to stay on topic, not giving MacPhail any credit for the improvements made over the past 2.5 years is crazy. Bedard/Miggy trades don't happen without him, who knows if Wieters signs, and I doubt any of the ST facility improvements happen either as he was pushing hard for that.

And what is wrong with that statement?

I'll admit the talent is a mix of all regimes but the majority of the difference making talent for this club was acquired under another GM not named MacPhail.

Scott, Pie, and Jones were 1, 4, 5 in .OPS this year among regulars. Only Markakis and Roberts - you know, the ones who AM signed to long term contracts - were also in the top 5.

Scott, Pie, and Jones were 1, 4, 5 in .OPS this year among regulars. Only Markakis and Roberts - you know, the ones who AM signed to long term contracts - were also in the top 5.

Scott had a career year, but I'd be hestiant to call him a cornerstone. He has to prove this year wasn't a fluke.

Pie is a 4th OFer at best. He didn't show up during the month of September and missed a large chunk of time due to injury.

Jones is a cornerstone, and I've given MacPhail credit for that one already.

Archived