BA Carolina League top 20 Prospects:Avery #12

jcarm

Apropos of nothing, did anyone notice that the Tigers have a pitcher named Ryan Perry? I can't wait for the Ryan Perry - Ryan Berry matchup!

I also tend to favor Hoes over Avery. But that may just be my own bias because he's a local kid.

Apropos of nothing, did anyone notice that the Tigers have a pitcher named Ryan Perry? I can't wait for the Ryan Perry - Ryan Berry matchup!

I also tend to favor Hoes over Avery. But that may just be my own bias because he's a local kid.

I don't know if I would call it a bias, but Hoes shot up near the top of my personal interest chart when I read Tony's recent comments re: scouts' takes and Hoes's showing in the instructional camp.

Speaking of which... any updates, Tony?

BA obviously did not talk to the same scouts that Tony has talked to regarding Hoes.

BA does not use their own staff for the rankings but rather employ scouts, personnel directors, etc. Hoes hit .278 with zero power and limited defense. He may someday be a high prospect but he isn't one now. I said this before the Carolina rankings came out and I'll say it again. I was wrong on Avery but no. 12 is hardly an unconditional vote of confidence. Avery still has a long, long way to go. Witness the Orioles having him play for Bowie in the Eastern playoffs against Potomac. In four games, he went hitless. There is a good chance Bowie will get nobody and Norfolk will of course get Britton. So out of a possible 140 players( 7 teams), the Orioles will have two. p.s. the question is not how many of BA's listed players make it but how many players who aren't listed ever become MLB players. BA is saying these guys have MLB potential. Not all potential is actualized but zero potential always means zero actuality.

BA does not use their own staff for the rankings but rather employ scouts, personnel directors, etc. Hoes hit .278 with zero power and limited defense. He may someday be a high prospect but he isn't one now. I said this before the Carolina rankings came out and I'll say it again. I was wrong on Avery but no. 12 is hardly an unconditional vote of confidence. Avery still has a long, long way to go. Witness the Orioles having him play for Bowie in the Eastern playoffs against Potomac. In four games, he went hitless. There is a good chance Bowie will get nobody and Norfolk will of course get Britton. So out of a possible 140 players( 7 teams), the Orioles will have two. p.s. the question is not how many of BA's listed players make it but how many players who aren't listed ever become MLB players. BA is saying these guys have MLB potential. Not all potential is actualized but zero potential always means zero actuality.

You'd be astounded at the number of undrafted FA that have played in the major leagues...

BA actually talks to league managers in the league to do their league rankings. They may talk to personnel directors, but they do not employ them. They may also employ former scouts, but mostly they just talk to active scouts. Most of their "experts" are not scouts at all, they will usually admit that in their stories or their chats. But of course, what is a scout other than a person that watches baseball games and evaluates players. We can all be scouts of some sort. That being said, I do believe that BA is a valuable resource and have subscribed to it for about 20 years now. I am very familiar with how they form their rankings.

p.s. the question is not how many of BA's listed players make it but how many players who aren't listed ever become MLB players. BA is saying these guys have MLB potential. Not all potential is actualized but zero potential always means zero actuality.

David Hernandez and Jason Berken were never on a BA top 20 list so far as I know. Neither they nor Brad Bergesen made the Eastern League top 20 in 2008 (Bergesen was no. 16 in the Carolina League in 2007). Yet all three were in the majors by May the following season. So, the players on these lists clearly are not the only ones with major league potential.

It was late in the chat, but I'm surprised no one's posted it yet.

Dylan Paul (Chapel Hill, NC): Where does LJ Hoes rank in comparison to some other CL second basemen? What is his overall prospect value now/future ML projection?

Lacy Lusk: He and Lynchburg's Cody Puckett were the top two second basemen who didn't make the top 20. Would say Hoes could well be an everyday major league second baseman. Has the bat and the range to stay in the middle of the infield for sure.

BA obviously did not talk to the same scouts that Tony has talked to regarding Hoes.

There seems to be a huge difference in what BA thinks vs what the Hangout thinks about Hoes. If he excells next season, this will be a coup of sorts for the Hangout.

David Hernandez and Jason Berken were never on a BA top 20 list so far as I know. Neither they nor Brad Bergesen made the Eastern League top 20 in 2008 (Bergesen was no. 16 in the Carolina League in 2007). Yet all three were in the majors by May the following season. So, the players on these lists clearly are not the only ones with major league potential.

No, but they are generally indicative of talent level within an organization. That means our talent pool seems smaller than most others right now.

BA actually talks to league managers in the league to do their league rankings. They may talk to personnel directors, but they do not employ them. They may also employ former scouts, but mostly they just talk to active scouts. Most of their "experts" are not scouts at all, they will usually admit that in their stories or their chats. But of course, what is a scout other than a person that watches baseball games and evaluates players. We can all be scouts of some sort. That being said, I do believe that BA is a valuable resource and have subscribed to it for about 20 years now. I am very familiar with how they form their rankings.

Sorry for the confusion. By employ, I meant make use of.

Sorry for the confusion. By employ, I meant make use of.

Also just to be clear, the BA staffers do put together the lists after receiving input from managers on the league lists and scouts on the team lists. The opinion of the BA staffer is certainly involved in the list, in other words.

I say again, take these lists with a giant grain of salt. Most people don't know the Hoes background story on his season when it came to the mono. These lists are fun but they truly mean very little because they normally come from polls from the league managers and coaches.

Archived