Official 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread: October 12th - November 20th

Crazysilver03

Arizona Fall League Website

The Orioles' prospects will be playing on the Scottsdale Scorpions, on the following dates, accompanied by Bowie pitching coach Blaine Beatty. Note that the AFL does not play on Sundays. The AFL West will face the AFL East on Saturday November 6th. The regular season ends on Thursday November 18th, followed by an off-day and the Championship game on Saturday November 20th.

On the pitching side, the Orioles are sending:

Oliver Drake

Pat Egan

Kam Mickolio

Wynn Pelzer

On the hitting side, the Orioles are sending:

CF Xavier Avery

C Caleb Joseph

INF Ryan Adams

SS Greg Miclat

1B Tyler Townsend

Note: Tyler Townsend is part of the taxi squad. He will play in the AFL and head to Australia once the AFL season concludes.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the most uninspiring group of players we've sent to the AFL in about 6 years. Townsend is semi-interesting, but he's on the taxi squad, I believe, and his playing time will be very limited. The rest of them will be fortunate to get a shot at a relief pitching job or a utililty infielder job in the majors someday.

The purpose of the AFL is not supposed to be about awe-inspiring players; it's more about "we're not exactly sure what we have here so let's get another look". If they had sent someone like Avery, who already had over 600 PAs in the minors this year, you wouldn't garnish anything new about him and you'd be overworking him.

The purpose of the AFL is not supposed to be about awe-inspiring players; it's more about "we're not exactly sure what we have here so let's get another look".

Not so. In the last few years we've sent Loewen, Markakis, Reimold, Arrieta, Wieters, Matusz, Snyder and Bell. That's the cream of the crop of our minor league organization. There are some others that have fit into the category you describe, but there are a lot of top players in the AFL year in and year out.

I'm not commenting on whether we brought the right guys. I'm commenting on my level of interest in closely following the AFL this year, compared to recent years.

Not so. In the last few years we've sent Loewen, Markakis, Reimold, Arrieta, Wieters, Matusz, Snyder and Bell. That's the cream of the crop of our minor league organization. There are some others that have fit into the category you describe, but there are a lot of top players in the AFL year in and year out.

I'm not commenting on whether we brought the right guys. I'm commenting on my level of interest in closely following the AFL this year, compared to recent years.

Wieters, Arrieta, and Matusz were drafted out of college and had not participated in the minor league season during which they were drafted, so this was the first time they got professional experience and it was to help push them along. We didn't have anyone like that coming out of this draft.

Loewen couldn't stay healthy and we needed him to get the innings.

Snyder, Bell, Reimold, and Markakis all went with the hope that we could push them along. That worked with Markakis, not so much with Snyder and Bell.

I admit, this group is uninspiring, but of course you aren't really going to send any good pitchers.

Wieters, Arrieta, and Matusz were drafted out of college and had not participated in the minor league season during which they were drafted, so this was the first time they got professional experience and it was to help push them along. We didn't have anyone like that coming out of this draft.

Loewen couldn't stay healthy and we needed him to get the innings.

Snyder, Bell, Reimold, and Markakis all went with the hope that we could push them along. That worked with Markakis, not so much with Snyder and Bell.

I admit, this group is uninspiring, but of course you aren't really going to send any good pitchers.

You are right about Arrieta and Matusz. Wieters went to the AFL after his monster season at Frederick/Norfolk. He was in Hawaii the winter before.

Loewen was fully healthy in 2005, having pitched 142 innings at Frederick before the AFL season.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not second-guessing the Orioles' choice of who to send. I'm just saying it isn't a very interesting group in terms of their long-term potential to be major pieces of the puzzle in Baltimore, compared to the guys we've sent the last 5 years. I recall we had some pretty uninspiring groups for a few years before 2005, too.

I feel as though Drake, Miclat, Joseph, Avery and Townsend all have the opportunity to play for the Orioles someday. Egan and Adams do to, but I feel that the chance is more remote. This could be Kam the Almighty's last chance, but it's definitely to make up for all the innings he missed this year.

You are right about Arrieta and Matusz. Wieters went to the AFL after his monster season at Frederick/Norfolk. He was in Hawaii the winter before.

Loewen was fully healthy in 2005, having pitched 142 innings at Frederick before the AFL season.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not second-guessing the Orioles' choice of who to send. I'm just saying it isn't a very interesting group in terms of their long-term potential to be major pieces of the puzzle in Baltimore, compared to the guys we've sent the last 5 years. I recall we had some pretty uninspiring groups for a few years before 2005, too.

In 2001, the Orioles sent Rick Bauer, Steve Bechler, Erik Bedard, Mike Paradis, Willie Harris, and Keith Reed.

In 2003, the Orioles sent Tim Corcoran, Rodney Ormond, Aaron Rakers, Mike Seestedt, Gary Cates, Kris Wilken, and B.J. Littleton.

In 2004, the Orioles sent David Crouthers, Brian Forystek, Richard Stahl, Eli Whiteside, Mike Huggins, and Woody Cliffords.

In 2005, the Orioles sent Adam Loewen, Cory Morris, Andy Mitchell, Ryan Hubele, Brandon Fahey, Tripper Johnson, Val Majewski, and Nick Markakis.

In 2006, the Orioles sent Brian Finch, Ryan Keefer, Cory Morris, Bryan Bass, Jeff Fiorentino, and Nolan Reimold.

In 2007, the Orioles sent Jake Arrieta, Hayden Penn, Nolan Reimold, Bob McCrory, Jeff Fiorentino, Jim Johnson, and Paco Figueroa.

In 2008, the Orioles sent Matt Wieters, Blake Davis, Brandon Snyder, Nolan Reimold, and a handful of pitchers.

In 2001, the Orioles sent Rick Bauer, Steve Bechler, Erik Bedard, Mike Paradis, Willie Harris, and Keith Reed.

In 2003, the Orioles sent Tim Corcoran, Rodney Ormond, Aaron Rakers, Mike Seestedt, Gary Cates, Kris Wilken, and B.J. Littleton.

In 2004, the Orioles sent David Crouthers, Brian Forystek, Richard Stahl, Eli Whiteside, Mike Huggins, and Woody Cliffords.

In 2005, the Orioles sent Adam Loewen, Cory Morris, Andy Mitchell, Ryan Hubele, Brandon Fahey, Tripper Johnson, Val Majewski, and Nick Markakis.

In 2006, the Orioles sent Brian Finch, Ryan Keefer, Cory Morris, Bryan Bass, Jeff Fiorentino, and Nolan Reimold.

In 2007, the Orioles sent Jake Arrieta, Hayden Penn, Nolan Reimold, Bob McCrory, Jeff Fiorentino, Jim Johnson, and Paco Figueroa.

In 2008, the Orioles sent Matt Wieters, Blake Davis, Brandon Snyder, Nolan Reimold, and a handful of pitchers.

Not a lot to see in that 2001-04 group. I don't think I was aware of the AFL back in 2001. I certainly would have been following Erik Bedard if I had been aware of it.

Not a lot to see in that 2001-04 group. I don't think I was aware of the AFL back in 2001. I certainly would have been following Erik Bedard if I had been aware of it.

I had never even heard of some of the players we sent in that group. I think I started following the Orioles' minor league system when Morris, Finch, Forystek, and Crouthers were the top pitching prospects.

Archived