Roch talks about filling 1B

JTrea81

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/10/talking-free-agents-and-spring-training.html

He wants VMart the most especially because of how he hits LHP.

Also he mentions the Orioles are willing to deal Tillman:

From what I've heard, Chris Tillman is the one member of the cavalry that the Orioles would be most willing to trade at the moment. They're not looking to unload him and they haven't given up on him. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. But they'd be OK with including him in a package.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon this guy is like 22 years old!(overreaction) If they give up on him after two half seasons they are crazy!(Yet another overreaction) I say let him throw that two seamer more often and watch him become a god!(Optomistic overreaction) :D
During the 2000 season, Halladay sported a 10.64 earned run average (ERA) in 19 games, 13 of which he started, making his 2000 season the worst in history for any pitcher with at least 50 innings pitched.[7] At the beginning of the 2001 season, Halladay was optioned to Class A Dunedin Blue Jays to rebuild his delivery.

-Wikipedia

That all occurred when Halladay was 23ish. Can you imagine if the Blue Jays "gave up" on him?...not that they really did anything significant with him in their rotation...but for an O's crowd that is still mad about John Maine, I can't imagine the reaction of losing what becomes someone else's ace.

-Wikipedia

That all occurred when Halladay was 23ish. Can you imagine if the Blue Jays "gave up" on him?...not that they really did anything significant with him in their rotation...but for an O's crowd that is still mad about John Maine, I can't imagine the reaction of losing what becomes someone else's ace.

Maine was galling because he turned out to have been one of the few decent players produced by a system that was turning out bust after bust, and because the guy they got back wasn't anything special, and because the trade didn't do anything to get the O's out of their losing rut.

When we look back from 2015, Tillman almost certainly won't be the solitary shining light surrounded by a bunch of busts. And even if he turns out to be an ace for someone else, his loss will be more acceptable if he brings back a good player who helps turn the O's into winners.

I like Tillman, and I'd like to see him develop, but every player on the roster should be available if the O's see a chance to make the team better.

-Wikipedia

He could end up the next Halladay, or the next Van Poppel. To get value you have to be willing to give it.

I don't think Tillman's perceived value (what we could get in a trade for him) is anywhere near his actual value (what he will become). So, unless someone wants to pay for his "actual value" I wouldn't trade him.

Well, if we knew for sure what he will become, then the decision would be much easier.

But nobody--including Tillman himself--really knows what he will become. Even setting aside the possibility of injury, the range of possibilities for Tillman goes from fringe failure (maybe another year or two in MLB at barely replacement level) to decent swing man, to solid starter, to TOR ace. All you can do is make your best guess where he ends up on that spectrum.

There is no "actual value" as long as the questions are that large. If some team's best guess has him higher than the Orioles' best guess, and if the O's like whatever is being offered, then there's a good chance that he will be traded. Until that happens, the questions will be answered while he's in an O's uniform.

If some team's best guess has him higher than the Orioles' best guess, and if the O's like whatever is being offered, then there's a good chance that he will be traded. Until that happens, the questions will be answered while he's in an O's uniform.

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. I still have a good feeling that Tillman is going to be a very valuable member of our rotation for many years. I think he'll end up as a #2 or 3, but that is probably higher than most people think. I'd like to see us give him a chance to develop that 2 seamer while playing for us, because I think it is going to be what turns him into a quality SP.

I think this is a more of a which pitcher you rather deal to get a power bat or SS...Britton, Matusz, Tillman or Arrietta?

I rank them like this

1. Britton

2. Matusz

3. Arrieta

4. Tillman

Some would be surprised to see Britton ahead of Matusz, but groundball pitchers fit the O's the best and Britton has an insane GB rate which makes him made for OPACY. The fact that he's LH shoots him to the top as our most valuable pitcher IMO.

Tillman is the most expendable out of those 4, though I wouldn't hesitate to trade Arrieta in the right deal.

Archived