Roch talks about filling 1B

JTrea81

Martinez now says he's willing to do "anything."

Martinez also appears to have softened his position about only wanting to catch. Asked if a team wanting him as a catcher would have more appeal than another thinking of using him in a variety of roles, Martinez said, “You know what? I’ll do anything. I just want to go and win. I do want to win. I’ll do anything I have to do to make a team better, but the only thing I ask is be treated fair.

“I’m young enough. I work really hard. I just want to win. I want to put a ring on my finger.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/6658/v-martinez-ill-do-anything

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, he is talking about how all he wants to do is win and he is talking to the Orioles? Is that a joke?

The Orioles held their own against the Sox. And they did have the best record in the AL East under Buck.

If Martinez knows Buck covets him, you know he's going to want to market himself accordingly. Remember Buck has already taken calls from players that want to play for him, perhaps VMart is one of them...

The Orioles held their own against the Sox. And they did have the best record in the AL East under Buck.

If Martinez knows Buck covets him, you know he's going to want to market himself accordingly. Remember Buck has already taken calls from players that want to play for him, perhaps VMart is one of them...

The orioles finished 20 games out of 4th place.

The only way Vmart is coming here is if you offer him one of those stupid contracts that you usually advocate giving out.

Depends on what we had to give up for fielder and how many years it would take to get Vmart.

Tillman/Arrieta, Bell and Hernandez/VandenHurk and you don't get an extension.

3/42 for VMart with a player option for 14 million.

Tillman/Arrieta, Bell and Hernandez/VandenHurk and you don't get an extension.

3/42 for VMart with a player option for 14 million.

Maybe Fielder there...The player option definitely happens because he won't be worth close to that.

But you aren't likely getting Fielder for that offer anyway.

Either move would be idiotic though.

Trading half the nuggets for Fielder or some other superstar would be a ridiculous move. He'll never extend here with the team this unsettled and with no real chance of winning. I don't think Showalter would ever go for something that stupid.

The Orioles should either try to get a good second line FA, trade for somebody with 2-3 years left before free agency (not a superstar but somebody good who you have a chance to extend) or trade for a top prospect at first or third...or some combination of the above.

Archived